5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Beat In-Ear Headphones
Got these a replacement to the CX300 mk1s which I have been using every day as I walk to an from work.

Published on 13 Dec 2010 by Ricol

1.0 out of 5 stars High Treble frequencies are unpleasantly pronounced
UPDATE: 2 and a half weeks after purchasing the right ear phone has stopped working. Sennheiser have clearly let the quality drop on their lower end products. TBH i think i would have been better off paying £20 on a pair of SkullCandy or Soundmagics.

For all the stress, poor quality construct and below par sound - DO NOT BUY THESE EARPHONES...
Published 5 months ago by Mr. A. Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Beat In-Ear Headphones, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Black (Electronics)

First thing to note is the build quality. A bigger, gold plated jack looks and feels alot sturdier. Its bigger size has however not been a hinderance. The junction reinforcement, where each cable splits off has also been beefed up making these feel much more resilient. Not much has visually changed with the driver unit, it has now got a sloped back but overall looks to be the same size etc.

The biggest difference comes in the sound department (where it matters!). The bass response is much better and is pretty astounding for in-ear headphones at this price. I quite like walking along to the odd dance track and tunes like Mylo - Destroy Rock 'n' Roll (Tom Neville Clean remix) sound excellent. The bass has plenty of weight and presence and the high end is tight & crisp.

I'm not going to comment on how well these head phones fit as that is a completely personal interaction, they either will or they wont. There are three different sized rubber ear pieces included, so hopefully one pair will work. There is also a soft sprung clasp pouch included, for stowing the headphones when no in use. This is a welcome extra but I've reverted back to my usual hard shelled tin as it offers a bit more protection whilst bouncing round my bag.

To summarise, if you already own CX300s, the mark twos are a worthwhile upgrade. If you are in the market for in-ear headphones, these should not be overlooked. Top Quality Sound and Build for next to nothing.

**** ONE YEAR EDIT ****

Well after a year of daily use (hour walk to and from work) a connection in the left ear has gone. Resulting in only faintly audible levels coming from the left hand side. There's a two year warranty so it should be covered.

1.0 out of 5 stars High Treble frequencies are unpleasantly pronounced, 9 April 2014
Mr. A. Griffin "D0pethrone" (Brighton) - See all my reviews

---------------------------------------------
This is the fourth or fifth pair of Sennheiser earphones i have bought in the past 3 years (i keep losing them) and this most recent pair have really unpleasant hight treble frequencies boosted, some bands/albums are almost un-listen-able with the new range of CX 300 IIs,

Clarity of sound is great, no discernible 'bass boost' though as they claim and as i mentioned horrid boosting of everything above 6,000hz range.

Very disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to my former earphone glory, 26 May 2014
Alas, I am no longer at the mercy of rubbish, overpriced Apple earphones.

I was once happy to call myself a proud owner of Sennheiser earphones. I used them everyday, starting from the moment I'd leave the house, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of sound delivered. On one fateful day, over 2 years after they were purchased, they were snagged by a hook on the train, which rendered them useless and left me feeling utterly desolated.

Having bought an iPhone 5, the newest, coolest phone on the block at the time, I was sure their redesigned earphones would do the trick. Ah, if only that were the case. They work alright when I'm at home in utter silence, but if I dare attempt to use them in a noisy environment, I hear nothing but faint voices and murmurs in the background. Maybe it's my brain telling me it's time to get some Sennheisers.

I am pleased to have succumbed to this temptation. I bought these only 2 days ago but I have not enjoyed my music this much in a long time. The sound is crisp, the bass is thick and distinguished, the voices sound natural and clear. You know that loud, annoying group of friends chatting hysterically when you just want to listen to your damn music? You can forget about them. And the wailing baby. And the vigorous roar of the bus engine. The Sennheisers will clog your ear up, and you won't hear squat from the world around you unless it damn pleases you.

All in all, 5 stars. Does exactly what I want it to and no more.

4.0 out of 5 stars They're black, fit in your ear and noise comes out of them., 16 Sep 2009
Do you want to listen to music without other people hearing it? Do you like black things with little shiny silver bits on them? Then these might just be for you!

Features include:
- decent sound quality, as far as I can tell. But I'm just some pleb listening to 256kbps MP3s, not George Martin with a DAT machine.
- pretty good bottom end, if you like that sort of thing. If you don't like that sort of thing, change the EQ setting and I'm sure you'll be fine; otherwise it's a bit like sticking your pinky finger too far into your earhole.
- reasonably durable. I've had them a couple of weeks and they haven't broken yet.
- fairly comfortable, insofar as sticking foreign objects into your ear ever can be.
- sensibly priced. But if you want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones, that's your call. Look elsewhere.
- okay accessories. Comes with extra rubber ear-plug bits that double as fake beauty spots and a spring-clasped carrying case. The latter can be clipped onto your nose if you want to pretend to be a koala.

There is some cable noise, which I know aggravates some people. You can ameliorate this by sticking the cable inside your shirt, which tickles pleasantly, or you can embrace it and adjust your stride to sync with the music, adding an extra layer of percussion. If it's a big deal, spring for wireless headphones and accept that you're going to look like Lando Calrissian's factotum in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

In short, I like them as much as, if not more than, other earphones I've tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 3 years my previous pair broke... so bought another pair without hesitation, 1 July 2013
Paul Shaw "perplexed" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
My previous pair lasted 3 years after constant use, which I think is quite exceptional considering I use them every single day on a long commute. When they eventually broke (sound only through one ear - the typical failure of all headphones) I didn't think twice about getting another pair exactly the same. They cut out external noise really well, which is important on a noisy bus (with occasionally noisy passengers!) and the sound quality is great. I remember being amazed at the difference between standard headphones and these when I first got them. Worth the money and would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to your ipod, 27 April 2009
Niall A (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
Bought these when I got my ipod nano after reading a review on the What Hi-fi website. Great quality for the size and price and a huge improvement over the standard ipod earphones. The only complaint, as with a previous review, is that due to the design of the headphones, any rubbing or vibration of the wires does result in a lot of noise. Ok for me, but maybe a problem if you intend to wear these while exercising.

1.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 5 Feb 2011
I should have paid more attention to the product reviews already available. When working, the sound quality was better than acceptable, but only for 2 weeks. Then one earpiece partially failed, though still producing very low level sound. If a product isn't capable of withstanding the stresses of 'normal' service, then it's not an attractive buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 Aug 2009
R. Griffin (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Bought these CX300 II headphones after having a good scout about to see what was out there. I've had problems with headphones staying in my ears in the past, even when just sitting on the train, and so had resorted to the round the ear hook headphones up till my recent set broke. I decided to try a set of in ear headphones after reading multiple good reviews about the quality of sound, and the CX300 came up on top every where I looked.
The sound quality is like nothing I've ever experienced before from headphones, far superior to the standard issue Zen or ipod versions that I'm used to. The bass is strong but doesn't drown out the full,crisp sound, and the music feels like its right in your head rather than being directed towards your ears
I would recommend these to anyone looking for a quality upgrade from standard issue rubbish ones, the difference is phenomenal!

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe I wrote a 5 star review for this a few weeks ago, 9 Dec 2010
D. Diep - See all my reviews
Yes, I wrote a review for this product, the CX300-iis, not too long ago, praising its great sound quality at a value price. I have had these earphones since July 2010 and everything seemed fine - I had looked after them perfectly, treated them well, no physical breakage whatsoever. I had stated in my earlier review how some of these reviewers may have bought fakes, or treated them badly, because mine seemed to have a long lifespan ahead of them. It's a shame that they decided to break now - I had used them in the morning one day, perfectly fine. Went back to try and use them in the evening and for all of a sudden no sound came out of the left earpiece - how annoying and odd at the same time. I have no clue how and why this happened. It just goes to show that looking after these earphones has ABSOLUTELY NO POSITIVE OR LONG TERM EFFECT TOWARDS ENHANCING THEIR LIFESPAN.

I'm not prepared to buy another pair of these earphones. I still trust Sennheiser and their products, but for them to release a product with such commonplace issues that many reviewers have stated and voiced AGAIN and AGAIN without doing anything about it, is ridiculous and unacceptable. For cheap headphones, I would strongly urge you to look to another brand. For any audio equipment above £25, I would recommend Sennheiser products due to the staggering increase in the build quality of their products.

So for anyone buying these, just be prepared to have low expectations regarding how long you expect them to last for, in order to avoid disappointment like myself and many, many others. If they last over 6 months, you should be happy! For all other consumers who feel that their money should be invested in something that will last/be worthwhile, avoid this like the plague.

By the way, most of these 5 star reviews - I bet you - are from those who have just bought and tried the earphones. Wait to see their faces and review scores when they break before 6 months of usage...

AGREE WITH THIS REVIEW SO THAT POTENTIAL BUYERS KNOW THE TRUTH, PEOPLE! WE CONSUMERS HAVE THE POWER!

EDIT 12th July 2011: It's great to see the overwhelming response I've had. I recently just tried the earphones again to see if the problem still persists, but it's actually become worse; both earpieces don't play any sound at all. It's pretty much useless now. I highly recommend that you buy off trusted sellers, even if it's more expensive (e.g. Amazon). That way, if anything happens, you can at least obtain warranty easier if something goes wrong.

At least it still blocks out a good amount of external noise when inserted - its only function for me is to act as earplugs at nighttime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought these after owning 1 pair of CX300's for 2.5years!, 18 Jun 2009
Ok, I'm not a total Audiophile but I do appreciate a good sound and listen to all kinds of music through my 20 year old celestion speakers at home.

I can understand that these type of earphones are not suited to everybody. However they seem to be suited to most people and I love them. There not so expensive that you have to worry every time it rains but they give good enough sound for a really enjoyable listening experience. Having owned the original cx300's for 2.5 years they finally gave up and I decided to try out the newer incarnation.

Can't tell if they are that much better than the orginal cx300's, but they certainly seem to give a good rounded sound with all the high's and lows that I'd expect. To test my old used, abused and busted cx300's side by side wouldn't be fair.

Some people like the asymmetric cable design (1 side is longer than other and goes round back of head), others don't. I actually ordered a pair of CX400II's but cancelled the order as soon as I realised that they were symmetric as I just find this design to save me so much hastle.

One point I should make is that these headphones do sound better after a few hours of use so don't pull them out of the box, decide that they sound naff and come on here and post a review.

Also, these headphones do block a fair amount of noise as long as you get a good fit in your ear (which is paramount on this design). I sometimes use them on my motorbike, which I'm sure some people will abuse me for but personally I love cruising along on a nice summer day weaving to my favourite chillout tunes.