Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 April 2009
I don't understand why so many people think the Kaiser Chiefs are declining! They're brilliant! The vocals are strong, the lyrics and melodies are great. If you liked Yours Truly or Employment, you WILL like this. Not perfect, or "Perfect Symmetry" for that matter, but still damn good. I really enjoyed Tomato in the Rain but it's all good. There's not one song that stands out as bad either.

Recommended
on 12 November 2008
To anyone considering buying this Album from the Kaiser Chiefs, In my opinion I would certain say Yes! buy this album.

The first track in my opinion isn't very good - this is Spanish Metal, However after this track the Album sky rockets in quality.

Tracks I think are very good

Never Miss A Beat, Like It Too Much, You Want History, Can't Say What I Mean, Half the Truth and Addicted to Drugs, the other tracks on the album which are still good but these songs stick out to me.

This album really continues the Kaisers cool style and I would really recommend to any Kaiser fan already and to anybody who hasn't heard them before to buy this album - but I suggest that you get their 2 other albums as well.
on 19 October 2008
I was very tempted to buy tickets for the Kaiser Chiefs, new tour. I'm glad I didn't. After listening to this album at work. I was pretty disapointed. Then again, the b-sides from 'Never Miss A Beat' should have been a good indicator, of their current musical direction. (Same old, same old.)'Off With Their Heads' should have been a poor second album, not a good third album. Don't get me wrong i'll still buy the album to complete my collection, but I suggest a rethink in camp Kaiser Chiefs, before writing recording their next album. Some better lyrics & change in musical direction would't go a miss.
on 14 September 2008
I have actually heard this record all the way through whilst working for a music magazine, and it is a terrific record. please stop posting negative reviews when you havn't heard the record, it is pointless and spiteful.
on 1 November 2008
This is a very poor excuse for an album. I believe it was originally going to be just an E.P. Perhaps they should have waited abit. It sounds like an album put out in a rush with songs written in the back of a cab on the way to the studio. Not a patch on on the two last albums. Yes, it does have a couple of toe tappers (Never miss a beat is one). An album needs more than two reasonable songs to be any good. Avoid.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2009
The third album in any band's career is usually an important milestone, sort of a pointer to the future, having taken stock of the past. Not so here. This is simply the KAISER CHIEFS treading water with no real indication of forward musical progression. Which makes OFF WITH THEIR HEADS no worse, yet no better, than either EMPLOYMENT or YOURS TRULY, ANGRY MOB. Why that should matter, given the disposeable nature of pop music, I'm not exactly sure...probably because I've yet to become indifferent towards the band, although I hope that never happens.

However, the production is clean and uncluttered and sounds good played loud. And it's a largely enjoyable, upbeat listen too. Standout tracks include NEVER MISS A BEAT, LIKE IT TOO MUCH, CAN'T SAY WHAT I MEAN and the 'Odd Couple' theme-reminiscent TOMATO IN THE RAIN. Standing out for all the wrong reasons, GOOD DAYS BAD DAYS sounds like The Skids on an even worse day and should really have been left off the album.

The sing-along choruses remain intact (always thinking about the live gigs) but one nice touch which won't be reproduced too easily on stage is the ELO-ish string section on LIKE IT TOO MUCH. It works and it's the only real indication of something different going on. The fact that it's a firmly retro touch doesn't surprise but one thought which occurs, and which I haven't been able to shake, is that this album would not have seemed out of place in 1980; 12" vinyl in a small record shop, in the section marked 'New Wave'.

Ricky Wilson, Nick Hodgson, Simon Rix, Nick Baines and Andrew White have other ideas in mind, however: they all want to be The Beatles - and Wilson even said in an interview that they were looking to make their own 'Abbey Road' - well, not here and not now, Ricky, not with this much reliance on the auto-pilot. And since you go on about school so much, 'must try harder' seems highly appropriate.

In the end, though, the Kaisers are about fun; they make you smile, their songs are infectious with great vocal harmonies, and they come from Leeds - not too bad a standpoint for when the next album beckons. I'll look out for the zebra crossing.

RECOMMENDED
on 10 October 2008
This is a perfectly pleasant collection of short sharp pop songs, but it's becoming obvious after three albums that The Kaiser Chiefs aren't ever going to try and reinvent the wheel. They do what they do, and that's it ... blur-lite (circa parklife).

If you enjoyed the first two albums you'll enjoy this one as well. It's not bad, but it's not anything special either.
on 21 October 2008
Well, they couldn't have put it better themselves. It should be a collection of short, sharp, slightly arty pop songs, wittily written to reflect our modern life. But there's no spark, no killer single, no amusing lyrical twists, and the wit has been replaced with a slightly tired formula and precious little left to say that hasn't been said before. The music's there, but the vocals are buried in the mix and I think for good reason. It has improved after a couple of listens but there isn't a hidden gem in there and I can't imagine it'll be a regular play, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to this record. In summary, nothing left to see here, time for a new direction.
on 9 February 2009
Well, i saw this and thought Yes! a new kaiser chiefs album as i loved Employment and Yours Truly Angry Mob. I read some reviews and i have to admit i read alot of negative reviews (obviously there were good ones though) this made me wonder if i should buy it. Anyway, i decided to buy it...So glad i did! cant stop listening to it! its so catchy, love it! Kaiser chiefs have never let me down. One thing that i love is that i dont think ive ever heard any swearing either :)...i am listening now whilst im writing...Sticks and stones and animal bones! This is a catchy one :)...want my advice? buy now, brilliant album at a brilliant price :) Peace x
on 4 March 2009
a very fine album well worth a listen,the kaisers are proving to be a top top british band,we could have another jam on our hands here!