4.6 out of 5 stars1,363
Colour: Midnight Blue|Change

on 9 November 2009
This is the first time I've ever written a review about something I have bought, but this Stainless King is worth the effort to do so.

I was looking for a small, compact but effective food flask for the forthcoming winter months in order to allow me to warm up during work and break the monotony of the sandwiches and salads. After looking at the reviews on here I decided that despite the slightly higher price tag than I had originally thought of paying, the 'you get what you pay for' mantra would be very relevant when I was sitting there with cold soup.. NOT what I was hoping to achieve!

So I made a decision and parted with my money... and boy am I pleased I did!!

First outing today and after warming the flask as recommended with boiling water for 10 minutes, my bubbling hot tin of Spaghetti Bolognese (from a well known pickle manufacturer) went in and the lid was firmly screwed in to place at 7.15am and the anticipation started.

1pm arrives and I sat down with my work colleagues and plonked the flask down on the dinner table and with confidence unscrewed the lid, to be met with steam..that's right ..'steam'. I tucked in, straight from the flask and unbelievably it was actually red hot, and in some parts was 'almost' too hot to eat. Needless to say, some flask envy ensued.

The other great thing about the flask is the size of the opening. It's easy to fill, eat straight from and to clean... it's all good.

So if you are looking for a compact, easy to use and most of all 'effective' food flask... this is the one you want.
99 comments|579 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2015
I have never left a review before but I feel like I now have to! We don't have a microwave at work so I started to get fed up of eating salads in the winter and wanted soup instead. This flask is definitely worth the money & I would highly recommend! I read up on reviews before I bought it as it is more expensive than others flasks, and after following other reviewers recommendations I have just finished my soup and it was still hot! I put boiling water in the flask to warm up for just over 10 mins before work and warmed my soup up more than I would if I was going to eat it straight away (7am) almost 6 hours later the soup was still hot and I actually had to keep stirring to cool it down! A definite must buy.
on 6 August 2013
Good bit of gear I haven't really tried it over a long time but over 2-3 hours it keeps my soup or haggis warm and warm haggis by the river on a cold morning is one of my joys in life.
22 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2014
This food flask is simply amazing and saves me so much money!

I bought this food flask before starting university as a way for me to save money. Being on a student budget, I find it difficult to find a nice, filling yet healthy lunch which I can buy on campus - and if there are healthy options available they are very over priced. This food flask is the perfect solution for me! I now take home-cooked, healthy food to university every day!

I had read the previous reviews and it seemed to be a good product, so I bought it with fairly high hopes. After the first day of using it I was surprised as to how well the flask kept my food hot. I now take this food flask with me to university every day and have used it for nearly every type of food: curry and rice, pasta bake, lasagne, stir fry, soup, etc. Even quite dry dishes such as lasagne are kept warm (you should add a little boiling water to dry foods to keep them moist and to stop them from drying out in the flask - and this keeps the food warmer for longer)

Before I go to university I fill my flask with boiling water and 10 mins later I empty out the water and fill the flask with my microwave warmed food. I find this is enough time for the inside of the flask to be heated by the boiling water so that your food stays warmer for longer.

On some days, when I have been in a rush, I have filled my flask with microwave warmed food without having pre-heated it with boiling water and when I have come to eat my food at lunch time the food was warm but not hot, so I recommend that you take the extra time to pre-heat it in the morning. (I fill my flask with boiling water before having my breakfast and then empty it after I have finished eating)

I fill my food flask in the morning at around 8am and when I come to eat my lunch between 12-1pm my food is almost always hot (sometimes too hot and I have to leave the lid off for a few minutes for it to cool down!) I even sometimes forget to eat my lunch if I am very busy and eat my food on the way home (4/5pm) and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised to find my food is still quite warm.

My food flask has never leaked and the seal on the lid is very good (I do not close my food flask too tightly as it is sometimes very hard to open after being left for a few hours). The size of the flask is also quite good - I can fit a large bowl of food into the flask.

I have not yet used the flask to store cold foods or liquids but I am sure it would be just as good or even better and would be a great idea to use as a way to cool down on hot summer days (if I am so lucky, here in the north!)

When I come home from university I put my food flask to soak in hot water for 30 mins and then it is very easy to clean. It is not a good idea to leave left over food in the flask for a long time as it becomes smelly and less easy to clean.

The flask comes with a metal spoon which fits in the lid and it is quite noisy against the inside of the flask when you are trying to get the last bits of food out of the bottom. I am sometimes forced to leave a little food in the bottom of the flask if I am eating in a quiet area, however, most of the time the noise is not too much of a problem and I still choose to use the spoon provided. If you eat lunch in a quiet area and do not want to make too much noise when finishing your food, I would suggest buying a small plastic spoon to eat with.

I love this food flask so much that I am buying another, so that I can take two hot meals to university for those long, tiring days!

I give it 5 stars!
0Comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2015
Did not keep food warm after first use. I can only put this down the the cheap plastic mechanism used to seal the lid.
on 30 November 2012
I bought 1 of these and was impressed so bought another. I also bought a third flask of a different model - more on that later.

Now, 3 months on, both of this model have the same issues:

- the outer lid has seperated from the inner lid (rubbish glue)
- the blue paint is chipping - looks disgusting
- the seal on the lid is too strong - if you close it reasonably tight, when the air contracts, it makes openiung the lid impossible for a child.

The third flask I bought was the Thermax one (also by Thermos - will show up if you search for thermos flask) - same capacity and roughtly the same price +/- £1.00 and also has a folding spoon. This has had the same use and suffers none of the above. Lid closes and opens with ease.
on 8 December 2008
I bought this food flask a couple of weeks ago and have used it every day since. It is just the right size for tins of big soup, tins of spaghetti, stews etc. It keeps everything piping hot for hours. There is a telescopic spoon in the lid which is perfect. It even stayed intact when it fell out of my bag and down the whole length of a coach and down the stairs to the door!!! I am even going to buy another flask for my husband as it is perfect for these cold winter days.

Definately a 5 out of 5! Sandra
0Comment|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2014
Bought this cos our boss at work has confiscated our microwave and I'm getting sick of sandwiches and salads. I've only used it twice so far. Stayed warm enough to eat but not piping hot till about lunch time so from filling it at 6am ish till 12:30. This will do me. I don't think it would last till my evening break though.
on 2 November 2014
Great when it works, it kept my noodle soups hot for up to 7 hours however it only did that for approximately 6 weeks, then one day the soup was luke warm then the next day it was cold. You could feel the sides getting hot so it had lost it's insulating properties. Amazon were great though they sent a courier to collect the faulty one and sent a replacement, will update later if the stops working again.
on 22 January 2014
Great product. Nicely made, robust. Does what it says - i fill it at 06:30 and the food is still piping got at 12:30 when i have lunch.

Couple of things though to those who say it doesnt work

(1) make sure you "prime" it with boiling water first for at least five mins.
(2) make sure you dont let the food contents touch the inside of the black plastic screw cap (ie, dont overfill)
(3) make sure you keep it upright, ie, dont let the food touch the lid.

A small amount of heat dissipates through the plastic lid, and this is normal, BUT if you dont follow the above your food will not retain its heat. Simples.