5.0 out of 5 stars Great Turntable
Published on 27 Jun. 2009 by Dean

3.0 out of 5 stars Personal view of this item
Published on 5 Feb. 2009 by P. De Frere

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Turntable, 27 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Wooden Retro Turntable 3 Speed AM/FM CD and Tape Player (Electronics)
I bought this as a present for my mums birthday as she wanted a hifi but with a turntable so she can play her old records but still have something that plays a cd! And i have to say she loves it and so do i, it looks realy nice and plays everything perfectly! The only thing i thought was going to let it down was the sound but the speaker are actualy realy good and the volumes goes quite high on it! If your thinking of buying it i would say go for it as its just perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the money, 13 Feb. 2011
Purchased so that my Mother could have a simple and compact all-in-one music unit mainly for CD's and records

There are some things which instantly point to this being a budget unit and other things which, if you didn't know better, would make you think it was a pretty good system.

The good bits -
By far the best part of this is the quality of sound it manages to produce. The sound would not impress a fanatic, but for average listeners it is great. The volume could be turned right up on a classical music cd and it was crystal clear with a rich and deep sound. I have heard more expensive modern systems not sound half as good. It rivals a JVC iPOD dock I bought recently.

Despite a couple of daft design flaws, it looks and feels really good. It has the look of a much more expensive player.

CD player works well and the buttons, all located on the front panel, are easy to see and use. The CD display is a red L.E.D which just shows the track number, the digits are big and clear.

Turntable works great the mechanism is a little flimsy but again, for the price, it is fine and will last if looked after.

Radio tuner is backlit when radio is selected.

Build quality of the cabinet itself is solid.

Negative points -
Poor quality hinge and locking arm on the lid, but I dont see a big problem if it is looked after.

There is no bass or treble control, thankfully the sound is really good so it can be forgiven for lacking this basic function

The radio tuner is by far the worst part of the whole unit,it looks great but when you try to us it you find it is cheap, nasty and nearly impossible to tune with any level of accuracy due to the poor mechanism. No problem if you set it to a station and forget about it, but dont get this unit if you regularly change stations you will end up throwing it out the window.

The cassette player, located on the side panel, is like the old single-sided in-car players where you slot the cassette in length ways. The only tape controls are "play" (by inserting the cassette), "eject" (by fully depressing the button) and "fast-forward" (By partially depressing the button) there is no pause, stop, rewind or record. Because of it being stuck around the corner on the side panel, you need to position the player somewhere that ensures access to the right hand side if you want to use the tape. The mechanism is clunky but it does the job.

The lift and turn mechanism for the turntable stylus arm is sticks out a little far (It extends about an inch over the edge of a LP record) so when putting on or taking off a LP just remember it may not sit properly without giving it a wiggle.

There is no motorised auto-return for the stylus arm.

In summary -
For the price, this is a good music system if you mainly use it for CDs and records. Avoid if you are looking for something that predominantly plays tapes and radio as the the lack of functions will be frustrating. It is sturdy and heavy so it doesnt skid around the table when you try to use it with one hand like most cheap plastic music players. If I knew someone else who needed a simple CD and Record player I would not hesitate to recommend this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Personal view of this item, 5 Feb. 2009
P. De Frere (Thornbury UK) - See all my reviews
We needed a replacement for our ageing hi-fi system that had radio, cassette and record playing facilities. We also had space limitations so the Crosley all-in one system seemed to be ideal. It was despatched within five days of our order and arrived promptly. The controls are a bit basic but they all work. Cassettes are quite slow to wind/rewind but that is not a major problem. The radio is restricted to AM and FM and therefore suffers from poor reception at times. It is dial tuned and, having a small dial, is difficult to tune accurately so some programmes can interfere with other programmes. However, if you want a good-looking retro-style player at a reasonable price that takes up little space, this could be for you. We are generally pleased with our purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro look but modern sound!, 3 Nov. 2011
I bought this item for my 35 yr old daughter's birthday as she likes old vinyl records but does not have a record player to play them on. She is absolutely delighted with it. It looks great and the sound is really good and best of all it is easy to use. As a bonus it also plays CDs, cassettes and has a fairly good radio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked for all of 30 seconds!, 5 Jan. 2013
It's a beautiful product but the internal workings are really poor quality which is such a shame. The turntable worked fine but the CD player played a cd for 30 seconds and then never worked again. I toyed with the idea of keeping it regardless but it cost £97 pounds so for that money you'd expect something to work!! I have returned it to Amazon for a refund. However I am in two minds of whether to try ordering another one as it really is a beautiful player. So gutted it didn't work!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled to bits!!, 4 Dec. 2008
R. Evetts (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Exactly what we wanted - plays everything we own. Beautiful cabinet looks and FEELS right. Would recommend to anyone with a mixed bag of favourite music - don't bin your singles, L.P.'s or cassettes. No tone adjustment, but the sound quality is surely good enough for most people's needs. Will make a perfect present for anyone over 30 !

3.0 out of 5 stars And then I pressed play.., 5 Jun. 2010
Most of the buyers of this product seem to be people of a certain age who want a system that will play their old records and reminisce, and that is fine. I am in my mid-20's and have a good turntable and plenty of LPs back home; I have missed bying records and have this weird notion that certain albums are meant to be heard on vinyl, and so I bought this based on the reviews.

Excellent service from Amazon as always; it arrived promptly. When I opened the box I was definitely impressed by its looks. It really is a beauty and would definitely fit in nicely in almost every room/living room that I can think of. And then I pressed play..

Now, most reviews suggest that this system produces a good-to-great sound when in those ears it is at best acceptable. The speakers are built-in which means that you cannot improve on the sound by connecting other speakers and, more annoyingly, it cannot be connected with headphones, which I use quite a lot. Having said that, it is quite good for old rock'n'roll, blues, country, soul, Motown records and hearing these tunes from this machine really takes you to another era. If you are more into indie, punk, dance, hip-hop, anything post-76 with more bass then I would suggest you look elsewhere, as this will not do justice to most of those records. A reviewer is suggesting that the turntable looks rather plasticky, and it does, I believe they could do better than that. It functions well though, and I'm fine with it as long as it lasts for more than a year or two!

In the end of the day I decided to keep it for listening to older records and mainly because I fell in love with its looks; it is a nice addition to my other soundsystem. Just bear in mind that these days you can get a great hi-fi soundsystem for the same amount of money, and a pretty good turntable for less than that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty - Rubbish!, 24 Oct. 2012
Got this for my fiancee's birthday today, opened it and it looks good. Fault with the record player though as the speed on the vinyl keeps changing even though its set to the correct speed. Tried it on all speeds and keeps changing. Did notice that the played was feeling very loose. Just beware of that folks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb choice for fathers day present., 7 July 2009
R. H. Perry (Gloucestershire. U.K.) - See all my reviews
My husband has boxes of LPs and 45s and some 78s which were in the loft for years. Now they are down from the loft and being played often.
Lovely all round piece of equipment. Thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's just a Dansette!, 28 Jun. 2010
Be warned! I ordered one of these because of the great reviews it had, but had to send it back because of the terrible sound it had! It is a muffled and small sound- just like an old Dansette, which I guess it, essentially, is. I'm not overly fussy and I wasn't looking for anything wall-shaking, but if you have been used to the sound of a stereo, then I think you may be disappointed. Also, the comments made about the flimsiness of the turntable are not exaggerated- it is cracker-toy standard.
I will say, however, that DealStation, the suppliers I got it from, were great about giving me a full refund (with postage), so try it out if you want. But, unless your collection consists of 30s, mono, badly recorded band records, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
The problem is now- where do I get a record player???!