4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting mix
I own Jagged Little Pill and I still consider it as one of my fave albums, especially by a femaile singer/songwriter. I've lost track of her career since, though- she isn't heard of much in the UK and her songs don't let the charts alight but don't let that stop you from buying this album.
We all know the hits from Jagged and they appear here in...
Published on 17 Nov 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars great album let down by sound quality
Published on 14 Nov 2010 by K. Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting mix, 17 Nov 2005
By A Customer
We all know the hits from Jagged and they appear here in their full glory along with two songs i recognised- 'Thank you' and 'Hands Clean' both less angsty,more poppy than songs from Jagged but the more you listen, the more they grow on you!i also loved 'Everything' from the So-called chaos album, a lovely ballad that you can't believe is by Alanis and the track from MTV unplugged album is very catchy.
The worst tracks are from soundtracks- I think she would have done better with more album tracks especially 'Under Rug Swept', which is only represented by one song. The worst song is from The Prayer Circle film, a bizarre chanting song thats out of place on the album. Her cover of 'Lets fall in love' is quirky but also out of place. Another suprise was 2 tracks from 'Feast on Scraps' which were songs not put on the 'Under Rug' album- they are really good!
I would have liked a song from the accoustic Jagged Little Pill album but you can't have everything!
Overall, this is a really good album especially if you haven't brought many of her albums like me- those who have probably don't need this as the soundtrack songs aren't Alanis at her best. Jagged Little Pill will probably always be her best work but you will be suprised how good her latter work is and I'm quite tempted to buy all the albums now. Definitly worth a listen- there's no-one else quite like her!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the woman who played God, 15 Nov 2005
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Finally, Alanis Morissette’s best songs are available all together in one convenient place. This heavenly collection from the woman who played God in the movie “Dogma” covers the period 1995 to 2005, with nineteen of her “impossible to sing along to” songs that we’ve come to love.
From the incredible album “Jagged Little Pill” (1995):
Head Over Feet; You Learn; You Oughta Know; Hand in My Pocket; Ironic
From “Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie” (1998):
From “Under Rug Swept” and “Feast On Scraps” (both 2002):
Hands Clean; So Unsexy; Simple Together; Sister Blister
From “So Called Chaos” (2004):
Eight Easy Steps; Everything
And those are not all – you also get “Princes Familiar” from her “MTV Unplugged” album; a cover of the Seal song “Crazy”; “Mercy” from “Prayer Circle”; “Still” from “Dogma; the haunting “Uninvited” from “City of Angels”, and “Let’s Do It” from “De-Lovely”.
A must-have album for any fan of the often controversial, extremely talented, and sometimes foul-mouthed Canadian-American singer/songwriter/actress.
Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Collection!!!!, 20 Dec 2005
I have been a big Alanis fan for a while and i own all her albums so i was glad this greatest hits package had songs i didn't previously have: "Still" & "Mercy".
Whereas this is a great album a lot of her material is still not on it (some of it being her best).
Still if you're an alanis fan BUY IT!!!! and if you are interested in becoming one BUY IT!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars great album let down by sound quality, 14 Nov 2010
K. Mills "kemills1" (Cullar Spain) - See all my reviews
I can only give this album 3 stars not because of the tracks/artist but because of the sound quality of some of the tracks. I've already got a few albums from Alanis Morissette and I bought this one mainly for the "crazy" track but the sound quality is awful. The engineer who recorded this needs shooting. I've tried playing it on my ipod with various headphones and on my hifi system but it always sounds overblown in the base and very glassy further up the spectrum. It's such a shame as she has an amazing voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jagged Collection, 15 July 2010
Any Alanis collection has to feature songs from Jagged Little Pill. All the ones I was looking for from that landmark album are here. Some of the other selections are disappointing though. 'Let's Do It' isnt a greatest anything....

Having said all the above, if you only want one Alanis CD I think this should be the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars she is the BEST, 6 Dec 2005
I love Alanis Morissette and I think all of her songs are great and this collection proves it. Although some of my favourites are not included such as Purgatorying and The couch, any fan or newcomer can enjoy this album. And limited edition has very rich extras.Documentary Tracing The Time Period From Jagged Little Pill through To The Present.
King Of Intimidation (Live Performance From 1996 Jagged Little Pill Tour)
Can't Not (Live Performance From 1996 Jagged Little Pill Tour)
Your House (Live Performance From 2005 Jagged Little Pill Acoustic Tour) Alanis Tour Book,
Alanis Tour Photo,
Alanis All Access Passes...Ironic (Video) enjoy :)))

4.0 out of 5 stars The Collection - A good collection, 15 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Collection (Standard Edition) (MP3 Download)
I bought this collection after hearing the songs Hands Clean and Still. I had not listened to Alanis Morisette in some time but immediately liked these 2 songs and when I found out that here was a collection album that included these songs as well as some songs from Jagged Little Pill I purchased it. I'm glad I did.

I immediately liked Mercy (from the prayer cycle), so unsexy, uninvited, eight easy steps and everything. The only songs which I don't really like appear to be the only covers "Crazy" and "Let's fall in Love". (These are the ones I recognise from somewhere else).

Anyway it's made me want to listen to her other albums and no doubt I will probably purchase one or two of them. I think this is a good album featuring different styles of her singing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A curate's egg - good in places, 10 Feb 2009
Mr. Thomas Thatcher "Tom Thatcher" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
The last time I saw Alanis in concert, she was on stage at Hyde Park London, opening for the Who performing Quadrophenia for the first time, followed by Eric Clapton playing perhaps his finest ever guitar in 30 years. Not a good place to be, then, with two major acts at the peak of their form. Who wants to be opener for Pete Townsend in any circumstances?

In fairness, she did well. The songs, mostly from "Pill", were played competently and agressively. She sort-of gallumphed around the stage, yodelling away with the best of them, occasionally bending almost double to give it some on the harmonica, of which more later. She was endearing and brave, and I rather liked her show, as did the crowd.

What of this CD, then? Well, it's a very mixed bag. At her best, she writes sensible and thoughtful words, sometimes somewhat feminist, like a less angst-ridden P J Harvey. At her worst, that yodelling and seventh/octave vocal tic can become incredibly irritating. The Columbian lass Shakira also has that irritating sub-yodel in her voice, and Dido does that tiresome octave/seventh yodel too. Alanis has a strong voice that could cut tin so I wish she would not do this.

This is an odd collection and contains a few crackers and a few rather odd choices. The lowest point is when she is allowed to play harmonica on "Head over Feet", a nice song with sweet words. The harmonica break is unspeakably and irredeemably awful, and does the near-imposible in making Bob Dylan look accomplished in this field. "Let's do it, let's fall in love" is a very odd choice, but she carries it off well. "Simple together" is just lovely, softly sung and very moving indeed. "Hands Clean" and "ironic" are both absolutely smashing, but the rest is a powerful potion to take in one go.

The trouble with Alanis is that when she emotes she yodels, and when she sings it straight she is just fantastic. If you buy this, I suggest that you listen to it in bits. Alanis is chock-full of talent and there are moments of excellence: but, oh, that awful harmonica - took me back to Hyde Park.

Generally very good, but a few odd moments prevent this getting 4 stars. She has done better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars the mistress of rock/pop, 11 Oct 2007
Bj Lucas "saculnamron" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Alanis Morrisette delivers a great 'Greatest hits' compilation here. Lyrically, Alanis is the mistress songs like 'you outta know' 'Ironic' 'that I would be good' are all proof of this. Musically she is most definitely a genius, her cover of 'Crazy' is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Collection- Alanis Morrisette, 2 Jan 2006
I am a huge admirer of Alanis's artistry, and this latest offering is yummy. The extras on the DVD are excellent, and allow the veiwer to share in alanis's journey, of whom we are all a part. I loved 'lets fall in love' and the beautiful and haunting 'mercy'. A humble and genuine dvd/cd collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Collection (Standard Edition)
Buy MP3 Album4.99