4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but ultimately no one wins
Fancinating book and story behind it. These two guys have opposite opinions but end up getting on rather well. The book and the new film ('Collision') go hand in hand. Hitchens and Wilson travel around together debating in different locations, neither relenting, neither winning. As you would expect.

My suspicion is that after reading this book (or watching the...
Published on 15 Oct. 2009 by David Woollin

3.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating read
Published 15 months ago by @sfg1958

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but ultimately no one wins, 15 Oct. 2009
David Woollin - See all my reviews

My suspicion is that after reading this book (or watching the film) atheists and Christians will both celebrate thinking 'our man did great' (I was at the premiere at a conference with a couple of thousand Christians and it finished with a huge round of applause). Ultimately I am not sure many minds will be changed by it.

Collision [DVD] [2009]

3.0 out of 5 stars A frustrating read, 1 May 2014
As with all structured debates, space and time is given to one or other party, not answering the question, not getting to the point or simply running round in circles. Yes, I admit I was clearly on the side of Hitchens before I opened the first page but Wilson's pontificating clearly left me exasperated whilst Hitchens never seems to deliver any telling points. It comes across as written / verbal jousting for the sake of it - no conclusion, no submissions, no capitulation and for the undecided no help at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars A let down of biblical proportions, 31 July 2012
While this book is on a subject that I find interesting it is unfortunate that it fails to live up to the expectations I had of it. Christopher Hitchens has, in general, written several thought provoking articles and books on the existence or non-existence of God and, as such, I was surprised to read this and find it filled with the sort of poorly thought through arguments that plague the theological discussions of 13 year old children. Throughout reading the book I had to occasionally put it down in surprise that both authors had put forward points that could so easily be torn to shreds by anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of the subject matter. On the plus side my annoyance was short lived as this "book" can be read in around an hour or less due to it's extremely short length. It is really more of a pamphlet than a book and certainly not worth the ridiculous asking price of £4.51. The price is especially criminal when you consider that many books which are far it's superior in both length and quality are of a similar price.

Over-all I would definitely not recommend buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 8 Nov. 2013
hitchens is an absolute machine, this is obviously just short extracts but would also recommend anything he has ever done

4.0 out of 5 stars Superbly entertaining, 12 Jun. 2012
As a reader of both Hitchens and Wilsons work I was rather excited to get my hands on this little book. I had watched the film/documentary 'Collision' before getting to the book so fully aware of what to expect. Both authors are excellent writers, especially Hitchens, and this really does add something to this piece. Whilst I very much enjoyed reading this, the fact that it is so short was a little disappointing. A longer version of this would have allowed for for the expansion and extrapolation of the arguments contained within. However, what we do have is very cogent debate. A small piece of advice - do not include this as one of your holiday books, it will take you less than an hour to read (most likely).

Is Christianity Good for the World?