on 19 January 2010
My two-year-old MacBook Pro still runs fast and has a great screen, but the battery life was becoming ridiculous. I couldn't work on it for longer than an hour - an HOUR - away from the mains recently, and realised this was just absurd. A not very mobile laptop. And imagine my distaste, after having shelled out for a very decent computer, that a replacement battery would cost £100.

Finding this OEM version of the battery was a godsend. Believe me, it looks absolutely identical to the official Apple battery that costs twice as much. The only difference is the absence of an Apple label. Otherwise, this is the real deal - it fits in perfectly, has the same LED battery level indicators (never saw the point of them, being on the underside, but there you go), and once installed we're back to almost 4 hours of battery life. Like the good old days, when you first bought the laptop.

Battery technology *really* needs to change, but in the meantime I'm really grateful that this product exists. Absolutely recommend this product, and delivery was pretty quick too, without environmentally unfriendly overly fancy packaging. Bargain.
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2010
I was very glad to find this battery on Amazon after seeing the price of the genuine Apple part. It came within a couple of days and fitted just as well as the old one. Time will tell as to whether it performs as well as the genuine Apple part. It is made in China, so is probably exactly the same as the ones that are shipped from Hong Kong by a certain company with multiple websites and a lot of disgruntled customers. However I felt a lot more comfortable ordering it from an Amazon partner.

August 2012: Well, it's now two years later and I'm down to little more than an hour's use between charges.
on 27 July 2010
On first inspection the battery looks the part virtually identical to the original Apple battery including the 5 green LED's on the back, the aluminum back plate is actually thicker than my original battery (still sits flush though) which is probaly a good thing as heat will probably be dissipated better(my macbook gets hot enough to fry an egg!)

For those of you that are pedantic (me) the silver is a shade or two out from the original, but who's gonna see the battery underneath right?

Once charged the battery seems to perform as good as the original, the LED's on the back work just as the original did, and battery life is as good as it was from new....although I never get 4 hours out of a fully charged battery more like 2.5 but it depends on how you used the laptop, if you reduce the screen brightness, use aiport/bluetooth etc and also depending on what apps your using too.

Overall for half the price of the genuine Apple replacement I can't fault it, and after hearing reports of other non-gen batteries being a bit hit and miss (LED's not working + poor life) I would definitely recommend.
on 26 March 2012
The last time I got a new battery for my Macbook Pro on the web, what arrived was a decidedly pre-loved casing fitted with allegedly "new" cells that lasted less than a year, despite careful use. It also cost about 50% more than this excellent product, which comes brand new, factory-fresh and very competitively priced. Factory packaging is tight and solid -- so much so that it took me a couple of minutes to extricate the battery from its carton.

The only down-side is the largely incomprehensible instruction leaflet, couched in an absurd Monty Python-style Chinglish that could create problems for anyone unfamiliar with basic battery discipline, putting battery life-expectancy at risk. It seems a pity that the distributors have not picked this up, as it really needs a rewrite job at the factory end.
on 18 November 2010
Awful service. Stay away! Battery took ages to arrive and only lasted 2 charge cycles! It's £50 of useless metal. No replies to my e-mails from seller either. Let's hope amazon will help with the dispute...
on 27 May 2010
In the past I've bought two replacement batteries for my 15" MacBook Pro. Both have been cheap replacements and have shipped from Hong Kong. They have taken weeks to arrive.

This battery, on the other hand is a completely different proposition. Immediately it's clear the build quality is far better than those I've bought in the past. The downward facing outside cover seems to be 3/4mm aluminium sheet, far thicker than alternative batteries on the market. It has a more solid feel and will not therefore split apart and spill its guts out like the last two did. The last time this happened the battery was permanently damaged and would not take a charge due to the internal wiring shearing off.

So initial reactions are favourable. Arrived within two days via UK Royal Mail. Well packaged. A solid battery, well constructed, I can only hope that that it lasts far longer than my two previous non Apple spares did. Recommended.
on 3 October 2010
This battery is fine and I have had no problems with it at all, it is very easy to fit, seems good quality, the silver finish does not quite match, but neither did the finish of the original apple battery. I have not run it down completely yet, but at the moment it seems as good as the original battery. Quite honestly it is difficult writing an interesting review, because it all works fine, so no dramas to express.
on 19 April 2011
The old battery, in the traditional Mac fashion, failed after a while (3 years old). Mac official batteries are very expensive despite being a known hardware failing of Apple across the industry. Therefore bought this battery and it was worked perfectly ever since (two month ago). With multiple standard (non-high-intensitive) programmes open, the battery lasts 5+ hours. Unfortunately reading reviews from lots of websites would indicate any battery which uses Apple's technology fails quickly so I hope this doesn't!

Lastly, we are not tempting fate by letting the laptop to drain completely as the instructions warn against it and the last OEM official battery bust after this happened a couple of times. Obviously it shouldn't happen but across the internet people find this a regular occurrence with Macs.
on 5 October 2011
This battery is not a genuine apple battery, but it fits well. I bought it as a replacement for four year old macbook pro - I didn't want to throw too much money at it. The cover is silver plastic rather than aluminium as on the original so it sticks out about 1mm underneath. If that bothers you, pay three times the price to get a genuine one. I'm happy with this, it holds charge well and charges well - it does the job - what more do you want? At this price, it's a bargain.
on 22 November 2011
Whilst the battery is clearly not a genuine Apple part, after receiving the product and moaning, they replaced it by post at no cost to me within a few days - I was thoroughly impressed with their customer service and the replacement seems to work fine. Given that it is so cheap in comparison to the genuine part, I think it is perfectly acceptable that it doesn't look identical. Functionally, it works, and that's enough for me!

See one answered question