Important Update: 21/07/11 - They've finally conked it! Well, the left one has, but stereo is the only way to fly so i think its fair to say my cans have officially died :-( Please read on as i stand by everything i said in my review, these babies have been used more or less every day for nearly 2 years and i'm just off to order another pair.

Well, it is if you're passionate about music and want to listen to it as nature intended. Some people (like my parents) can listen to Dionne Warwick through dodgy headphones with no defintion or clarity and be completely happy. I want to hear everything, i want to be in the studio with the Artist(s) when the song's being recorded!

These 'Cans' are the closest i've got so far. I bought a pair of Sennheiser's last year (can't remember the type) and wasn't all that impressed with the sound. Plus, after 6 months, the left one went completely dead. As you can imagine, when i stumped up 50 of the queen's finest in HMV (That's how much they cost in the real world folks!) for the CX 400 II's, it was was with a feeling of rising trepidation.

I needn't have worried. The leakage out of these is minimal, so not only will you be popular on public transport but practically everything goes straight to your brain! That means extra bass. Now i'm not a teenager and i don't solely listen to cheesey dance music but i still like a strong bass resonance in my music. With these, I get it. Plus the clarity of all your other frequencies is equally as clear. I guess this is the closest i've got to having my ears sealed by a pair of headphones, that truly helps cut down the background noise. Take nothing away from the quality though, the sound on it's own is truly impressive.

Minor gripes. These go pretty loud (110db i think, most go to 104db) and when you do attempt to 'Go to 11' the clarity does disappear. No distortion, but high hats and cymbals don't come through quite as well. That said, unless you fancy wearing a hearing-aid for thr remainder of your life i doubt you'll want to take them up that high anyway. Also, the lead has a rubber coating (i think it's rubber, rubberish anyway) which may provide protection (haven't had them long enough to testify to that yet) but does mean they get tangled quite easily.

Comes with Volume control on the lead, plus 3 or 4 different size pairs of ear piece fittings for custom ear canal tightness. One of the major advantages of these is the noise isolation so this is an important aspect.

I have scoured the pages of Amazon looking for headphones in the past. It is a minefield out there, but i stake my reputation on these. As far as sound quality goes, they are quite simply the best pair of headphones i've ever had!

Update: 04/12/09 - No problems with headphones deteriorating, they are as good as when first purchased!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 March 2010
Sennheiser CX 400 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones with Integrated Volume Control - Black

I know, I know - when it comes to headphones, there's a wealth of info out there. However, because of the poor build quality of these cans, I feel compelled to throw my tuppence worth into the mix. As a former DJ and keen music fan, I was initially very impressed with these Sennheisers' - they gave a good depth of sound throughout and if you get the fit right with various earpiece fittings, the bass comes through with a bit more oommph. Sadly, and not for the first time with Sennheiser, the right earpiece failed within 6 months of fairly light use. In addition, the rubber sleeve that protects the inner cable has no grommet housed within the volume control and therefore the wires became exposed within weeks. This is a basic design flaw that should have been forseen without too much thought - perhaps a sign that Sennheiser are slipping? As to the failure of the earpiece, this is the 3rd pair of Sennheisers' I have owned and ALL of them have failed in the same way, so I say NO MORE and would not recommend these or any of their headphones until they make a concentrated effort to rectify this recurring fault
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 May 2012
OK, let's get one thing clear from the start. If you're after a pair of in-ear, noise isolating, superb all-round sound reproduction earphones for <£40, you simply can't look past Sennheiser's CX300 II or CX 400 II series (if independent volume control isn't essential to you, plumb for the cheaper former). Believe me, over the last 5 years I've been through my share of different makes and models and always grudgingly return to Sennheiser; in this price bracket, the likes of Sony, SkullCandy, Radiopaq, Panasonic, et al just don't come close.

Why grudgingly? They simply don't last.

Mind you, there are a hell of a lot of fakes on the market (***only ever buy from amazon.co.uk directly***) so be cautious of reviews mentioning faults/sound degradation after only a few weeks. However, any comments referencing left/right phones failing after 6 months will generally be bang on the money.

In the last 2 years I've been through one pair of CX 300 IIs and two pairs of CX 400 IIs. Each has developed the same problem after roughly 6-9 months of 1-2 hrs usage per day max. First, the sound becomes muffled in both phones, switching between stereo/mono. Then everything mysteriously returns to apparent normality for a few days. And then the right earphone fails. Every single time. And as much as I try to convince myself that the sudden imbalance to the left phone has always been present, my heart realises my Sennheisers are once again toast.

So why haven't I given up on them? Why am I back with a third set of CX 400 IIs in 18 months? Several reasons: the audio quality and isolation (used on public transport, car journeys, planes, walking near traffic) really are so superior to anyone else, switching to another brand would be to cut off one's nose to spite one's face. Also, as fellow Blackberry owners with sensitive hearing may empathise with, the minimum volume within the Music Player is far too loud when trying to relax in a quiet area, so earphones with independent volume control are an absolute must; there are *very few* if any alternatives with said function equal to the CX 400 II.

Finally, there's the 2 year warranty. Ah, you see, this is why it is extremely important that you purchase from an authorised seller. Because when your CX 400 II's perish, and they will, you're entitled to a replacement pair/refund. No quibbles.

These earphones are wonderful when they work and as such all the more annoying when they oh-so-predictably fail. From experience, their sound quality, noise isolation and exterior build aren't surpassed at this price point. So, go ahead, order them, you'll more than likely adore them. Just keep that warranty handy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 November 2010
I should have known these being my second pair of Sennheisers............................
The first pair I had failed in the right ear, this pair although still working is falling to bits before my eyes (or ears). Wire to the volume control became exposed after 2-3 weeks, all the stickers identifying make and model have fallen off just waiting now for the failing ear piece and they'll be dispatched to where they belong. (No issue with Third Party Company who supplied them though they were on time and I can't expect to blame them for shoddy workmanship). My recommendation for what its worth is to avoid Sennheiser ear phones at all costs
on 14 January 2010
The Sennheiser CX 400 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones are top quality and come with a lot of additional ear pieces to suit every size and shape of ear. The sound quality is fabulous and they really do keep outside noise to a bare minimum. I used them recently on an U.S Airways Jumbo Jet and found there to be really effective in drowning out background noise. Made my in flight movie experience much better than normal.
on 3 October 2009
If you prefer a summary, please skip the below and see the end of my review.

Since purchasing my SE W995 I have been looking for a decent pair of canal phones to pair it with. In the past I've always just used the standard stuff you get out of the box. They did the job but they all had one factor in common: lack of bass. Using the various supplied rubber ear peices didn't make a difference.

Already owning a pair of Sennheiser headphones and reading all the positive reviews here, I thought I'd give the CX 400 II's a chance.

After connecting them for the first time, my joy turned to despair. The bass I had been expecting still wasn't there. I started testing out the various rubber ear peices and eventually found the type that fitted snugly inside my ear and FINALLY I have the results I have been looking for!

Now tracks from Prodigy/Pendulum REALLY come to life. But it wasn't all about bass as my music collection is vast including many genres like classical, funky house, Swing, etc. Everything sounded clean, and crisp.

I've used the CX 400's almost everyday for a good few weeks now and I am extremely impressed. All my music just sounds rejuvenated, the earpiece feels comfortable even after prolonged periods, and the leakage is absolutely minimal. The volume control is an excellent feature, the pouch and cable clip winder is very useful, and the generous amounts of rubber ear peices mean that the right fit is guaranteed. Also included in this package is a 2 year warranty. I have to admit that although I'm grateful for all the accessories and warranty, I can't help but think that they should of thrown in a TV as part of the deal!!

SUMMARY: Final word? Disappointed about the lack of a free TV, but these canal phones are superb and of an excellent quality. Highly recommended.

*UPDATE on 24/03/10* 6 months of solid use later and these canal phones still are in great shape and performing superbly. I understand some people have had problems with them (break soon after purchase, wires breaking, etc). I'll level the playing field by stating I have not had any of these problems whatsoever, so I expect they are just isolated incidents.
on 15 August 2011
This is my third pair of Sennheiser CX 400 II ear phones, and this is the third time to loose sound in the left earpiece after only a few months of non-heavy use. It seems, reading other reviews, that this is a common problem. Shame, because the sounds is generally excellent with a realtively wide dynamic range.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 February 2010
Great sound quality, however the jack became faulty after only two weeks.
Returned item and recieved a replacement, which also became faulty after only a week.
After doing some research online, this seems to be a common problem with these headphones, so beware.
on 5 January 2010
Only buy these through Amazon direct. I have wasted my time and money buying through the traders and got Soundmagic PL11s and Sennheiser CX500s and both were fakes. I then got CX300s and CX400-iis direct from Amazon and the difference is obvious. Don't be tempted by the lower prices of the traders. It is because they are fake.
The genuine Sennheisers are excellent. Much much better than any standard headphones. They are a little sharp on the high end to start with particularly for rock music but I'm sure they'll settle once burned in. The clarity is impressive though and the base is punchy enough even for a bass head like me. It's crazy not to upgrade to headphones like these: the listening experience is so much better than any standard sets. Oh and I noticed no difference between the 300s and the 400s.
Be warned, buy genuine and don't learn the hard way like I did!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 October 2009
I have many sets of earphones and have some that I prefer over others. When I bought an iPhone as a replacement to my antiquated iPod I struggled to get and decent warmth and bass in the sound from any of my sets, whilst at the same time keeping tight mids and crisp highs.

Then I discovered the CX400 IIs. They are an excellent set for the money and work very well with the iPhone, allowing excellent sound reproduction without having to resort to the dubious preset EQ options available in the iPhone software. Fit is good, as is the variety of different earbuds - finding the right match for you is very important - and overall aesthetics are very pleasing.

The CX300II is a good set of earphones but the 400CXII beats it in terms or warmth and bass response. If you are interested in Classical or Jazz I would not recommend these, but for all other types of music they are perfect, especailly at this price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...