5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first impression
I've just bought this from Amazon - speedy service and nearly the best price online -many thanks. I am mighty impressed by the iP4600 already and don't think anyone need look further than this unless they need A3 printing.

Published on 9 Oct. 2008 by James Bury

3.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off Ink Costs for the Canon 4600
I was just about to order the 4600 & have been comparing notes with my brother who has the IP4500.

Most of the comparative reviews state there are very few differences between this printer & the previous model, the IP4500.

Published on 16 Dec. 2008 by Mitre17

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first impression, 9 Oct. 2008
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews

I bought this mainly for my consulting work, and was after a printer that could produce the best quality colour documents. It has been very hard finding useful reviews on business-grade ink-jet printers, as most reviews seem to concentrate on photo printing ability rather than plain paper performance. However, although this may primarily be a photo-printing machine, it is absolutely outstanding at plain-paper documents too.

Setting up was straightforward - it all fitted together fine and there was nothing complicated in the 6-stage process that is clearly set out in the documentation. As usual, no USB cable is included so if you don't already have a spare one, you will need to buy one to use this printer. One very minor gripe was that as part of the setup process, it walks you through the installation of drivers from the CD, followed by a restart, and then configuration of the system. Part of this includes a clever printhead self-alignment procedure, but when presented with the on-screen option to carry this out, you have to press 'Execute' rather than 'Next'. If you do the latter, it doesn't carry out the alignment process, and there is no back-button to allow you to re-select it. I couldn't find any way to manually start the alignment test, and in the end had to reinstall the drivers to trigger the whole installation process again. That being said, it seems to calibrate itself automatically so there is no user-involvement required other than feeding the paper in and running the alignment test.

Printing documents at normal quality on basic paper produces excellent results - plenty good enough for presenting to clients for routine documents. Using good paper and high-quality printing, it is still surprisingly fast and the quality is superb - close to 'proper' litho-printed standard -and just the job for when you want to really impress. Text is crisp black and very well defined indeed - unless you get the magnifying glass out, it really is very hard to tell that it hasn't been professionally printed. White text on colour backgrounds is superb, and blocks of colour are impressively solid with no speckling or banding. It really is excellent, and I prefer the matt finish of the ink to the slightly glossy output of some colour lasers. Certainly anyone else looking for a printer to produce really professional documents will be delighted with this - you just can't fault the output at all. I was prepared to spend £100's if necessary to get top-grade document printing, but truly there is no need - this does the job beautifully.

I don't normally use my own printers for photos as I prefer the quality and price of online services. Having said that, I have printed some photos with the iP4600 to see how it does, and again it is very impressive. The quality is absolutely excellent and it is also remarkably quick. You would be very hard pushed to spot the difference between a lab-print and one of these - it certainly does not look like it has come from a sub-£100 ink-jet. Price per print is a little tricky to estimate, but 6x4 paper sells for c.7.35p per sheet on Amazon, and if you could print an average of say 300 prints per set of inks (£40ish) that would add 13p or so of ink cost, so a total price of about 20p per print sounds about right. Online services charge 5-10p + postage, so still represent better value if you're printing off a decent batch, but for speed and convenience, these printers are an excellent choice.

I was a little nervous about buying this printer as it seemed too cheap to deliver the quality I wanted. I was totally wrong - this is a superb machine and worth every penny. It looks great and performs brilliantly. My last machine was, I suspect, harmed by using cheap non-branded inks. The quality of print output noticeably improved when I switched back to Canon inks, but damage had already been done. I use a lot of illustrations and graphics in my reports, and the vibrancy and quality of the print output from the iP4600 is really impressive - way better than any printer I've seen for under £1,000. And this time, I am going to stick to using Canon own-brand inks....

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, fast, professional. Deserves 5 stars for sure., 17 Oct. 2008
G. Fousert - See all my reviews
An brilliant piece of top quality kit.
Easy to setup, use and work with. I bought this to replace an aged but still good Epson CX6600 which was recenlty rendered useless due to a refilled cartridge. The iP4600, on the other hand is something else. Out of the box and working in no time. As usual, no USB cable but no issue there as I have plenty. I downloaded the latest drivers prior to delivery incase of any installation issues but was not required.
Installation program was very easy to follow. Clear and simple as always with Canon.

Initially, I expected to pay around 200GBP and get an realtively good printer. When a friend suggested I consider the iP4600 I was unsure considering the price. All I can say is, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference from a lab print and one from this printer... very hard pushed.

Since it's arrival 24 hours ago, I've done around 50 prints on 6x4 glossy and satin and the quality is incredible. The print speed is brilliant too. I was very surprised to see my print on the tray and still achieve truly professional results.

Upkeep is cheap too. An ink set is around 33.00GBP and refills are expected to be fractionally less (although I won't be using them for a good few years - just prefer having confidence in branded goods, that's all.)

It's also worth noting that Canon allow you to replace/repair the print head too contrary to other brands. Should this ever fail it won't require a new printer, just a new head.

In all, best purchase for a long, long time. Truly excellent value for money, awesome speed with no compromise on quality both technically and functionally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality printer, but...., 25 Jan. 2009
P. English (UK) - See all my reviews
Thhis printer produces fantastic results, looks good, is fast but be warned.

You have to really force the ink tanks in hard, otherwise you might do as I did and spend hours searching for a solution to a problem or, worse still, send it back for a refund.

I first bought one of these about 4 months ago. However, after setting it up in accordance with the instructions, I couldn't get it to print. It wouldn't even get past the print head alignment stage. The green and orange lights were flashing and I had error code C000. According to the manual, if this happens you have to power off the machinem unplug it and then start over. If this fails, it said contact Canon technical help desk. It didn't work, so I contacted Canon. They told me it was a technical fault and that I should return it to Amazon for a refund or replacement. No problems there, it went back and a full refend given. Then, last week, seeing as this is the only printer I really wanted, I bought another. After setting up, guess what? The exact same problem. I couldn't believe it. Canon helpdesk is closed at weekends, so I thought I'd try and find a solution to the problem myself online, as I just couldn't believe that it was faulty again. After spending 2 hours on the net I finally found out that it is simply a case of the ink tanks not being pushed in hard enough. You have to really force them, they might click in as the manual states, bit unless they are fully in top and bottom, this problem occurs. Now why couldn't the manual or even the Canon Helpdesk give this solution?

I wasted so much time, sending back an apparently faulty printer, then having another with exactly the same problem, that I feel it is only fair to warn others who might experience the same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars look no further, your next printer is here, 5 Dec. 2008
I was looking for a replacement for my old Epson R320, this Canon product caught my eye because I needed to print direct to CD's/DVD's. I read lots of reviews and looked at lots of sites and once again decided to use Amazon.
Ordered on the Saturday night and it arrived on the Wednesday morning using the free delivery option. Well packed and all intact. A myriad of documents and bits inside the box, software, ink tanks, print head, cd caddy all well secured. No USB cable but I knew that anyway and just used the one off my old printer. Set up took about 45 minutes, maybe a bit long but I wanted to take care with every step to make sure I got it right. When first turned on the machine makes a lot of mechanical noises as it sets itself up.
The install of the print head and ink was a breeze. I had a small bother with the front paper cassette because by that time I was getting impatient to start and missed some instructions on set up. The printer looks sleek and is far less intrusive than my old one.
It is supplied with some sample 6x4 sheets & two sheets of paper for aligning the print head and only needed the one, took a while to complete and made some funny set up noises again but the process was all automatic, just load the paper in the back tray and press go.
Software install was simple, registration done online, and then was ready to print.
I must say when I tried printing my first project I thought something had gone wrong, I thought it wasn't working, it was that quiet in operation. finally the quality, oh the quality of the print, look, if you want an outstanding inkjet that will also print to Cd's, just buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 22 Nov. 2008
M. Hodgkiss (UK) - See all my reviews
I cannot believe how good this thing prints.
It was more than i expected for the price and it outperforms my HP B9180 pro photoprinter which is £500.

I'm a professional photographer and i'd say these prints were as good as a pro lab.

Fantastic!! well done canon

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunnigly great value, 16 Dec. 2008
I had been looking for a repacement for the printer that has served me very well for the last 8 years without any problems. I wanted one that would give me the best photo prints as well as providing me with the basic day to day letter and other requirements. Whilst all-in-one solutions may be good for some things I have usually found them to fall short on at least one function and I already have a more than adequate Canon scanner. Speed is also not a priority for me but the specification was more than adequate.
Having looked around at what was available and read the reviews I was drawn to the IP4600 and took the plunge. The printer was delivered in a few days and once out of the box it was straight forward to set it up. I had read somewhere that the printer was only supplied with 4 ink cartridges - the larger capacity black being omitted - but it came with all 5 tanks. Loading the software was simple and the printer was usuable within the hour. The printer comes with drivers for Vista so if I ever upgrade to that operating system it is future proofed. The first 6x4 photo prints I took off were as good as any from a print shop so I was more than pleased. Having tried different photo papers I was then able to see the benefit of the better papers - something not obvious with my previous printer - so I will be buying some good papers now. As for speed the printer is much faster than my previous printer so I am pleased with that.
As I have experienced before with Canon products the software provided is very comprehensive and I have only scratched the surface at the moment doing simple prints. I am now looking forward to being more creative. I am really pleased with the printer - it is superb quality at a very, very reasonable price.

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good - brand quality & simplicity, 6 Oct. 2008
DMC (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
For those of you who are seeking a product that will 'just work' / is great VFM / relatively quiet / easy to set up = for a domestic machine look no further. Seriously.

Being a Mac user (and working for Apple) I've come to expect the obvious rewards of looking for Quality, Simplicity, VFM, Ease of use etc etc = Having had an Epson Stylus Photo 950 for years, then doing the tempting exercise of cutting corners and using non standard inks (at upwards of £11/cartridge for genuine inks & £60 for the set) and eventually descending into a farce of thinking it would work as well - sorry to say the heads clogged and I stopped using the printer - you could say: "your own fault", I would agree...

Then having bought one of the Canon Selphy 'Dye Sub' machines a couple of years ago (mainly 4x6 snaps) and realising the incredible quality at this level, and recently trying to resurrect the Epson after cleaning the heads myself and again trying to get it going with Jet Tec ink, to no avail - and pretty much wasting £21 on a full set of their inks (permanent gaps appeared) - I thought to myself it's time for a replacement.

Having read the (mostly) glowing review for the ip4500 I noticed this one had not long emerged...so bought it I did!

The box arrived wrapped in plastic, no dents, perfect.

Thank God Canon are listening to their feedback as the instructions were super easy to decipher - bear in mind I started unwrapping this thing at just before midnight.

Within 30 - 40 minutes I had installed the print head (GENIUS CHOICE OF DESIGN = why replace the whole printer if the head has worn out...?), All the inks, in the correct order, etc = (it pays to be ultra careful with the above items as it does say on more than one sheet not to knock the print head and don't force it in - be careful here), and after the initial noises etc, and simply installing the drivers I was up and running.

So far I've done mainly 4x6 tests, on the highest quality on varying papers - HP and Fuji among them, I have to say I'm really pleased SO FAR ! A bit of advice here - it's advisable not to use paper below 170GSM for prints as the paper just can't handle the optimum quality but if you want to test out on cheaper paper, then use the plain paper setting.

Software has a nice interface and there are various tweaks you can play around with. Printing out of iPhoto is straightforwards.

Plain paper printing so far looks very impressive too - the reason I bought the printer is mainly for Photo Quality

Why 4 stars? = early days yet AND I've had a couple of instances of the odd scratch over the surface of paper - I'll persevere and if it becomes serious = = HELLO CANON SUPPORT!

Overall VERY satisfied!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rip Off Ink Costs for the Canon 4600, 16 Dec. 2008

However most reviewers completely missed that the ink cartridges for the 4600 are completely different to 4500? The 4500 uses 13ml capacity cartridges, but the new model uses 9ml versions - that's 31% less!!!
Even the large capacity text black is down from 26ml to 19ml (27% less)

That makes for a big increase in running costs for the new 4600 machine.

Canon have generously reduced the RRP of the much smaller cartridge by 30p (2.6%) & presumably hoped no one would notice. So we consumers continue to pay through the nose.

The failure to expose such practices enables manufacturers to continue to get away with such shabby tricks.

I'm off to see if there are any of the old 4500's still available.

Mike - Devon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this printer, 18 Nov. 2008
I was looking to replace my Dell printer as it was not compatible with my new mac computer. This Canon was highlighted as a good deal on Amazon - I ordered it and it arrived by return. It was beautifully presented, easy to set up and had the added advantage for me of been compatible with the Canon Image Gateway which I use for my camera. I am pleased with the quality - all that remains to be seen is what it costs on consumables.
Based on my experience so far this is the one to go for if you don't want an 'all-in-one' printer fax copier etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...as it says on the box!, 16 Dec. 2008
Black Grouse (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Canon PIXMA iP4600 Printer
This printer pleased me from the moment I opened the box, it looked good, was well documented and the software was easy to install.
The print head could easily be damaged by a ham fisted user but Canon provided enough warnings to suitably frighten most of us into being very careful.
Print head allignment was straight forward and gave you time to make a cup of coffee while it happily chugged away.
Print quality is very good with both photos and documents.
PictBridge capability provides hassle free photo printing if needed.
Keeping the printer supplied with ink will be a tad more expensive than I have been used to but I shall follow my golden rule to stick to the manufacturers cartridges.
For the average domestic user this printer is difficult to fault and the price is right!
A minor down side, I felt the plastic trays, doors etc were a little frail but in fairness I have found that modern plastics are surprisingly robust.

Canon PIXMA iP4600 Printer