on 25 October 2008
This is an excellent home cinema receiver. So far I've used it mainly for listening to Compact Discs and Mini Discs using the 'multi-stereo' mode which outputs the two channel (stereo) sound from all seven speakers plus the subwoofer. And I am very pleased with the sound quality.

It features Full HD 1080 up-scaling of any video sources (which works well with standard DVDs) - and it can decode the latest Blu-ray disc formats (namely Dolby True HD, and DTS-HD master audio).

In terms of inputs and outputs - it has 4 HDMI input sockets which can also carry audio, and one HDMI output for connecting to your HD ready TV. There are also component and composite video inputs/outputs.

There are five digital audio inputs (three optical, two coaxial) - there is no digital output, however there are two standard analogue tape loops, so you can connect audio equipment which requires an output (such as CD recorders, tape decks etc.) in the traditional manner, using standard phono (RCA) leads.

There are also 9 standard analogue line inputs, a multi channel input (essential for SACD) and a Digital Media Port input.

There is also of course, an AM/FM radio with RDS.

The receiver reproduces the sound on CDs and MDs very well, and gives a very musical sound, with good levels of detail and insight into the recording. Bass is well controlled and delivered also. And the sound draws you in.

In terms of DVD playback the sound is even more impressive than CDs or MDs. The DTS soundtrack on Terminator 3 sounds exceptional. Blu-ray playback is top-notch also. The Dolby True HD on Casino Royale (deluxe edition) is great - I am using: Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Full HD

The automatic calibration feature - using the (supplied) microphone is quick, easy, and accurate, and sets up the receiver to a high standard. This works by sending a series of loud test-tone signals through each loudspeaker in turn. It takes about 30 seconds or so to set-up speaker distances, volume levels, and frequency response settings for all of the speakers plus the subwoofer.

The end result is that the receiver is set up exactly to match your speakers, room size and layout - giving you the best possible sound.

There is a graphic equalizer, which gives you control of bass and treble settings for front, centre and surround speakers (independently). And in addition you can choose one of three auto-calibration frequency settings:

1) Full Flat - Makes the measurement of frequency from each speaker flat.

2) Engineer - Sets the frequency to one that matches that of the Sony listening room standard.

3) Front Reference - Adjusts the characteristics of all the speakers to match the characteristics of the front speakers.

You can experiment with these settings to get the type of sound you prefer. Or you can choose to turn these settings off altogether.

The receiver is also supplied with two remote controls, a large remote and a small remote. Many of the functions are repeated, so this is mainly for convenience sake, and I've found it to be quite handy.

You can operate and navigate the unit's menu system either by using the built in display, or by using the display on your television set. Either way, once you get used to it, it is user friendly and simple.

I have found this to be a good buy with which I am pleased.

(Also available in silver).
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As the title suggest this is a top notch AV amp that is worthy of serious consideration. For starters in decodes all the new Hi Def codecs from a Blu Ray disc.
Alot is made of the visual improvements with BR (i.e x6 more detail)- but the sound is a massive step up also, and you need an amp like this to do it justice. It has 4 HMDI inputs, plenty in fact for you HD kit (Sky HD / BR player / DVD etc etc).
Once connected up - attach the supplied microphone to where you view your movies and the amp will measure the distances between all speakers, making room calibration an absolute synch.
There's more - 100w output per channel gives plenty of power for the most demanding of movie soundtracks - also audio is handled very well; this is one of the most musical receivers around.

As you can guess I love this amp - get in quick before they all disappear
on 16 June 2009
I didn't want to buy this receiver, since I was very happy with my Sony STR-DA555ES. The growth in HDMI sources forced me to reconsider, and I bought one for its HDMI switching ability, with a little trepidation as to whether the sound quality would disappoint.
I needn't have worried. This receiver is both powerful and musical, (and even a little smaller and lighter than the previous one). I use it in a "4.1" configuration, i.e. front and rear left/right, plus a subwoofer. Much of my usage is for music (SACD). The quality is excellent in all regards.

SKY HD uses an HDMI input, unfortunately not for sound due to some odd thinking on SKY's part, so the audio is input via optical. The receiver ties these together as a single source, (named SAT). Another reviewer has mentioned a video/audio sync problem, and I sometimes see it on this source only. It changes with SKY channel, however, so I'm more inclined to blame the source.

For DVD recording I use a Sony RDR-HXD910 HDD/DVD recorder which does its own upscaling, connecting via HDMI.

The third HDMI input is occupied by a Popcorn Hour A-100 media player, used mainly for high definition (1080p) video, both from a Sony HD camcorder and slideshows created on a PC.

The fourth HDMI input is for a blu-ray player. Having been very pleased with this item, I eagerly looked for a SONY blu-ray player that would also play SACD, DVD, DVD-Audio and CD. There isn't one.
Instead I have obtained an Oppo BDP-83 which does all of the above and more, and very well. It uses all of the generous capabilities of the receiver to fine effect. Unfortunately the receiver does not handle DSD on the HDMI input (from SACD), only PCM which is audibly inferior and also available from the Oppo, so instead for SACD only I use the multi-channel input which handles the Oppo's analogue outputs extremely well.

Stereo audio from my TV is fed into an analogue input.

In conclusion, the receiver handles everything I have thrown at it with aplomb, and is equally capable of room-shaking movie sountracks and delicate classical music. Video switched via HDMI is indistinguishable from that fed directly into the TV, and standard definition analogue inputs are noticeably improved by upscaling.
I have two minor complaints; firstly I feel a DAB radio tuner in addition to the fine FM one should have been a feature. Secondly, I have VERY occasionally had distorted video output (blocky digital artefacts) when switching from an audio-only source to one with video. This is always cleared by switching to standby and on again, taking less than 10 seconds.

In conclusion this is a fine piece of equipment, well worth its cost.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having owned various av receivers over the past years, i have found this Sony receiver to be top notch, i have previously owned Marantz, Nad,Arcam, Denon, and Pioneer receivers, I was unsure of Sony in this field but i was pleasantly surprised, all the functionality you need for modern connection to all your av items, sounds fantastic, and a very easy setup and on screen display, I feel this AV Receiver will do me for the next few years and i well reccomend to both beginner and experienced alike.
Dixie.
on 1 February 2009
I like it, though my previous Yamaha (no hdmi) was decent at £200 (original price 300). I have been happy with this system for a few years. Though this Sony one is more simple, it works out all the settings exactly, you just place the mic where you sit. As the system is in my bedroom, I had to balance it on my pillow where I place my head. Also unlike my old Yamaha the wires fitted very easily at the back of the amp. It worked first time with the PS3, but u have to set the PS3 to PCM, and unclick dolby digital 5.1, then the amp will display the frequency of the PCM. It also has a picture of the speakers used on the screen.

The sound does seem to have that heavy, but harmonic bass you find on the really expensive systems.

I would not bother with the 7.1 as most films are 5.1. Even audio is best listened to at 2.0 (no DSP). I like having only 3 choices for film DSP, but well designed DSP. The system makes the subwoofer sing, the sound fields are wide, and expansive, which blend and interwine in an ambient sea.

You can also change the name of the inputs, I changed BR to PS3, and phono to record....
on 20 September 2009
As someone who loves music and having owned audiolab amps in the past, I am not easily impressed by mainstream amps in general. However, after reading several very positive reviews in What Hi Fi and on Amazon, I decided to change my AV Amp for this Sony.

Setting up was a doddle, though I have since done this manually with better effect. With a 3 year old, the first dvd we played was The Magic Roundabout...we know this one inside out...the difference between the Sony and the previous Denon was staggering! Sound effects hurtled around the room, leaving little man engrossed in the whole film for the first time since we bought the dvd, but asking also, "What was that?" as he turned his head to follow the sounds.

In 2 channel, radio and cd capture much (if not all) of the precision of my old Audiolab 8000A, though with a boat-load more emotion/passion - as a family, we are currnetly giving some of our neglected cds a second-hearing...it really is that good!

If you want to spend this much on an amp and want it to convey the power of dvd and the emotion of music...it's dead simple...BUY IT. Service and price from AMazon is, as usual, first rate.Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black
on 2 November 2010
The item arrived as promised by Amazon, wired up to samsung speakers i borrowed just to test it, its sounds amazing even with the speakers i borrowed. The down side is that its a bit on the big side and looks like a coffee table but it has a lot of hardware in it so i guess it needs the space.I ordered jamo speakers as well but sadly my order went through and the price for some reason had jumped 27quid? why i dont know,i was exteremely dissapointed at that but cant wait to get them and try this system out as a full 5.1 and given the reviews i am sure it will be brilliant. I will also note i went to local sony shop and they had an 2400es on demo and by god it was amazing,mind you they did have it wired up to £900 speakers lol,will add though they wanted £550 for it and knowing the salesman he offered me it for £450, i told him amazon wee selling them for £200and he couldnt believe it saying they pay more for them than that...Anyway heres hoping my speakers come soon and lets try this baby out...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 December 2009
A great AMP, nothing could be simpler to use. I cant see many AMPs being this easy to use. I have it twinned with the Jamo A102 5.1 speaker set and it is just fabulous. If I add another pair I get 7.1 but no movie I know has a 7.1 soundtrack yet.
2 remotes, one large, one small. Have not unpacked the small one as I just use the large one.
The large remote is programmable, can be programmed to control other devices like a TV. The AMP is around on the market a long time and it does not control the TV function completely (Samsung series 7)
I'm hoping Sony can remedy that as I would like the Sony remote to be able to control more than P+- on my TV. I have no code for it to control the BluRay player as it only has a code for one Sony BluRay player.
I will still recommend this AMP, if you can - stretch your budget to a newer Sony model.
3 stars not 4 for this reason.
Speaker calibration was child's play, plug the mic in and run speaker setup using the on-screen menu.
The Jamo speaker impedance is 6ohms, the Sony has settings for speaker impedance; when you connect speakers with an impedance of 8 ohms or higher, set the impedance setting to 8 ohms. When connecting speakers with a lower impedance, set it to 4 ohms.
It looks great, is heavy (as a good amp should be) and generates a decent amount of heat in use (I'm sure all others do too) Keep all such units ventilated.
The HDMI CEC standard allows the TV to turn it on and off, so BRAVIA Sync works with my Samsung kit. Put a disk in the blu ray player, both my TV and the Sony amp switch on automatically.
HDMI CEC is a match for Sony's BRAVIA Sync, Samsung's Anynet+ and Im sure others too.
Plug it in, connect your speakers and your subwoofer, the TV, the DVD/BluRay to it. Run the speaker calibration and enjoy. Not much more.
Don't wake the kids with it, is a powerful unit.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 September 2009
I bought this as part of a programme to upgrade to Hi Def from my old system consisting of an early Panasonic standard def plasma panel and a Yamaha AV Receiver with Yamaha surround speakers. I'm not an audiophile, but I do enjoy surround sound with my movies. My old AV receiver only supported Dolby Digital, not DTS or any of the HD audio formats so I wanted something that would support these and provide upscaling for some of my non Hi Def sources. At this price point this model looked like it had everything I wanted.
The receiver went in very easily. I kept my old speakers, thanks to the 4 ohm / 8 ohm setting option on the receiver, but they now sound ten times better than with my old Yamaha (796 RDS I think was the model number). Much more depth and clarity. The 'night mode', which emhphasises dialogue and dials down explosions is very effective and useful when our daughter is asleep upstairs.
I've run all my sources through the receiver, running only a single HDMI cable up to the TV which has decluttered it nicely. There's a really good range of inputs on the back so I've managed to connect a Sky HD box (HDMI), Media PC (Component + Optical Audio), Blu Ray Player (HDMI), Wii (Composite) and XBox 360 (HDMI). Switching between these inputs is straightforward and the remote commander supplied with the receiver controls my Blu-ray player (Sony) and my TV (Samsung) so I only have to resort to a second remote when viewing Media Centre content and for the Sky+ box. The remote commander works very well and a real plus if you have other Sony kit. Another nice touch is the 'HDMI Control' setting that means that when I turn off the TV, it automatically shuts off the AV Receiver.
I don't feel I can comment much on the upscaling, because I never tried running any sources directly into the TV. A minor niggle here is the fact that only sources coming in on non-HDMI conections get upscaled apparently; anything coming in on HDMI gets passed straight through. The standard def from my Sky+ player is noticeably poorer than the hi-def but I don't know if it would be improved by upscaling in the amp.
Another nice touch is that the sound through the speakers autmatically cuts out when you plug in headphones. A small thing, but an irriatation on my old yamaha (on which I had to turn off the speakers manually) and just one more thing that makes it feel easier to live with.
A minor niggle with the set-up, though I think it's the fault of the Blu Ray player, is that sometimes the decoding of audio takes palce in the player rather than the receiver. As I understand it, the two devices 'negotiate' to decide who is most capable. I prefer the sound when the AV receiver does the decoding (lus you get visual confirmation of the audio format that way) but there's no way of setting that to always happen. The AV receiver does, however, helpfully have a bright blue light on when it is decoding and if it isn't, turning it off then on again seems to switch roles for the two devices. As I say, I think it's more down to the Blu-Ray drive but something to look out for.
All in all a great bit of kit and I can't imagine that others at the same price point offer anything more.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Mr NF Stewart commented in his review that we should snap these up before they all disappear and he was right. I had to wait almost three months for mine because Sony had sold all UK stock, that's how good they are. This is a 7.1 channel amp with the option to use it as 5.1 with an extra pair to use in another zone. I bought it to replace a Sony STR-DG820 and use it in 5.1 mode because of the hassle of running the extra pair of cables. This amp is a lot more dynamic than its predecessor amd makes a lot more use of my subwoofer. The old amp never implemented LFE when connected to my Sky box but this one does so everything has a lot more punch. I have also noticed that if HDMI control is activated it also switches on my Panasonic TV but conversely the amp will then select TV instead of SAT when it receives the signal back from the television which can be a little annoying but easily rectified. Set up was easy with the auto calibration mike and the GUI is a definite bonus. It has a wide selection of assignable inputs including multi-channel in case your blu-ray player is unable to decode some codecs in house and output via HDMI. At nearly £500 it is hard to appreciate that this is a budget receiver in may eyes but if this is your budget then you won't be disappointed. I run mine with Monitor Audio Radius 90 speakers and a Velodyne SPL800 sub and it sounds great.