5.0 out of 5 stars Full on metal
I am seriously into pre-Roots Sepultura. So when I searched Amazon and found this album I simply had to have it!

Published on 20 Oct 2009 by Martin Newman

3.0 out of 5 stars Metal by numbers for the Cavalera brothers.
I had quite high expectations of the Cavalera brothers reunion, especially when I read that it was co-produced by Logan Mader, formerly of Machine head. I don't think this is a particularly memorable album. It just sounds like the same sort of thing that the brothers have done for many years now in their respective bands. No one track on this album has really slapped me...
Published on 5 April 2008 by A. Chapman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Full on metal, 20 Oct 2009
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)

I have a huge sense of loyality to many bands that I have listened to over many years. The Cavalera brothers fall into this category for me. So it was with some trepidation that I listened to this for the first time. I really didn't want it to be some rehash of the glory days of Sepultura (pre-Roots for me)unless it was as good of course. No problems there then! This is a fantastic collection of full-on aggressive, good old fashioned Thrash with a dash of difference - hints of industrial and of course the brazilian influences.

I urge all listeners not to have preconceived ideas and compare this to Cavalera-era Sepultura. Just listen to this as a modern piece of solid Thrash Metal.

It's got to be said that the Marc Rizzo's guitar work is immense. It is very jagged and off key sounding and adds to the aggressive overtones of each song when combined with Max's harsh and gutteral vocals. By the way, I don't know of many vocalists that can sing so harshly and still sound so tuneful. It must be a natural gift that Max has.

'Ultraviolent' may be my favourite song on this album. I love its big chugging guitars matched with Max's metronomic chanted vocals.

This really should appeal to anyone that likes Sepultura, Soulfly and thrash metal.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wasnt Expecting This!, 8 Oct 2008
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
I have to admit that I only bought this album as I was being loyal to my memory of the original Sepultura line up, and the fact that I was really happy that Iggor and Max had patched things up.

So I wasnt expecting much if I'm honest, but this album is great. To me they have just taken themselves back 15 years and produced a slab of violence which really surprised me.

Unrelenting and actually quite catchy (yes catchy) in places this is a great buy.

The only minor gripes for me is firstly Max's voice can begin to grate after a while and Iggor's drumming is not as inventive or as exciting as in years gone by, but they really are only minor gripes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the next best thing to a Sepultura reunion, 8 April 2008
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
I've been waiting for this for a looong time, so maybe it's not a Sepultura reunion which is what we were all anticipating, but this is definitely the next best thing! Max and Iggor have got together to make some absolute magic, as good as anything they did in their legendary Seps career.

Tracks like Inflikted, Sanctuary and Hearts of Darkness are the pick of the bunch standing out with Max's signature sound and Iggor's powerhouse drumming.

One of my favourite albums of the year so far, definitely gotta check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 April 2008
Jamie Armitage (St. Albans, Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
A brilliant album from the greatest family partnership since the Wright brothers.

The opening track, Inflikted, blows you away and it doesn't let up pace throughout the album. Riffs blast through the speakers and crush you, pummeling you neverendingly. Both Joe and Marc do a fine job too, coping and accomplishing living up to the hype surrounding them thanks to the Cavelera brothers.

A great album, highly recommended and shouldn't be missing from any metal collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAX BACK TO HIS ANGRY BEST!!!, 12 Aug 2008
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Sepultura since the release of 'Beneath The Remains' and remained a fan until Max Cavalera left after 'Roots' and followed his Soulfly career which has put out some excellent albums. So when Soulfly released 'Conquer' I also bought this album at the same time. And I'm so glad I did.

Never one to have a problem venting his anger Max has Igor have created an album with the sole intention of making it as heavy as possible from start to finish. Not since 'Arise' has Max sounded so aggressive. The songs are intense with Max screaming/shouting his guts out and Igor thrashing away and each song is of high quality. To my mind Max writes the best riffs in metal and this album is full of them.

I won't go through the album track by track but the quality throughout is excellent. If you have any doubts about this album don't. Its well worth parting with your money!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blistering, 10 Oct 2008
Dr. Robert A. Josey "mystery lover" (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
Always had a lot of time for early Sepultura - the thrash band of the 90s with the most political edge, and the best lyrics. 'Arise' is an undisputed masterpiece, which still lives on.

I bought this out of a sort of mosh-talgia - just hoping it would be in the same ball park. And it is...

This is all out blistering metal. Great, vicious lyrics. Max's vocals on full attack. Powerful riffs and drumming. It's also leaner and meaner than the Sep's 'Roots Bloody Roots' era. There are some interesting soundscapes as intros/outros but mostly it is hard-core music. Honed by experience, and responding to - strangely enough - how much the world is turning out to be just as those guys predicted a decade ago.

Stand outs for me are 'Must Kill', 'Never Trust' and the title track.

A brilliant return to form.

5.0 out of 5 stars guys we missed you!, 17 Mar 2008
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
first of all the reason why i can't wait to get my hands on the Calvelera Conspiracy's Inflikted album by the Calvelera brothers is firstly due to the fact that its not for me to lazily suggest its influenced by their Sepeltura days and secondly it has none of them as tracks like Sanctuary and Inflikted shows how the twelve year fued and immediate reunion has not dimmed the brothers ability to make a epic, raw and brutal metal album coupled with Iggor's "batter you into submission" drumming and Max's "throat shredding" vocals on the 40 odd minute album which is enough for me to say welcome back and im hoping this side project evolves completely into a album making band since metal has lost some of its balls in recent years! and could do with the genre needing a much needed kick up the backside!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cavalera Brothers Are Back, 24 Feb 2008
R. Moura (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
Inflikted is a near-perfect engine of thrash aggression, a complete honor to the name of Cavalera.I've been lucky to ear the promo cd and to be honest this album is a must have for all metal fans,this album is great,buy it now,this album is a contender for album of the year,really good.Cavalera Rules!

4.0 out of 5 stars The boys are back in town, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
The opening track, Inflikted, makes you immediately think of Arise era Sepultura (not a bad thing at all I might add). It then moves on into the modern metal mayhem of Sanctuary, and this is where the album remains.

It certainly doesn't dwell in the past, but you can clearly hear the metal pedigree of each of the brother's past musical outpourings.

If anything I'd say the album sounds more like what you'd expect from the next Soulfly album (without the experimental world music ditties).

All in all the album is a great start for the boys, albeit nothing exceptional, and hopefully it evolves into something more than merely a side project.

Sepultwho?

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the wait, 25 Mar 2008
Jake Pembroke "Deadly Sinners!" (Cirencester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inflikted (Audio CD)
Max and Iggor are back and ready to rip your spine out through your ears!
this album is some serious stuff, blistering.
which is why you must buy it. An essential purchase for any metal fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›