Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.09

on 5 September 2007
I'm putting this here to boost the star rating, absurdly reduced by the 1-star review from Ms Felicia. Her description is accurate, but for me that's what makes this a 5-star album, in fact I'd put it in my top 10 of all time, up there with Songs of Leonard Cohen and Closer.
By the way, I believe this CD has the channels reversed (not that your enjoyment / misery will be reduced), this was corrected on the 2CD complete Elektra recordings which was due out recently but has mysteriously disappeared.
on 23 October 2004
This album must remain David Ackle's ultimate including as it does the quintessential "Down River" and "Road to Cairo". It is however noteworthy that in the late sixties, when I first purchased these tracks, (I still have the vinyl) that "Road to Cairo" was entitled "La Route a Chicago" and was in French. So what? I hear you ask. Only that Ackles sung in with much more force, almost as soul. I understand it is unavailable in French which is a great pity. The album deserves his much belated - and posthumous - praise.
on 24 May 2012
I played this album in the early 70's until the grooves were smooth - just rediscovered it. 'Down River' my favourite, and of course 'Road to Cairo'. A mystery to me that major success eluded him, though influencing the likes of Leonard Cohen Randy Newman and Tim Buckley definitely qualifies as a success. So glad I found it.
on 18 November 2011
This album is a perfect accompaniment for those times when you feel the need for a period of quiet contemplation and reflection. I first heard David on The Old Grey Whistle Test, and immediately bought the album on vinyl. Some decades later I still have it, and still listen to it.
on 12 December 2013
Classic. I bought the original vinyl when it came out in the late 1960's and loved it and was pleased to find a CD copy so many years later. Not for listening to every day, but special. Iconic even.
on 22 February 2008
Those who can't understand the greatness of this album is not a worthy listener. I bought this album 1967 and the music and lyrics is extremelly personal, big organ and with a touch Kurt Weill, at some times. I wish that David was still with us.
on 5 May 2010
First record of David Ackles and his best
Five stars to balance also 1 star, 4 and half would be more accurate.
That bluesy guitar (I grew up with Hendrix, Cream and the likes) may be is too much but the songs of David talk to the soul - music and words, the voice is good and the keyboards and the rhythm section are appropriate.
My own opinion: Ackles did not find his sound, being honest to follow his desire of music with big band, missing success and shortening his career.
However for me this first record remains a "bedside record".
P.S.: This record here is impressive, beautiful, and not so sad and to mention: music varies from, say : from the rubettes to Stockhausen, we have the choice and it is more a question of quality than genre.
on 26 July 2015
V. Good
... avoid this album. Wrist-slittingly depressing. Worse than Laughin' Lenny Cohen and Ian Curtis combined. Throw in Roger Waters, light the blue touchpaper and see a psychiatrist. This is miserable stuff.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse