Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 October 2008
Jeff Beck enthralled London audiences at Ronnie Scotts jazz club for almost an entire week in late 2007. I am fortunate to have the concert CD when he was joined by Eric Clapton to perform two blues numbers. In the audience were Jimmy Page and Brian May. Beck's continuing mastery of the guitar is astonishing. He combines incomparable technique with a heavenly feel for nuance while demonstrating a supernatural utilization of the fretboard and pickup controls. He's the master of his craft. This CD is a dazzling display of the most invigorating, innovative and diverse jazz-fusion, rock, blues and electronica guitar virtuosity exhibited in years augmented by a few mindblowing hard rock gems. Song highlights include "Led Boots", "Nadia", "Beck's Bolero",the frenetic "Scatterbrain", the emotive "Angels" and the inimitable "Where Were You". Jeff Beck's majestic rendition of " A Day In The Life" has rightfully won a Grammy Award for best rock instrumental performance. Jeff Beck is God's guitarist. This CD is an imperative purchase for all guitar fans and guitarists. Jeff Beck can strangle and caress a universe of sounds from his instrument to the amazement of his many peers and fans.
33 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have loved Beck since first hearing his Yardbirds' excursions into feedback numbers around 1972, surprisingly close to when they were released, as I didn't think then.
This is an astonishingly good CD, the best I have heard in years and I have never heard a better. The band is tight and swings, Beck himself has, as another observed, not merely 'just' lasted, he continues to improve. Combined with a master's power and skill he has a lyrical tone that amazes in its range - it is hard to imagine anyone doing to 'A Day in the Life' what Jeff does; he somehow captures its essence to match Hendrix's 'Like a Rolling Stone' he played at Monterey as a cover version of supreme quality.
If Jeff had, like Hendrix, been a 'light that burns so brightly burns half as long', that would have earned a palm; it stretches credulity that he, happening upon (negative) feedback before Hendrix, is still a pioneer forty plus years later: power, poetry, swing, fervour, passion, it's all here, and more.
Just mull over that last bit; it is, to use that over-used word, incredible. He is a genius and this collection captures his and a fine band's many moods. No praise is too high for this beautiful combination of what someone once called extreme delicacy and heavy metal brutality. He remains The Man!
And he seems like a really nice bloke. Good on yer Jeff.
on 3 January 2014
Absolutely fantastic. I always thought of Jeff Beck as the Hi Ho Silver Lining man until I saw this on Sky Arts1 one night. I was so impressed that I ordered it from Amazon immediately. I also ordered the CD for home and car listening. I was amazed to see the young girl Tal Wildenfeld on bass who played as good if not better than many bass players of old. A truly brilliant Blu Ray which I would recommend to any guitarist lovers needs!
on 22 December 2013
I would urge you to buy the dvd and see four musicians having more fun than is fair on the rest if us. Tal Wilkenfeld beams from ear to ear most of the time but even the old timers are definitely enjoying every moment.
Even if you are unable to watch but just listen to the cd, you will be well rewarded. This is playing of the first division by four musicians who are at home with the genre.
on 22 January 2012
a great album that captures being at an jeff beck concert perfectly,the sound is balanced and sounds just like most studio recordings.[[ASIN:B001F9Y254 Performing This Week - Live At Ronnie Scott'S [DVD] [2009
on 22 November 2008
This combines a 'best of' Jeff, perfect sound, and magical atmosphere, all underlined by the amazing surprising guitar of the maestro. I have all Jeff's albums of course, and honestly there are always a certain number of weak songs, except on a few, but this is a perfect cd; If you ever buy only one cd from Jeff, this might be the one to have. Anyway, this is running in a loop at home, in the car, on the iPod. My favourite guitar album of the year for sure. For me this is a MUST HAVE!
on 7 March 2009
This is proof that Jeff Beck is in the premier league of stratmasters. The range of tunes, all without vocals, is as diverse as it is complete. From Jimmy Page's Beck's Bolero to the Lennon/McCartney A Day In The Life the arrangements are both innovative and exciting. Once the CD has started it would take a power cut to stop listening through to the last track. The next item to buy must be the DVD of the events at Ronnie Scott's, which is scheduled to be released in March.
A must for anyone who appreciates the sound of Fender.
on 27 April 2014
I bought this album a month ago, and it has lived in my car permanently. I know every track, every riff, every pause between notes. I find myself air-guitaring and air drumming at every opportunity! This album makes me wish I had been lucky enough to see Beck and the band play live at Ronnie Scott's myself. I am in awe of his talent, and I've fallen in love with Tal Wilkenfeld's playing too - such a brilliant young talent - she was only 20 when they did this gig! Fortunately, I'm off to see Jeff Beck in a couple of weeks, and I can only hope I'll enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed this album! Buy it - you won't regret it!!!
on 13 November 2013
this is a great DVD some fantastic guests and Jeff is really on form.THis was recorded over a weeks residency at Ronnies,check out who is in the audience Tal the girl basist is wonderful
on 20 June 2015
No matter how much I try. No matter what album I listen. This guy is just not for me.
I bought this album because my friend said that there's no way I could resist it's music. After sevaral listenings I just had to say that this is so boring album! It don't have any effect to me, except thinking that to whom I will give it, because it won't be placed in my record shell anymore. Only positive thing here is Vincent "Vinnie" Colaiuta, whose drumming is just from heaven.
I stick to Al di Meola, John McLaughlin, Harvey Mandel, Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Tosin Abasi etc ... But not Mr. Beck.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse