5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons from a leadership genius
It takes a lot of leadership skills to run a volunteer organisation, you can't make volunteers do anything (no carrot, no stick). Hybels would have made a massive impact in business if he'd stayed in that field, instead he was called to start a church - and what a church!
Published on 11 April 2009 by Fantastic

2.0 out of 5 stars The basic premise is the problem
Published on 19 Feb. 2011 by Endlessly restless

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons from a leadership genius, 11 April 2009
This review is from: AXIOM (Paperback)
If you want to lift your leadership lid, he's distilled for us here a massive amount of practical, life-tested, organisational dynamite into bite sized pieces you can remember. The best book I've read on leadership for a long time (and i read a LOT of them!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 13 April 2010
Prof J. Maxon (Shap, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AXIOM (Paperback)
I have been teaching about leadership for over 30 years and during this time I have read countless books and articles on the subject and I have to say that Axiom will rank within the top 10 leadership books I have ever read. With very few exceptions, virtually all the tips, suggestions, comments and so on made within the book are as eaqually appropriate for leaders in the secular world as they are in the religious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource for Church Leaders, 25 Mar. 2013
John Tyrell (Staffs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs (Kindle Edition)
This is an easy to read, down to earth book of wisdom.
Bill Hybels' experience comes through the pages and helps church leaders get a balanced view of their own situation.
The short chapters make a joy to read and easy to digest.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to keep close at hand with clear and constructive insights for any leaders looking to get better., 28 April 2014
This review is from: Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs (Kindle Edition)
I like the short and snappy approach which makes each idea or lesson more memorable. It's a book which should never be too far away as it offers down to earth, hard hitting inspiration which any long term leader will find refreshing and invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs (Kindle Edition)
Even if you don't necessarily agree with everything - I can at least be challenged by it - and it can make me think.
A book to read through from cover to cover and then dip into regularly

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs (Kindle Edition)
simple, bite sized nuggets of wisdom that all
leaders and managers could benefit from. superb book. if anyone on your leadership team hasn't read it then buy it for them

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy read on leadership, 10 July 2014
Tim S. (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs (Kindle Edition)
Once more Bill Hybels has produced an easy read with loads of great leadership tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: AXIOM (Paperback)
Great read and would recommend it to most people

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Aug. 2009
M. J. Williamson (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AXIOM (Paperback)
This is an absolutely incredible book of bitesize chunks of distilled wisdom! Hybels has done it again.. His heart for Leadership and for God overflows and inspires you to new levels. So practical and so good. A must buy for any aspiring leader

2.0 out of 5 stars The basic premise is the problem, 19 Feb. 2011
This review is from: AXIOM (Paperback)
I'm a fan of Bill Hybels. I like his writing and his preaching. However, I was disappointed with this book. It took me many months of picking it up and laying it down, before I was able to finish it. There is a lot of very valuable material contained in this book (which is why I kept picking it up); but there is something stilted and artificial about the presentation (which is why I kept laying it down). It reads like series of blog posts that have been stapled together, which I didn't enjoy.

But it was only when I had finished the book and looked at my book notes again that I realised what the problem really was - and it's the basic premise of the book! in the introduction Bill Hybels states:
"I think seasoned leaders ought to be able to pinpoint their guiding principles on the important stuff of leadership and distil them down to memorable sound-bites that can be called upon at a second's notice to inform a critical decision."

In my opinion, the first part of that statement is absolutely valid - leaders must be able to identify their guiding principles (through a process of reflection and self-evaluation). But I would strongly dispute the second half of it - distilling these principles to sound bites. Yes we need to be able to explain and communicate our principles, but these can be complex and merit more than a 'sound bite'.

So this one wasn't a hit with me, but I will keep reading and listening to Bill Hybels - he has a great deal to teach us.

Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs