5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised
Published on 4 Feb. 2009 by R. Sunner

2.0 out of 5 stars Did its job... at first.
I've had this remote for about 2 months now and I took about 1000 photos - in the severe cold weather conditions - before having to change the batteries and it worked a treat. However, when I changed them it simply stopped working; I initially thought that it was the batteries so I took them back for a refund and tried another brand but it still wouldn't budge! So now I'm...
Published on 26 Mar. 2011 by Natalie

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 4 Feb. 2009
R. Sunner - See all my reviews
This review is from: 100m 16 Channels Wireless Remote Shutter Control for Canon 60D 1200D 1100D 1000D 300D 350D 400D 450D 500D 550D 600D 650D 700D,G10 G11,Pentax DSLR Cameras as RS-60E3 100 meters (Electronics)
After reading a number of various reviews for potential remotes for my Canon 450d I elected to go for this product. After having read reviews for the RC-1 unit I opted for this remote because of it's additional functionality; although I was a bit wary as there had been no previous user reviews. So far (admittedly it's only been 30 minutes) I've tried all the settings and am pleased to write that it all works!

So far I've been able to test that the remote works from different rooms (through floors and walls) without issue. I don't forsee any distance and positioning limitations that the RC-1 has - although admittedly I've yet to try this from anywhere outside the house. As promised the remote works with the 450d's bulb mode. This is activated by putting the camera in bulb mode and holding down the remotes button for 3 seconds then releasing it, and pressing again when you want to complete taking the photo. Continuous shooting also works. One of the added benefits is that this remote also allows the camera to focus before any photo is taken.

A nice added feature is that the receiver has a plastic bit that fits into the camera's flash holder, in this way the remote can be temporarily attached to the camera so it is not hanging freely. Although this same plastic bit does make it a little awkward to remove the battery cover on the receiver- but that's just being picky. The only issue I've experienced so far is that the various switches that allow you to change between the 16 channels are quite small. Having large hands I will have to use something to switch these over (if ever required). The build is not the greatest but sturdy enough.

I'll try and update this review after using the remote in anger -but for now it seems to have been a good purchase (with both batteries included). Not bad for the price.

3rd April Update: After reading Graham White's review I should point out that the model I have seems to be different than the current picture. The receiver I had was square and the transmitter was rectangular. The current picture has a rectangular receiver - hence no flashholder I assume. PS - the remote is still going strong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 24 Feb. 2009
Graham White (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I agree with the point of the first reviewer (R. Sunner). However, my unit did not come with any plastic attachments to fit the receiver to the flash holder of my 450d. I'd be interested to see this and may ask the seller if it was supposed to be included as the item packaging was not sealed or taped up in any way.

The unit appears to operate the 450d with no problems. It seems to be a step up from the Canon branded RC-1 controller being radio driven rather than IR but for the same price. However, both units have advantages/disadvantages. The RC-1 requires you to put the camera in remote control mode (this one doesn't), but this controller means you have to fiddle attaching the receiver to the camera so six of one half a dozen of the other. But for me, the wider range of functionality and further signal reception of this controller win my vote.

It works with the camera modes as described. You can half press the button on the controller but this doesn't appear to focus the shot as it only focuses just before the shot is taken upon a full button press. However, if you think about how you'll use it, focusing just before the shot is probably the desired behaviour.

As described by the first review, build quality doesn't exactly feel solid and the frequency buttons really are tiny (you'll need a pin or something to change them). But for this price you can't expect huge quality, it does deliver on its promised functionality at the end of the day though which is what really counts.

Lastly, thanks to R Sunner as I may not have been brave enough to buy without the first decent review in place.

Update on Fri 27th Feb: I don't know what I was doing wrong but a half button press does now appear to work the auto focus for me. There are two units that get sent out (confirmed by the dealer), one which attaches to the camera hot shoe and the one (pictured on this page) which does not. I got the one shown and it appears you can't control which one you get if it matters to you. Without the attachment facility the receiver just dangles from the camera which isn't ideal but still works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit, 28 Mar. 2009
J. Hallett - See all my reviews
I bought this for my Pentax K200D as a replacement for a broken wired remote. I am well impressed. The receiver has a press on/off power button with an LED that glows red when it is switched on. Also another LED shows green when autofocusing and red when the shutter has been activated. The transmitter has a similar LED that provides the same function. The button on the transmitter seems solid enough and it is easy to activate the autofocus without activating the shutter (if required). The aerial is about 6 inches long but certainly is not required extended within at least 10 feet. The receiver comes with a lithium battery which is easily inserted through a battery door but there were no markings to show which way around so just try both until it works. The transmitter has no battery compartment so I can only assume that there is a replaceable set of batteries within (there are two screws at the back to take it apart). However, a label on the case says '12V' so it may well be more cost effective to buy a new unit rather than replace the batteries when they eventually die - only time will tell. My version didn't have a clip to attach to the flash shoe but it isn't heavy enough, or the cable long enough, to cause me any problem. As said previously, the code toggle switches are fiddly to use and need a pin or similar to move them - but I guess that's a good design because you only need to set them once and don't want to accidentally change the code in the field. OK, I've only had it a day but so far - top class !

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked straight from the box, 16 May 2009
I plugged this in my Canon 500 DSLR and it worked straight away. It is very impressive for the price. I have not tried if from any great distance but it does all I want it to do. I checked the photos taken with the remote and they look sharp which suggests the remote is activating the auto focus on the camera. I have Canons own small infra red remote device which does not appear to work as well as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat!, 23 Mar. 2009
Ms. KATHRYN COOPER "k cooper" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Simple design, but works perfectly with no hassle. Took it out last week with my tripod and got some shots from quite a distance away. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Work well with Canon 500D, 11 Sept. 2009
After reading reviews here, I bought it for my Canon 500D. It works perfectly and very easy to use. The half- press shutter autofocus also works.

I got the model that look exactly like in the photo, so I fix the receiver with the neckstrap to not let it hanging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play..., 25 April 2010
Robert Machin (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
No need for a long essay - suffice to say that it arrived in two days, I fitted the supplied battery, plugged it in (to my Canon G10) and presto - it worked! From parcel to first picture in three minutes. Looks tidy, feels well made - excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my 550D...And great service from BV electronics, 21 Sept. 2010
The product works well with my 550D. As another reviewer has already mentioned, there's no instruction manual but you would not need one since it is so simple to set up and use.

I have not stress tested the distance yet as I only got mine this morning. But when I tried it from about 7 metres it worked fine. The only thing that bothers me though is that when I set my camera to continuous shooting and use the remote, the camera would not stop shooting even after I have released the button on the remote I had to go to the camera to stop it from shooting. This problem may be specific to my camera or not but I can't really be sure. Having said that, I don't consider it a major issue as I don't intend to use this on action shots anyway.

The delivery from BV electronics was really fast. I am very pleased with this purchase and would not hesitate buying from BV electronics again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with my purchase, 9 Jan. 2010
Mrs. A. E. Thornton "Angie" (England) - See all my reviews
I needed a product to assist me with a 365 self portrait project and wanted something that hopefully would be more reliable than a infrared remote. This is the ideal product, you can activate the autofocus and set on the bulb setting very easily. You can't use your timer setting but there would no real benefit if you could.

After some use I have realised that the timer function does operate with the remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 meter remote, 17 July 2009
R. K. Gardner (Leeds W/Yorks UK) - See all my reviews
I recived my remote control today only two days after ordering,fantastic service,i am well pleased with the product,does excactly what it says on the packet.I have not done any serious shooting yet,but it works fine in the house.