Top critical review
15 people found this helpful
Great quality black text - but poor colour and expensive consumables.
on 15 November 2009
Bought this printer to replace a Samsung CLP-300 (which was failing to pick up paper correctly and had gone through two replacement imaging units, although its output quality when it worked was very good for the price). Chose the Canon 5050n over the HP equivalent (wouldn't have a Samsung again) because it's smaller and quieter.
- small and quiet, and as nice looking as a laser printer can be
- great quality black text output
But sadly, cons:
- unbelievably expensive consumables, because they include not just toner but the whole imaging assembly for the relevant colour
- truly appalling colour reproduction, way too dark (you can adjust the toner density but if your page includes text and photos on the same page, that doesn't really work as the text then looks awful
- utility doesn't show toner levels (shows all colours as maximum until they run out) - have tested on Mac 10.5.x and Windows XP with the same result
- raised the latter two issues with Canon customer service but they didn't really seem to understand the questions let alone provide sensible answers
In summary, I don't hate it - text quality is great (and that's 80% of what we print) and it's small and quiet. That said, I'd struggle to recommend it.