5.0 out of 5 stars The Maturation Of The Bee Gees!
Published on 16 Dec 2002 by Martin A Hogan

3.0 out of 5 stars Farewell Maurice
Today is Sunday January 12, 2002 the day poor Maurice Gibb passed away which is the motivation for writing this review. In fact I have This Is Where I Came In on the cd as I write. So this is the last Bee Gees cd (as we knew them).
Why 3 stars - the die hard Bee Gees fans (see reviews below) are always going to tell you every album the write and produce is the best...
Published on 12 Jan 2003 by Rupert H. W. Barnes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Maturation Of The Bee Gees!, 16 Dec 2002
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
At long last, the Brothers Gibb have crafted an album that surpasses all their earlier efforts. The sound is more basic (less synthesizer) and more mature (simplifying all their talents). The range is varied, but always maintains an upbeat, rock filled tempo. "She Keeps On Coming" and "Voice In The Wilderness" are amazing surprises of excellent R & B rock. Is this the Bee Gees? Even the ballads are mainstream upbeat, such as, "Wedding Day", "Embrace" and the oddly named, "Loose Talk, Costs Lives". Although, the title track has been chosen as the first single (in the rest of the World), any track could make it, (save for "Technicolor Dreams", which is a pleasant, but odd novelty song). Maurice even tops himself with the Beach Boys styled "Man In The Middle" and "Walking On Air". There are lots of surprises here and there is absolutely no way to try and pick which songs will be chosen for air-play. They are all that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent warm and catchy songs, 29 April 2001
Marc Tannen (Teaneck, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
What an incredible album! Most of the songs are up tempo, harmony packed and manage to lift your spirits up every time you hear them. My favourites are Walking on air, excellent soaring vocals for with an infectious chorus, Deja Vu, dancy immediatley catchy, and Embrace, a multi levelled dancy pop song with amazing interweaving harmonies. I loved Embrace in particular because though its catchy, the structure of the song is very unpredictable, and harmonies, choruses and bridges soar out of nowhere - especially at the halfway mark when the song really steps into a gear. A great album overall. Only 2 dud tracks: wedding day and loose talk. I think the bee gees lost their ballad-writing skills after For Whom the Bell Tolls. These two tracks are just plain dreary. I must stress though, they're not representative of the album in general. Overall its a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars GROSSLY UNDER RATED AND UNDER PLAYED IN THE US, 2 Oct 2002
M. J. Rundle (Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD when it came out last year. This is a great album if you enjoy hearing both the Bee Gees group efforts and those done individually. Quite interesting.
I dropped my original CD and ruined it, so I decided to purchase the UK version. I was delighted to hear the additional two cuts that were not on the American version. One of them, "Promise the Earth" was recorded in England by Robin, according to the CD insert. The cut seems very different than the combined efforts of the brothers and quite frankly, I enjoyed it emmensely although as a group they are unique as well.
I am a Bee Gees fan from back in the sixties and grew up listening to their music....like everyone else. Quite unlike many fans, I do enjoy the different transitions that they have gone through and look forward to hearing more. And, solo efforts as well. Thus, I truly like this album and play it often.
Incidently, I heard through the grapevine that Robin is going to be releasing a solo album soon. I think it will be successful, particularly in Britain. I'm looking forward to hearing it. He has a voice that, apart from being sexy, has sustained throughout the years because of it being so unique.
I wish you great success Robin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different! - but a must have for fans!, 2 Oct 2001
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
This cd is really different in style to normal but it is really wonderful! - Songs like Sacred trust, Wedding Day, and She keeps on coming - will surely be classics of the future! Man in the middle really will be appreciated by Maurice's fan's!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bee Gees take some chances, in their old age!, 3 April 2001
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
As a long time fan of The Bee Gees, I looked forward to the new release with interest but, after their somewhat predictable albums of the last decade, some trepidation. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Although there is some wishy-washy balladry and some unwise attempts at a couple of rockier efforts, there are some very fine tracks on this new effort. Not least of these is the new single, the title track, a very bluesy affair. However, at least as enjoyable are "Technicolor Dreams", which, believe it or not, has a 1920s feel, the highly infectious "Sacred Trust",which must be the next single, the surprisingly impressive "Walking On Air", featuring Maurice on lead vocal, the soulful, elegant "Loose Talk Costs Lives" and the energetic closer, "Promise The Earth", with a more modern-sounding production.
What definitely comes across with this album is that the Gibbs have at least decided to take a few chances in their fifth decade at the top, a refreshing move.
Listen and enjoy. A return to form!

5.0 out of 5 stars Obvious Talent of the brothers Gibb, 6 April 2001
Emma Lippiatt (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
After a long wait for their new album, the Bee Gees have yet again come up with a brilliant album. With a mixture of funk, soul, fun and thoughtful songs, this is a must for any music fan. The 'Wedding day' song is much welcomed and solves the hours spent deciding on a first dance song for my wedding this June - I will be proud to dance to them then as much as I was as a child. Thank you Barry, Robin and Maurice for fulfilling yet another dream!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine new collection from a legendary outfit, 25 Sep 2001
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
Forget the hairy chests and the silly madallions. Forget the often embarrassingly high-pitched vocals of the Saturday Night Fever period. Forget the daft blow-dried hairstyles of their "kings of the disco" days.
The Bee Gees deserve our respect if only because they produced some of the most achingly beautiful pop music of the 1960s - First of May, Don't Forget To Remember, Gotta Get A Message To You, and many many more.
Their gorgeous melodies and sweeping harmonies continued to characterise their records well into the seventies and beyond.
That this latest offering - This Is Where I Came In - should be so very fine is something of a surprise to me only in so far as many a band of this vintage would have given up as a creative force a long time ago.
The title track along with songs like Wedding Day and The Extra Mile are simply 'classic Bee Gees'.
It is a much better album than we had a right to expect from these aging millionaires. They truly are wonderful songwriters. Decades after they first burst onto the scene, Robert Stigwood's answer to The Beatles continue to make their mark.
PS - For new Bee Gees fans, might I also recommend Life In A Tin Can from 1973?

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 8 Nov 2006
John M. Booker (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
Being 13 at the time this was released in 2001, I was hardly the target audience for a Bee Gees CD. However, having heard my mother play this CD, for the first (and seemingly last) time ever I could agree with her musical tastes and decided to borrow the CD.

My interest was gained initially by the CD's title track, 'This is Where I Came In', a catchy little number which is a fitting introduction to the rest of the album. However, there are many more delights in store; for my money the best tracks are Man in the Middle (sung by Maurice), Embrace (Robin), The Extra Mile (Robin) and Voice in the Wilderness (all- but lead vocals by Barry); which is without doubt the best conclusion to a song I've ever heard. Though I think this track and The Extra Mile should be placed at the end of the album.

To conclude, I hope I have portrayed my love for this album. Not in the same disco-style of the Bee Gees of the 70s, this album nonetheless has plenty to delight all. Technicolor Dreams is the widely criticised track on this album, but whilst being a trifle strange is still a pleasant ditty.

My understanding, please correct me if wrong, is that this was the last (studio) album recorded before Maurice's death. If that is the case, at least he went out on top.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great record, 4 Mar 2005
This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
This album is great. It is definitely one of those records which once you've listened to it a couple of times, you are hooked on it and can't get it out of your head. The best thing about it is the varirty and scope of this album, lots of different sounds and none of them unappealing. The best songs, in my opinion are Deja Vu. This is great because it is catchy and sounds really interesting. Plus Robin's voice sounds great. I love Just In Case because of that little twist in the chorus that is just so perfect! It sounds like poetry and is I think quite an unusual ballad. Promise The Earth I think has a really great sound. It is one of those songs you want to listen to very loudly (or maybe that's just me!) The one that sticks in my head (for days) is Embrace, it wasn't my favourite at first but it probably is now. The lyrics are inspirational (as all these are really) and the sound is great because it's so catchy. Wedding Day I thought was a bit sentimental (if i'm being picky) but now I really love it because it is romantic and has power. Technicolor Dreams is interesting and experimental sounding, a bit different so not eeryone will like it. But i like it because it is really original. All in all this record is so varied in its sound (but not quality) that it should have someone to please everyone.

This review is from: This Is Where I Came in (Audio CD)
Listen and enjoy. A return to form!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›