on 15 November 2009
Bought this printer to replace a Samsung CLP-300 (which was failing to pick up paper correctly and had gone through two replacement imaging units, although its output quality when it worked was very good for the price). Chose the Canon 5050n over the HP equivalent (wouldn't have a Samsung again) because it's smaller and quieter.

So, pros:
- small and quiet, and as nice looking as a laser printer can be
- great quality black text output

But sadly, cons:
- unbelievably expensive consumables, because they include not just toner but the whole imaging assembly for the relevant colour
- truly appalling colour reproduction, way too dark (you can adjust the toner density but if your page includes text and photos on the same page, that doesn't really work as the text then looks awful
- utility doesn't show toner levels (shows all colours as maximum until they run out) - have tested on Mac 10.5.x and Windows XP with the same result
- raised the latter two issues with Canon customer service but they didn't really seem to understand the questions let alone provide sensible answers

In summary, I don't hate it - text quality is great (and that's 80% of what we print) and it's small and quiet. That said, I'd struggle to recommend it.
on 9 June 2011
This should be a good printer, but if you're thinking of using it on a network with a Mac, forget it.

1. There are no Mac instructions in the manual
2. It doesn't come with a Mac driver
3. You can download the Mac driver from the Canon website but ...
4. You apparently need something called a Netspot device installer too and ...
5. That isn't yet available for Mac OSX 10.6.7

Apple are due to release OSX 10.8 (OSX Lion) next month (July '11). So even if Canon do release Netspot for 10.6.7, it will immediately be out of date anyway.

A call to Canon tech support won't help much. The surly, rather impatient man I spoke to identified the problem and said there was nothing that could be done. When I asked when the new Netspot version was due out, his response was that he just worked in technical support, so that was nothing to do with him.

To cap it all, I'd agreed just before I was connected to the support desk to take part in an automated customer survey once my call had been dealt with. But I was never connected to the survey.

I can find no customer care number on the Canon site.

How on earth do they get away with such poor service? Once you've paid your money, you're left with a product you can't use and a feeling of utter helplessness.
on 11 October 2009
I have a LBP5100 colour printer. I have had it a year and with heavy home use there is no sign of the ink running out. I Bought the 5050n for my Mum. It is very similiar to the 5100 except that it is smaller (approx half the size). If teh ink lasts as long in this one then it is a great printer. I don't know why anyone would buy a Inkjet anymore. Printing is fast and so far neither printer has ever jammed.
on 23 February 2012
The Canon LBP5050N is quite simply the worst printer I have ever owned or used, and there have been a lot. If I could charge Canon at my charge-out rate for all the time I have spent persuading it to work I wouldn't need to work for the customers any more.
It continually refuses to print, claiming to be either out of paper (which it isn't) or paper-jammed (which it isn't either) or that the case is open (again it isn't).
Sometimes it will work if I open and shut the covers, but most usually I have to cycle the power off and on to get it to go. I have to do this for every print job - sometimes for every page. Sometimes nothing works and I have to give up and try later.
Unfortunately, early on I thought the problem was lack of toner, so I bought a new set, which cost more than the printer did originally. So I have some investment in the thing. This is basically what stops me smashing it to pieces. I could change my mind.
on 19 October 2014
Cheap to buy, expensive to run, and ultimately impossible to get working.

It started well enough, until the low-capacity test cartridges ran out. Since then, it says I've printed 5300 pages in the 4 years I've had it; and I'd estimate about half of those are misprinted repeats whilst trying to get it to perform the most basic job of printing a standard document. Endless false jams, toner "run out" complaints, and massively overpriced consumables.

It's seemingly a piece of crap. Can anybody recommend a worthwhile alternative?
on 27 July 2015
Terrible printer. It falsly tells you it's run out of toner all the time, and the toner is EXPENSIVE (funny that). I fugured out if you turn it off and turn in on again it suddenly has toner again and prints. After spending hundreds on replacing toner I've managed to get it to actually print a decent yeild from a cartridge, but I have to keep repeatedly turning it off/on.

Also has a nice sticker saying "quick first print" which is true, but you might as well go and make a cup of tea while you wait for the second.
on 3 December 2012
I agree with the previous reviewer about the difficulty in getting it to print- I have had exactly the same problems (machine says there's no paper when there is, says there's a blockage when there isn't, the need to switch off and on again to get it to (sometimes) work). I don't expect the cheapest consumables in the world - I'd settle for a printer that works, occasionally, without my physical involvement, other than clicking a print icon.

Canon should be truly ashamed of this product imho.
on 17 May 2014
I have had 2 of these printer before. I find them small in footprint, ideal for office with limited space. When they are working there is nothing better but I have had pleanty of issues especially when replacement toners do not register. The last one I threw out in frustration..never the less I bought another. I suppose that show I really do like them
on 5 November 2010
I am delighted with this printer. It is both quick and produces good quality results. I am not, however, looking forward to the cost of replacing the toner!
on 24 July 2012
This is one of the worst printers I've ever used! Never works. You always have to keep changing the paper input - comes with test ink so you have to buy more all round rotter.