5.0 out of 5 stars The Story Continues...
When I learnt that John Williams would not be scoring the fourth instalment of the Harry Potter franchise, I was excited to see what a new composer would do with this amazing opportunity. Patrick Doyle, a Scottish composer, whose most famous scores include "The Little Princess" (for which he would an award) and "Calendar Girls", although he is no newcomer to scoring...
Published on 17 Nov 2005 by Ben Tavener

3.0 out of 5 stars Good work from Doyle, but let down by the last three tracks
Published on 13 July 2011 by Anon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story Continues..., 17 Nov 2005
Overall, Doyle does a really good job at retaining the magic in the music - and although I haven't seen the film yet, to a certain extent I feel like I already have, just by listening through the soundtrack. That story-telling gift is something that he shares with John Williams, but Doyle brings in some Celtic/Gaelic influences too to do justice to his homeland.
The tracks are varied and my personal favourite, for new music, is 12) Harry in Winter. His music adds to the thriller nature of the movie - as well as the pace, majesty and beauty indicative of the Scottish setting on the film.
He keeps Hedwig's Theme - and I have to wonder whether he was asked to do so - but it's varied and modified to suit the particular track. There is also scope of a track with a brass band - as well as the three tracks at the end by Jarvis Cocker et al., the first two of which come as a bit of a shock, but I'm sure seeing the film will clarify that. Magic Works is a very cool track.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can YOU dance like a Hippogriff?, 27 Oct 2005
I have all the Harry Potter soundtracks and was most disappointed that John Williams would not be doing the music for the fourth film. I was worried that we would lose the beautiful 'Hedwig's Theme' and therefore the magical, almost Tchaikovsky-esq feel.
Ok, so there's a bit of Jarvis Cocker - certainly unexpected but not unpleasant (it brings a smile to my face hearing him chant 'can you dance like a hippogriff'. I haven't seen the film yet, but I have read the book and seen the trailers - we know this is a lot darker tale than the previous Harry Potter adventures and the music is similarly dark - warning and foreboding almost.
Patrick Doyle has done a good job, taking elements of John Williams's themes without re-hashing tired stuff that's already been done. Some of it is not instantly recognisable as Harry Potter, but that's not a bad thing. Hedwig's Theme is buried in there and pops up on occasion ... I look forward to the film and being able to buy the soundtrack (from Amazon, of course!)

1.0 out of 5 stars CD Sound Quality, 10 Aug 2011
Anyone who buys this CD and plays it on a Windows 7 OS system may find the sound quality distorted and very poor.

Please be advised this a well known problem on certain Warner Bros published CDs and Windows 7...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good work from Doyle, but let down by the last three tracks, 13 July 2011
Overall very well crafted music, with particular highlights in 'Hogwarts March,' 'Voldemort' and 'Hogwarts Hymn.' However, what I found extremely dissappointing was the last three tracks. Whilst fans of these featured artists may enjoy them, I certainly did NOT appreciate enjoying the beautiful Hogwarts Hymn then having this track followed by a screaming madman who proceeds to shout 'Are you ready for some real music?'

This aside, Doyle's work here is all very neatly crafted, with the work very accurately reflecting the mood of the scene, done especially well in 'Underwater Secrets' and 'The Black Lake.' Other good musical tracks include 'The Quidditch World Cup,' 'Harry in Winter,' 'Neville's Waltz,' the 'Potter Waltz' and the 'Death of Cedric'

The first track was used in the 2008 GCSE Music exam for AQA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick Doyle = Perfection, 19 Nov 2005
This is a truly wonderful score. As with all of Doyle's music, it is a joy to hear within or outwith the film. I find that a lot of soundtracks are boring, because they have no body in themselves so they need the visual gained from the film, (i.e they can't stand alone). That is not the case with this soundtrack.
My CD arrived a couple of days ago. I saw the film last night. I am listening to the soundtrack as I write this review. I've never left a review on this site before, but I LOVED THIS MUSIC SO MUCH that I wanted to share my thoughts with you.
I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I've read all of the books more than once. I loved the film (it was actually my favourite so far). And, I have loved Patrick Doyle's work since before Harry Potter had even been written.
Goblet of Fire has some extremely emotional parts in it. The book is truly superb. It is funny, scary, gut-wrenching, shocking, full of plot twists and is much darker than the first 3 books/films. Patrick Doyle was the perfect man to transfer that to music.
It will be an injustice if this score is not nominated for an Oscar. Actually, it will be an injustice if this score doesn't win an Oscar!
Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 18 Jan 2006
Now I'll admit that I miss John Williams doing the soundtracks... I found his music a lot more playful and somehow just more fitting... having said that I do really like this CD!
The stuff by the Wyrd Sisters (Jarvis Cocker et al) is just silly, it seemed slightly out of place in the film, but sits well as a few stand alone tracks on the CD... and Hippogriff is exceptionally catchy!
I like the music introducing the quidditch teams as well, and Rita Skeeter is an interesting track!
If you've seen the film then the music is very evocative, reminding you of what you've seen... if you haven't seen the film I wouldn't recommend the CD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 13 Dec 2005
Much better than the movie. This soundtrack will be listend longer than the previous soundtracks, because the themes are not so operatic than Williams themes. The downside of this soundtrack is yet, the music is very dark, but there is some romance though.
Highly recommended if you are in the mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb music, 20 May 2014
Great music. A wonderful listen. Cannot hear it too often. Would thoroughly recommend it. I play it on the organ, now I can listen to an orchestral version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent music, 7 April 2014
The Harry Potter films have produced some of the finest, most beautiful and evocative music of our era and this completes my daughter's set and she feels it is the finest of them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 11 Jan 2014
harry potter fan all music for them is fab this no exception not quite the original first three films but still good own right

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (Standard Release)
Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (Standard Release) by Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire Soundtrack
Buy MP3 Album£7.49