1,205 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Beat In-Ear Headphones
Got these a replacement to the CX300 mk1s which I have been using every day as I walk to an from work.

Published on 13 Dec. 2010 by Ricol

Published on 13 July 2010 by Mark Spark

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Beat In-Ear Headphones, 13 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black (Electronics)

First thing to note is the build quality. A bigger, gold plated jack looks and feels alot sturdier. Its bigger size has however not been a hinderance. The junction reinforcement, where each cable splits off has also been beefed up making these feel much more resilient. Not much has visually changed with the driver unit, it has now got a sloped back but overall looks to be the same size etc.

The biggest difference comes in the sound department (where it matters!). The bass response is much better and is pretty astounding for in-ear headphones at this price. I quite like walking along to the odd dance track and tunes like Mylo - Destroy Rock 'n' Roll (Tom Neville Clean remix) sound excellent. The bass has plenty of weight and presence and the high end is tight & crisp.

I'm not going to comment on how well these head phones fit as that is a completely personal interaction, they either will or they wont. There are three different sized rubber ear pieces included, so hopefully one pair will work. There is also a soft sprung clasp pouch included, for stowing the headphones when no in use. This is a welcome extra but I've reverted back to my usual hard shelled tin as it offers a bit more protection whilst bouncing round my bag.

To summarise, if you already own CX300s, the mark twos are a worthwhile upgrade. If you are in the market for in-ear headphones, these should not be overlooked. Top Quality Sound and Build for next to nothing.

**** ONE YEAR EDIT ****

Well after a year of daily use (hour walk to and from work) a connection in the left ear has gone. Resulting in only faintly audible levels coming from the left hand side. There's a two year warranty so it should be covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to my former earphone glory, 26 May 2014
Alas, I am no longer at the mercy of rubbish, overpriced Apple earphones.

I was once happy to call myself a proud owner of Sennheiser earphones. I used them everyday, starting from the moment I'd leave the house, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of sound delivered. On one fateful day, over 2 years after they were purchased, they were snagged by a hook on the train, which rendered them useless and left me feeling utterly desolated.

Having bought an iPhone 5, the newest, coolest phone on the block at the time, I was sure their redesigned earphones would do the trick. Ah, if only that were the case. They work alright when I'm at home in utter silence, but if I dare attempt to use them in a noisy environment, I hear nothing but faint voices and murmurs in the background. Maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to get some Sennheisers.

I am pleased to have succumbed to this temptation. I bought these only 2 days ago but I have not enjoyed my music this much in a long time. The sound is crisp, the bass is thick and distinguished, the voices sound natural and clear. You know that loud, annoying group of friends chatting hysterically when you just want to listen to your damn music? You can forget about them. And the wailing baby. And the vigorous roar of the bus engine. The Sennheisers will clog your ear up, and you won't hear squat from the world around you unless it damn pleases you.

All in all, 5 stars. Does exactly what I want it to and no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite impressive..., 9 Jan. 2010
In the lead up to the purchase of these headphone, my sony x series walkman (NWZ 1060) died on me after 4 months of use. So i ordered a 32gb ipod touch BUT the headphones given are the worst ever made. The sound was awful SO

I thought i should buy some better ones.

These are the only headphones you will ever need!!!! Well at least in terms of sound and the quality of it. These headphones easily fit my extremely tricky ears (tricky in the sense that those headphones that come with the ipod touch just fall out of my head everytime and any way i put them in!). Okay they didn't fit out of the box, i had to change the buds with the small ones supplied but that expecting a bit too much. The sound is just awesome!!! i couldn't hear the alarm when i set it off in my house!!!!! NOW THATS WHAT I CALL NOISE CANCELLING!! the wire is perfect in terms of length for me.

BUT as written in previous reviews, people did say that durability was a factor in these headphones eg sound would cut out in left headphone if your tugged just a little bit on the wire. That was the same case for me...accidently yanked it and the sound cut out/stuttered. A lot of people said that these headphones die after a few months of usage, i have only these for a few days so i will update
this review.

UPDATE: :( these headphones just died on Monday. The right earphone started to cut out randomly and now wont play any sound unless i fiddle around with the wire. Gonna see if i can get another pair or at least something more durable.

4.0 out of 5 stars After 2-3 years+ of owning these.., 26 Jan. 2013
MK "~M" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Sound: great deep thumping bass, makes the side of my head vibrate most times! Clear and well reproduced in the other ranges, owning these for a long time i can say it works well across all devices (ive used playbook, ipod touch, ipad 3, laptops and computers, nintendo ds, nexus 4, the lot.)

Build quality: ive worn these in the gym, going for a jog, hundreds of bus tube snd train journeys, as well as sitting in the library working. These phones have lasted for over 3 years of HEAVY abuse.. I always scrunch these up in my pocket and am constantly snagging these on things.. Im more than impressed with the durability of these. They broke only yesterday and im satisfied i got my moneys worth!

Aesthetics: these in white will obviously discolor as i found out. Not only the buds but also the cable and the jack itself. The jack actually is turning yellow!!

Comfort: now here's where im unsure. Typically i could only wear these for about 30mins to an hour before they started irritating my ears and i had to take them off.. The discomfort is more noticeable when youre sitting still and concentrating on something, like uni work in a library or something... But in the gym you dont notice it as the rest of your body is in pain any way lol.

Would i buy these again: probably not, solely because i dont find in ear's particularly comfortable, and want to wear headphones that i can keep on for hours while i work for hours.

Would i recommend these: yes i certainly would. ESPECIALLY to people who go through loads of headphones in a year, these senns are bomb proof!

4.0 out of 5 stars They're black, fit in your ear and noise comes out of them., 16 Sept. 2009
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.

2.0 out of 5 stars Product showed promise, but was dissapointing following usage., 13 July 2010
I had high hopes when I purchased the Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones, following some generally good reviews. It was well presented in its packaging and as expected came with different sized heads for the earphones. Sadly, in my own experience the product did not meet my expectations. I didn't find the earphones particularly comfortable and the sound quality did not seem any better than the standard earphones I had hoped they would replace. I didn't notice any significant increase in sound quality- though in fairness, I am using a Sansa Fuze with customised firmware from 'Rockbox'- and as for the 'noise isolation,' this certainly wasn't what I expected. It simply didn't block out external noises and the icing on the cake was the sound being distorted each time I made contact with the jack end of the headphones.

Some reviews mentioned this, but that this was a problem within minutes of using the product, I decided it wasn't for me.

In short, I suppose they are OK if you don't mind being stationary whilst using them, but if you do a lot of walking like me, you want earphones that play your music well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but faulty within weeks, 8 Nov. 2013
I bought a pair of these for my son, and then another pair for myself after doing an A-B comparison with the earbuds which came with my iPod. Impressive sound quality, comfortable fit.
After a few months my son's pair broke - one of the internal wires broke so the sound in the earbud became intermittent, then non-existent. So I lent him my pair. A few weeks later, the same thing happened with them.
My other son has a pair of Sennheiser PX100 folding headphones. Again, great sound, but internal wiring seems brittle - this time it broke at the plug end; I've replaced the plug about 3 times now, but he told me today it's broken again. Obviously, the recent problems could be due to my dodgy soldering, but the initial problem is down to Sennheiser.
I also have a pair of HD650s. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Listen To The Haters, 1 Mar. 2014
first a bit of background: i do sound enjineering, i work on a sound desk alot. and sound quality really really matters to me. obviouly i use expensive studio grade cans when working on the sound desk. i brought these as a mobile pair of earphones to listen to general music. and these querky little buds have stepped up to the plate with all the £70 earphones out there! ...

i absolutly love this product. i have this thing for sennheiser products because they give you GREAT sound, great looks, outstanding comfort at a resonable price. the levels are good although it can sound abit "tinny" if you have the fitting wrong so just wiggle it abit to get a snug fit. it is really comfortable to wear and i fiddled about with the sizes of earbuds and found the meduim perfect for my ears. Obviously this might not apply to other people.

the strength of the product is amazing it has been crushed in my bag so many times and it hasent been damaged at all. it is very solidly built and i dont see it breaking anytime soon. i have had these for about 2 months now and they are still just as good as they where out of the box.

Cons: if it is a cold day, the earpeices may fall out quite abit due to it not being able to get a grip in your ear, this is a stupid thing to say in a reveiw as they cant do anything about it, but it's just a warning to others.

the postage was good and arrived in really good time. WELLDONE sennheiser and i'll be looking forward to buying more of your products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it fake or not ? and lead noise !!, 23 July 2013
The headphones are very good, but as of 2012 all Sennheiser goods should have an hologram id sticker, mine did not ? have any sticker at all. The following copy is from Sennheiser own web site "Effective immediately Sennheiser will deploy the latest identification technologies to protect customers against fake product and illegal counterfeiting. Starting in August 2012, the premium manufacturer's packaging and products will carry a new authenticity label, the tesa® PrioSpot. First products with this protection will hit the stores at the end of the year. "These security labels offer an uncompared level of protection against counterfeit for our customers, by using visible and hidden security features", It's now late July 2013, where is the ID.

Having used the phones now for some time , wow, one big problem. Any lead movement against clothing or anything,when moving causes noise to travel to the ear piece, via the wire. Something I'v never had with over ear phones or normal ear, like Ipod phones. It interferes over the music sound quiet loud. I was very surprised and did not see this issue coming. The sound is good just don't move about I found. Disappointed.

Lastly, do look out for fakes from elsewhere. My experience was, the bass crashed on deep notes, leads from the split where the same length (should be different), at the divider molding, the rubber as the leads go to the ear pieces was thinner than the genuine, lastly on genuine ear pieces there should be a gap between the polished aluminum and the back section. this allows air to move like real speakers ( bass reflex ) the fakes don't have this ( you can shine a light through the gap on real, not on fakes. But most of all the sound is CRAP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound better once broken in., 19 Feb. 2013
(27/09/2013) Update: I bought these in February 2013 and the earphones are still going strong. Just to give you an idea of what kind of stresses I put these things under :I wind them around my mp3 player and wind them back again at least 3 times a day during the week (I travel by bus and make several journeys a day) and once or twice a day at the weekend. I'm not very careful with these earphones and after use just put them, along with my mp3 player, in a pocket in my rucksack filled with all sorts of rubbish. It seems to me that these earphones are a lot more rugged and durable than some people have experienced. My original review is below:

Hello there. On first sight I was impressed by the cabling, the places where the cables tend to go weak, such as near the earpieces or near the jack, look a lot stronger than the previous earphones I've used (mainly Philips, the last being the SHE8500/10, which I bought for £25 at HMV R.I.P.) and those earphones lasted anywhere between a year and a 2 years with my every-day usage. I've only had these earphones for about 2 months now (Feb 2013) so can't comment on whether the more rugged appearance is a true indication of their ruggedness.

When I first started using these 'phones the sound was awful. The bass was overpowering and muddied the mid-range and the high-end sounded scratchy, however after a bit of fiddle with my equaliser settings and a few more days of action they started to sound great. I guess that some earphones, just as some of the other reviews suggest, do need a 'breaking-in period'.