Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.49

on 17 October 2008
Just to say that i own it on LP and whenever i play this alboum i can't stop the tears from my eyes.I'm 43,father of two children but this music
turns me into a kid that has lost it's most beloved toy...Simply brilliant!
on 22 January 2000
I think this is one of the most amazing records I have ever heard. I knew the songs for years but really took an interest after listening to it whilst travelling around South Africa. The lyrics seemed to compell me to keep listening especially 'Behind the wall'. This song said so many things to me that i had to keep listening to it, driving everyone else mad!!! This is a must have for your CD collection.
on 2 October 2001
This album, I first listened to this album when my dad used to play it. This is probably her best album I have heard. Fast Car is probably the best song on the album with her Voice goes well with the instruments. Baby Can I hold U, is probably one of the best Love type song you will ever her, and this song was excellently done when i when to see Tracy Chapman in concert
on 16 April 2001
I owe owning this album to Spice Girl Melanie B, who, on a local radio show, played Fast Car, saying it was her favourite song. On hearing it, I bought the album. *TALKIN' BOUT A REVOLUTION opens the album in fine style; organs, guitars, impeccable vocals all make the track, but it's timeless lyrics propel this track into the league of 'standout track.' *FAST CAR is another standout - its simple instrumentation over which Tracy laments her tragic life makes this a classic. *ACROSS THE LINES deals with racism intelligently and fairly. One of the most evocative tracks on the album. *BEHIND THE WALL - a chilling, atmospheric acapella discussing domestic violence. *BABY CAN I HOLD YOU, which Boyzone covered in 1997, is another melodic lament of love, like Fast Car. *MOUNTAINS O' THINGS is one of the more different tracks on the CD - afro-caribbean instrumentation backs this story of materialism. *SHE'S GOT HER TICKET is the only song that blens both reggae and country influences. Funnily, its hook is the least appealing part of the song. *WHY? is possibly the weakest track on Tracy Chapman's debut, melodically at least, as it does deal with some important social issues. *FOR MY LOVER is another standout. A killer chorus, verse, melody and story make this track. *IF NOT NOW... sees Tracy change her mood from the previous two tracks, another love lament, which, again, has a stronger verse than chorus. *FOR YOU is a perfect album closer backed solely by an acoustic guitar. This album is full of quality music and deserves to be as highly regarded as many other albums of the time, but unfortunately, is criminally under-rated
on 13 August 2009
This is the album that has "talkin about a revolution" on it. Great album. She was recognised because of this song and as one of the other reviewers has said, no one does emotive music like tracy. One of the unsung heros of our time. Also "fast car" which always pops into my head when i think of high school as thats all i listened to, for some one to make a herself better and get out of the hell she was in!. "Baby can i hold you".... SSSOOOOOOOOOO much better than the boyzone version. Original is best, and this song proves it.
all in all great tracks and great album
on 6 December 1999
The music and the lyrics on this album are superb. It really is one of my favourite albums. Unfortunately Boyzone like T Chapman's music too and did an appalling cover version of "Baby can I hold you".
on 15 January 2004
I don't think I can stress how much I love this album but I'll try. From the evocative Talkin about a Revolution to the mellow For You every single track is unique and special. My favourite tracks are Across the Lines especially the lyric 'one white boy goes blind' - i get goosebumps every time - and the more upbeat but ultimately tragic Mountains o' Things. Oh and For my Lover...see I can't choose!
Buy this album and listen to it every day - you will not be disappointed!
on 1 July 2004
I never knew who Tracy Chapman was until my boyfriend introduced me to her music. Now I am totally addicted, this lady has a superb voice with real emotion in it that you can all relate to!
She sings about real issues in the world which most artists don't do anymore!
All I can say is well done for bringing this music into my life, it is amazing!
on 1 June 2014
This is one of those albums that you play when you want to hear something intelligent and insightful.

If you have your friends round for a party, this is the last thing you want to play!!

The Lyrics are wonderfully thought through and the gentle flow of the tracks makes for a beautiful listening experience.

A Classic album about life and class differences
on 6 April 2003
from the opening of 'talking bout a revolution' to the closing track of 'for you', this album flows through without a bad song on it. Its easy to praise the singles 'fast car' and 'baby can i hold you' (pre-ruined by boyzone) but this album has much more depth than those two well known numbers. The song 'behind the wall' (sung with no instruments just tracy's voice) sums up for me the power of her lyrics and vocal range. The best way for me to review an album from the past is to see if it stands the test of time, this does!it sounds as fresh now as it would have done upon its release in the 1980's, a must for any cd collection!