5.0 out of 5 stars Get creative.
Is this the most comprehensive book to guide you through Photoshop CS3? Probably not. But it does give you a description of the menus and gently guides you through most of the common functions.

Published on 13 April 2008 by @GeekZilla9000

1.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly for Dummies
I bought this as I have little or no knowedge of post processing. I have fiddled with photoshop before and was looking for a book that would tell me how I could do what I wanted. This does not do that at all.

Published on 13 Nov 2008 by S. Wager

5.0 out of 5 stars Get creative., 13 April 2008
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I've played around with many photo-editing applications over the last few years but not actually Photoshop (which many consider bizarre considering that Photoshop is generally viewed as the ultimate in photo editing software), so I'm quite comfortable with many procedures, but was a bit phased at the vast array of options open to me in Photoshop.

This book has helped me to familiarise myself with the programme, and to edit my photos with the book as a trusty guide.

I have learnt a lot about Photoshop from this book. It covers the basic stuff through to some advanced editing techniques. It isn't a an encyclopaedia of all the functions, but it makes what can often be a daunting application very accessible - particularly for those who are new to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy passport to the complex land of Photoshop, 27 Jun 2008
John Joyce "Author - Masterpiece" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a person who is an author first, a self-publisher second and a computer expert (a very poor) third, I found this book a gentle introduction to the process of creating covers for my 'Virtual Trilogy' series of books and for the accompanying website.

As usual, the simple to read language and humorous cartoon interludes between chapters give the deceptive impression that this manual is lightweight - which it most certainly is not. Photoshop is (at least in my humble opinion)a very advanced computer graphics programme and the manual accompanying it has a bewildering array of information that is (again in my humble opinion) not as accessible as it might be.

This 'For Dummies' version however,is easy to read, detailed enough to be useful and (unlike many other 'For Dummies' volumes) has many pages in colour, which are essential for a programme like Photoshop.

Once again, 'For Dummies' has given this computer Luddite enough confidence to make the most out of his investment in computer software, at least enough to approach the full manual without anxiety.

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise Reference to CS3, 21 Feb 2009
The is primarily a reference book with good indexing and contents listing.
It outlines the new features in CS3 in a concise and straightforward manner.
Even though it is just scratching the surface of this complex programme it goes deep enough for me to understand the basics which is all I want.
I would certainly reccommend this book to beginners and to those a little more experienced.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly for Dummies, 13 Nov 2008
S. Wager "swag72" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews

For example - I was looking at how to open a layer - I would like a book, with screen shots saying press here and open this. This book does not operate in this way.

There is lots of info, but no step by step guides on how to undertake the most basic post processing before you step up to the more difficult tasks.

If you want a real guide, then don't waste your money. I am sure that this book has a purpose, but it certainly isn't aimed at total newbies to CS3 unlike the title, which would suggest it is.

All in all, a total disappointment that for me does not do what the title suggests. Wish I'd never wasted my monet to be honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 5 Feb 2010
A. Verschoyle - See all my reviews
I was completely lost when I bought Photoshop CS3.

Then I purchased this fantastic book from Amazon and was stunned by the amount of information contained within its' covers.

This is probably the best publication on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars hotoshop CS3 for Dummies, 18 Sep 2009
Ms. E. Lewis - See all my reviews
The book is great just what I wanted. Written in language I can understand. Delivery was within 24 hours. Excellent service.

1.0 out of 5 stars A nonstarter, 18 Oct 2008
James J. Williss "Jim Williss" (Tamworth England) - See all my reviews
After I bought this book I thought that at least I would make some progress in the the use of photoshop but this book is certainly not for dummies and assumes the reader to have quite a lot of knowhow about photoshop all ready. I am now searching again online for real help to master photoshop. This book is not even close.

5.0 out of 5 stars photoshop for Dummies, 20 Feb 2010
P. Towns (North East England) - See all my reviews
I have purchased this kind of book before and allways found them very easy to understand and follow
A must have for Beginners .

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me get to grips with this software, 16 May 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am a casual photo editor and use CS3. This book is well laid out and the instructions are easy to follow. By using this book and following the examples I have managed to get much more out of the software,
A very good buy for CS 3 users with easy to follow examples.

3.0 out of 5 stars As Described, 18 Jun 2013
Every body in the family has borrowed it, at sometime to checkout the tips and methods to improve their pictures.

Photoshop CS3 For Dummies