5.0 out of 5 stars Third album is a classic

No, really disappointing
Listened to it once.
Published 1 day ago by N. Wragg

5.0 out of 5 stars Third album is a classic, 16 May 2005
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Takin' My Time (Audio CD)
A decade and a half before Bonnie captured the public imagination with her 1989 album, Nick of time, she was already building a solid reputation with her blend of blues, rock and folk music, of which this album is a fine example although the blues are the dominant influence here. It may not have been what mainstream commercial radio stations were looking for at the time but, like Bonnie's other early albums, continues to sell steadily while many bigger-selling artists of the time are now represented only by greatest hits compilations.
One reason why Bonnie's music stands the test of time so well is her uncanny ability to pick great songs that suited her outstanding, bluesy voice. Bonnie was also able to persuade some of the finest musicians of the day to play on her albums. On this album, the musicians include members of Little Feat (Lowell George among them), Taj Mahal and the brilliant saxophonist, Ernie Watts.
The set opens with You've been in love too long, a cover of a brilliant but relatively unknown Motown song that Barbara Acklin and Martha Reeves recorded. Bonnie doesn't usually cover Motown but her choice here is impeccable. More predictably, Bonnie covers songs written by some of the finest blues and rock songwriters such as Mose Allison (Everybody's crying mercy), Eric Kaz (Cry like a rainstorm), Jackson Browne (I thought I was a child), Fred McDowell (Write me a few of your lines / Kokomo blues) and Randy Newman (Guilty).
Maybe this isn't the place to begin a collection of Bonnie's music but it should be a high priority if you are interested in collecting at least some of her original albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time well spent..., 12 Jun. 2008
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Takin' My Time (Audio CD)
From the wonderful cover, to the great selection of songs, the wonderful musicians (as well as Little Feat there is Taj Mahal, Earl Palmer, Jim Keltner, Van Dyke Parks, Milt Holland etc) and above all Bonnie's fabulous voice; this was a landmark recording that still remains one of her best records. I bought this LP when it first came out in 1973 because of Little Feat's involvement but it quickly became one of my all time favourite records of all time and I've remained a huge Bonnie Raitt fan ever since. Lowell George started producing the sessions with Little Feat as the backing band but after weeks of partying in the studio very little had been recorded and guitarist John Hall was brought in the finish the project. He did a great job!

We set off with a bang with the funky "You've been in love too long" (great drumming), then slow down for the moody, acoustic "I gave my love a candle" before returning to the up-tempo jazzy groove of "Let me in". Bonnie completely nails the mellow, hipster-jive of Mose Allison's "Everybody's crying mercy", which features some nice Lowell George slide guitar. Then we have the beautiful Eric Kaz ballad "Cry like a rainstorm", with lovely restrained vocals from Bonnie and great harp from Taj Mahal. (I remember a review in Rolling Stone at the time criticised Taj's harp playing as insipid but as a harp player myself I think he perfectly captures the mood of the laid-back song.)

Side two begins with the highly infectious calypso "Wah she go do", an early example of Bonnie's continuing love for Caribbean music. Next comes two songs from contemporary singer-songwriters, Chris Smither's "I feel the same" and Jackson Browne's "I thought I was a child", again Bonnie turns in great, sensitive versions of these folky ballads. Harking back to the start of her career, we then get a medley of two Fred McDowell country blues, with Bonnie playing acoustic slide guitar, as featured in her live act for many years. Finally we have the definitive version of Randy Newman's marvellous song "Guilty", with Bonnie ringing every ounce of feeling and meaning out of this beautiful, plaintive song. (She unexpectedly played this song at a recent live show and it really brought a lump to my throat, gulp!)

For me this record remains Bonnie's greatest work, with the perfect mixture of songs by great writers, different styles (blues, folk, jazz, soul etc) and great playing. At the time I loved its variety and Bonnie's complete mastery of all the different genres. Today, 35 years later, it still sounds great, George Bohannon and Kirby Johnson's brass arrangements are wonderful and the choice of Calypso Rose's "Wah she go do" anticipated pop's adoption of `world music' by some years. In many ways Bonnie has progressed a great deal since this record but I admire the way she has stayed true to her musical and political roots. A great record from a great artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody`s cryin` Bonnie, 23 Jan. 2012
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Takin' My Time (Audio CD)
Considering this joyous early album by the impeccable Bonnie Raitt is called Takin My Time, which was the title of a Little Feat song, who appear to great effect on the record, it`s a surprise that the song isn`t included. I can just imagine her singing it too, a gentle ballad with which she would have charmed any number of birds down from innumerable trees. Perhaps it was a take they left off...?
This is a lovely one. Varied, mostly exuberant in mood, beautifully programmed, and showing the perfect taste in songs we`ve come to expect from this wonderful singer.
None of Bonnie`s own this time, but it doesn`t matter because here is the gorgeous Cry Like A Rainstorm by Eric Kaz, Chris Smither`s superb I Feel The Same, and a pensive reading of Randy Newman`s tongue-in-cheek ("...I`ll be guilty for the rest of my life") song of eternal mea culpa, Guilty.
Along the way is one of the most exultant three minutes of music I`ve ever heard. If the slinky, sexy calypso Wah She Go Do doesn`t make you want to get down to the beach and start dancing across the sand, nothing will. Bonnie has always been a raunchy lady, unafraid to sing the more voluptuous repertoire, and this will rock your socks and steam your glasses.
The rest of this very fine album, with its red-hot band - those Feats didn`t fail her, and nor did her other musicians - is as good as the tracks I`ve mentioned.
It`s great to hear members of one of my favourite ever bands playing alongside one of my very favourite singers. A marriage made in a hot `n sultry heaven.
A great album by a great singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takin' My Time - Bonnie Raitt, 27 Mar. 2014
D. J. Wilden "denise7248" (Maidenhead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takin' My Time (Audio CD)
Just put this in the car today after Rattlesnake Guitar came out. Only on track 2 at the time of writing, I had heard of Bonnie Raitt but didn't actually believe I had heard her sing, been watching a lot of music stuff off the arts channel on TV, why did I not know about this woman before???? She is pretty awesome, flaming red hair, must have some Irish in her as the Celts are known for hair like that, am going to enjoy the rest of the album immensely and don't think it will be the last Bonnie Raitt I buy. This is my "introduction" to Bonnie and I'm a happy bunny, Bonnie plays a mean slide guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonnie Raitt, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Takin' My Time (Audio CD)
All of the album is good. Her singing ability shines through. Yes I am a massive fan, but I am objective when it comes to a review

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 1 April 2015
No, really disappointing
Listened to it once.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 28 Feb. 2015
dont like this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Still love this that's why I bought a new one form amazon, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Takin' My Time (Audio CD)
This is a replacement for my original which was on vinyl -I still can't throw away the original though
classic