4.0 out of 5 stars I actually like it
I very rarely buy cast recordings of entire shows, as there are usually only one or two songs on them that I like. So I have been waiting for a compilation album that would have on it the songs I like, and unlike other reviewers I was not dissapointed with this.
Published on 12 Nov 2008 by Riotoo

1.0 out of 5 stars not John's doing
Published on 29 Oct 2008 by Elizabeth A. Kus

1.0 out of 5 stars not John's doing, 29 Oct 2008
Elizabeth A. Kus (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
John Barrowman had nothing to do with this release. Nor does he receive any profits for it. This production company simply ripped the recordings John has done for his own releases or soundtracks, and even other compilation albums, and put them together to make this CD. the poor quality that some people have mentioned is because it wasn't actually recorded- quality is lost as you transfer recordings as they did to make this album.

This is not essential to any fan- buy the real stuff (not just for the quality!). And yeah, I understand the "I'm broke and can't afford to pay more than 3.98", I'm broke too... but if you pinch a few pennies and save up, you can afford to get yourself a little treat... a much better recording of John singing. (Music, Music, Music comes out in November... just in time for the holidays- don't you have a wishlist?)

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually like it, 12 Nov 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Coz it's John, 4 Nov 2008
Lauren (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
I bought this coz it's John. I had high expectations after Another Side, so this let me down a bit. But it's still fun to listen to (I love the Grease songs!), and with John's voice I had to give it at least 3.
Listen to this not coz you want to be blown away, but coz it's John.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't really blame John Barrowman for this one., 10 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
If reports are to be believed than poor John Barrowman actually had nothing to do with this album and so can't really be blame for it's quality. The only reason it gets 4 stars from me is because it is John Barrowman after all and he is a wonderful singer.
I recommend that people save their money for 'Music Music Music' which guarantees to be fabulous. However I am not going to quarrel over 3.98 if it were more expensive it certainly wouldn't be worth it for anybody other than a die-hard John Barrowman fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential John Barrowman, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
I loved it. Such a great selection. He can deliver every type of music. It isn't the first Barrowman Cd and it won't be my last

1.0 out of 5 stars Essential John Barrowman, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
Sound quality most disappointing. It sounded as if it had been recorded badly from an original. Most surprised as a previous John Barrowman CD was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Mother in Law, 25 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
I bought this for my Mother in Law ( 92 ) and she loves it. She is a great Barrowman fan, and if you are too, you are guaranteed to love this.She insists that I give it five stars, and who am I to disagree. Well done John.

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this album as present for a friend. They seem very happy with it although unfamilier with some of the tracks., 7 Oct 2009
Mike P. "mick-the-lad" (Billingham, Cleveland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
The friend I bought the album for is younger than myself and was not familier with all the tracks on the album. They did like what they heard however. I played the album myself and thought it was very good, although not keen on one or two tracks myself. It's like any album you buy. You do not always like every track on an album, regardless of the artist. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good album and would buy more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Barrowman, 30 Aug 2009
Marcos Munoz Vera "KalEl el Vigilante" (Canovelles, Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
A loose mix without match of stage tunes. They are not always well suited to John's voice, or he's unable to transmit life into them, which is a pity as he's such a fantastic performer and singer, and most sound bland and undistinct, making you long for the original hit or a shortened version (like in the case of "Sunset Boulevard" or a part of "High Flying Adored"). Nonetheless, there's a couple of good deliveries (specially "Why god why" and "We beseech thee"). The collaborations are superb, specially Claire Moore, the Phantom of the Opera singer is a wonder, and Maria Friedman sings the warmest part of "High Flying Adored".

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT REALLY ESSENTIAL, 7 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Essential John Barrowman (Audio CD)
Poor cash in rehase for his recent TV exploits. This album is really for the dire fan but JB forever lets himself down by poor production and poor vocal quality. If you like what he does then this is for you but if you're just passing please pass on through. This is one greatest hits collection for a bargin bin or free with the Sunday ppaers to recycle. JB - maybe its time to re think.

The Essential John Barrowman
The Essential John Barrowman by John Barrowman (Audio CD - 2008)