4.0 out of 5 stars JJ Toughened Glass Worktop Saver
Published on 30 Mar. 2011 by D. A. JONES

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so good
There is a plastic layer on the back that detaches itself after a while and also when cutting on it the board is not flush level so you have to press harder to make a cut
Published 16 months ago by Dimitro Nicolic

4.0 out of 5 stars JJ Toughened Glass Worktop Saver, 30 Mar. 2011
D. A. JONES "The Sec-RAT-ary" (Llantrisant Old Town) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joseph Joseph Worktop Saver, Clear, Large - 40 x 50cm (Kitchen & Home)
Having had new worktops put in our kitchen these 'savers' are the ideal size to not only work on, but to save any stray oil etc from cooking from landing on them as we have placed the 'savers' either side of our cooker. I did however add several more small 'clear' self-adhesive rubber feet as the glass (although toughened) does bend when weight is applied ... but that's just me being over-cautious ! The 'savers' have a delicate herringbone-type pattern on the top surface and the 'see-through' nature means you hardly notice they're there as the worktop shows through them. I was put off slightly in buying them at first because of the image online ... the word 'Pastry' and other text you can see in the image is actually a peel-off sticker, and not a recipe for pastry printed on the surface !

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent for kneading bread dough if you turn it upsidedown, 20 Nov. 2010
I wanted something to knead dough on - I am hooked on baking bread after my wife attended a Novelli Academy one-day cooking course then showed me how to do it.

If you fancy making bread by hand buy yourself one of these and a copy of "Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3", or a Novelli course if you want to treat yourself and see how its done. I would never buy a bread maker now. There is something so satisfying and therapeutic about baking bread, and you know there are no other additives in it. This glass top makes the kneading very non-messy.

The name of the work saver implies its clear glass, which it is, but the top surface is frosted and absolutely hopeless for kneading dough. You really need a smooth flat surface and although a clean worktop is ok its a real pain cleaning up after. And once the dough starts to stick you are in a mess. Amazon's excellent returns people offered to take it back, but then I realised the underside is smooth and exactly what I was looking for. So hey-presto, turn it upside down and place it on a damp tea towel on the work surface. The frosting actually then helps to keeping it non-slip. When you are done just give it a scrape with a ceramic hob scraper and a wipe down with a soapy cloth.

I actually scraped the small rubber feet off as they don't serve any purpose upside down.

Because its non-coloured it doesn't look obtrusive in our small kitchen. I leave it in place on the work top and you don't notice its even there.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 perfect ones and a reject, 28 May 2013
These savers are beautifully thin, light and easy to move. I ordered 3. Two were at the bottom of a huge box with no packing whatsoever between them and the box. (There was heaps of packing on the other side though)! Even so,the savers came through unscathed and were perfect. My wife loves them, and they do look good. As others say, they are not clear, they are partly opaque due to very fine patterning on the top. That makes them look better though.

The third saver was in a box - inside the main box, excellently packaged. However, it ought to have been a reject (probably was). it had several small patches of fine scratches on the underside. Viewed from the top; these appeared as white patches. Also on the underside, near a corner, there was a 'pip', or very small lump of glass sticking out. Viewed from above, this looks like a white 'spot' or very small white circle that needs wiping off.

We had several problems at the time and complaining about being 'sent a second' wasn't a priority, so we never complained.

If you are lucky and get non-rejects, these are extremely excellent, well designed, worktop - enhancing savers. Well done Joseph Joseph. But in future destroy any 'seconds' to protect the consumer and your reputation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glassworktop Saver, 7 Jun. 2010
I never had a worktop saver big enough for rolling home made pastry. This is ideal

5.0 out of 5 stars Back of it is good for bread making, 30 Oct. 2012
Fiona "Fes" (Ealing, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this solely to use as an aid to bread making, to put on the table as I don't have a suitable kitchen top workspace. I was looking for a 'big' flat board but having a hard time finding a large one that didn't cost a fortune and was also big enough to knead dough.

After reading another review here from someone who said they used the smooth back of this worktop saver for bread making, I thought for the price I would risk it.

The front side is indeed, slightly textured and not suitable to mix ingredients or kneed the dough. The little plastic rubber feet on the back smooth side were easy enough to pick off with a finger nail. It indeed makes a very suitable surface for bread making. It does slip a bit when you are working on it (I followed the other reviewers advice of putting a tea towel under it), but if I get a rubbery like place mat it might stay in place even more. It was a minor point.

Great product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I do put hot pans down on them although I don't think it is recommended but they seem to take the heat, 17 Oct. 2014
Very handy and versatile.
I use them to protect my new oak wooden kitchen work tops and they perfectly serve their purpose.
I do put hot pans down on them although I don't think it is recommended but they seem to take the heat.
Wash nicely and look good.
The glass is frosted and has little rubber feet on the bottom to protect the worktop.
So handy I bought more of different sizes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worktop Saver = Worktop Extender!!, 15 Sept. 2011
These worktop savers are fantastic! I've always had a couple, and used to try to protect the worktop by only using the part of the worktop with the saver on it! Doh!! I bought five, and practically covered all the surfaces with them, and I can't believe just how much "working space" I've got now! It's like having my kitchen extended! You can take casseroles from the oven, pots directly from the cooker and the glass is super heat resistent. They are a great surface for making sandwiches, preparing vegetables, rolling pastry, etc, etc. In fact, they're "good for everything", as opposed to some things you buy that seem a good idea but are "good for nothing"! I should also mention that they were almost half the price of the ones I bought, elsewhere, years ago in the days when I didn't have a computer. How did we survive? Joseph Joseph Toughened Glass Worktop Saver (Pastry Clear)

5.0 out of 5 stars So versatile and saves my new kitchen worktop!, 20 Sept. 2012
I love my worktop savers, I have two which I keep out on the worktop all the time. I put one each side of my Ceramic Hob. They are brilliant for making and cutting sandwiches, food preparation, chopping and cutting on the flat, which makes life easier(no need to get to keep getting a board or plate out). I also make mugs of tea on them because they are easy to wipe spills up without wearing the worktop out and to put messy utensils on whilst cooking.
I put a silicone mat on top of my worktop savers for extra heat resistance, so I can take dishes and roasters out of the hot oven or a pan straight off the hob and put them straight on the mat on the worktop servers. (I have not tried to put pan and oven dishes straight onto the worktop saver itself, although they can stand very hot temperatures up to 190 degrees, I believe, but I am too 'chicken' to try it!)
They are clear glass so you can still see the colour of your worktop underneath. I spray mine with Anti-bac for hygiene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to say that they have not altered the design ..., 3 Oct. 2014
This is the 3rd one of these that I have purchased - I bought my others in 2009 from Amazon, and they're still going strong! Glad to say that they have not altered the design of them at all. They have 4 small rubber feet so they are steady as a rock when in use. Can't fault them, and can say from experience that they are well-made and long lasting! I have taken a couple of pics of them, to show that they're a frosted effect, as I noticed some reviewers mentioned thinking they might be clear, but I don't seem to be able to upload them - if I find a way to do so I will! Anyhow - I thoroughly recommend these worktop savers.

5.0 out of 5 stars worktop protector, 30 July 2011
An excellant protector, very fast service. The only problem was that one of the plastic adhesive "buttons" had come off when unpacking. I stuck it back on and all is fine.

Joseph Joseph Worktop Saver, Clear, Large - 40 x 50cm