5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled and relaxed after playing this album.
This is a smashing album. She has a beautiful voice with which she manages to pull together some great performances of this collection of well known tracks.
Published on 10 Aug 2004 by Paul Ashton

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK
I purchased this album after seeing and hearing one song on YouTube.
[...]

I'm still liking the cover she does of this classic Tim Harding standard song, but the rest of the album is magnolia to me and most of the other covers don't migrate well to her style and rendering.

I wish I could be more positive and say that I discovered a gem or it was...
Published 6 months ago by DIY

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled and relaxed after playing this album., 10 Aug 2004
This review is from: Relations (Audio CD)
I often play it last thing at night, but as it's so relaxing and moody I rarely get to hear the last tracks, as I go into zzzzzz time. So I know the first half of the album very well. Must rig my CD player to play in reverse order.
I don't normally go for the soft reflective songstress type, but this time I've picked a winner.
Thanks to Mr J. Ross for promoting the album on the radio so much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kathryn makes these songs so special ..., 19 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Relations (Audio CD)
"I suppose I decided to do a covers album to fall in love with music again" says Kathryn in the sleeve notes. And Kathryn makes falling in love with music such a wonderful experience. This is Kathryn's forth album following 'Dog Leap Stairs', 'Little Black Numbers' and 'Old Low Light'. 'Relations' doesn't feel like a covers album, as Kathryn is able to translate these songs into her own and this is so effortlessly done it's incredible. I really love 'The ballad of easy rider' - a song originally by the Byrds but the version Kathryn covers is by Roger McGuinn. The backing vocals from Laura Reid work really well on this track. I've found myself listening to this song over and over, I love it! Other stand out tracks for me are 'How can we hang on to a dream', a song originally by Tim Hardin and the beautiful, beautiful 'Hallelujah'. This Leonard Cohen song is perfect for Kathryn's voice as it was perfect for Jeff Buckley's. Towards the end of this track Kathryn's voice reaches heights untouched on previous albums as Kathryn so honestly indicates "I'm not trained to sing at all and sometimes when my voice comes out of me I'm surprised as anyone". This is what I appreciate about this album - Kathryn has put together a collection of songs she has loved to play and been pleasantly surprised at the outcome. And I think you will be too. Buy it now, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beguiling and Honest Simplicity, 20 Jun 2004
This review is from: Relations (Audio CD)
Ms Williams claims she recorded this selection of cover versions to enable her to 'fall back in love with music' and certainly the eclectic nature of the songs demonstrates the music collection of a real fan. Songs range from mid 60's folk classics right up to Nirvana and Steven Malkmus. All are rendered in William's trademark clarity and simplicity of style. Her singing is never less than sweet, while her basic voice and guitar arrangements are tastefully augmented by subtle instrumentation.
The only questionable choice is a live rendition of Leonard Cohen's iconic 'Hallelujah', already over-covered and William's rather plodding version does not stand comparison to the stratospheric standards set by John Cale and Jeff Buckley's versions.
However, mostly this is a triumph, particularly when she lets her still young sounding voice and unhidden Northern vowels wring the emotion out of songs such as 'In A Broken Dream' and The Bee Gee's 'I Started A Joke'. Perhaps best of all is her inspired reading of Kurt Cobain's 'All Apologies', a dark and swirling cello-whipped version that leaves the listener feeling distinctly unsettled.
Here's hoping this exercise has re-invigorated Williams and that her next set of originals will incorporate some of these new found textures and styles.

5.0 out of 5 stars what can i say, 19 Oct 2004
wonderful wonderful wonderful.
this album is 100% beautiful. kathryn williams is one of the best artists around at the moment, she has the unique quality of being able to make you laugh and cry and doesn't disappoint with this album.
it is impossible for me to pick out my favourite track as they are all so brilliantly and thoughtfully arranged amd performed.
anyone reading this BUY IT NOW!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Relations (Audio CD)
I purchased this album after seeing and hearing one song on YouTube.
[...]

I wish I could be more positive and say that I discovered a gem or it was great value for money, but most of this cd is not even quality elevator music and is almost forgettable, I'm pleased to say.

1.0 out of 5 stars A crime against music, 28 Feb 2010
This review is from: Relations (Audio CD)
This album is a crime against music. Having been forced to listen to it by my wife, who I love dearly but basically likes music for people who don't like music, I found myself wondering how on earth anyone could consider it worth committing to memory let alone precious recording tape (or whatever stuff gets recorded onto these days).

It is soft-soap karaoke for mums, biology teachers and middle-ranking NHS officials. Modern muzak, I can only imagine it being bearable to the clinking of teacups, idle chatter and other shopping noise, which would at least drown out the silly little voice. The girl takes on songs by Cohen, Reed and various other croaky old men, and manages to whisper the life out of them.

Ms. Williams, you simply don't have the life-experience to deliver 'Hallelujah' or 'Candy Says' with any conviction or credibility, so please leave these precious cultural artefacts alone. My God, what a horror show!

Relations