5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!
This is the first time I've ever written a review about something I have bought, but this Stainless King is worth the effort to do so.

Published on 9 Nov 2009 by Mr. Mark Cunningham

3.0 out of 5 stars Too cool
Good idea. However, you must ore heat with boiling water for 15 mins and the food must be piping hot if it is still to be hot 5 hrs later
Published 23 months ago by Mr Neil Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 9 Nov 2009
Mr. Mark Cunningham (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thermos Stainless King Food Flask 0.47L Blue (Kitchen & Home)

I was looking for a small, compact but effective food flask for the forthcoming winter months in order to allow me to warm up during work and break the monotony of the sandwiches and salads. After looking at the reviews on here I decided that despite the slightly higher price tag than I had originally thought of paying, the 'you get what you pay for' mantra would be very relevant when I was sitting there with cold soup.. NOT what I was hoping to achieve!

So I made a decision and parted with my money... and boy am I pleased I did!!

First outing today and after warming the flask as recommended with boiling water for 10 minutes, my bubbling hot tin of Spaghetti Bolognese (from a well known pickle manufacturer) went in and the lid was firmly screwed in to place at 7.15am and the anticipation started.

1pm arrives and I sat down with my work colleagues and plonked the flask down on the dinner table and with confidence unscrewed the lid, to be met with steam..that's right ..'steam'. I tucked in, straight from the flask and unbelievably it was actually red hot, and in some parts was 'almost' too hot to eat. Needless to say, some flask envy ensued.

The other great thing about the flask is the size of the opening. It's easy to fill, eat straight from and to clean... it's all good.

So if you are looking for a compact, easy to use and most of all 'effective' food flask... this is the one you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars works, 6 Aug 2013
James Maclean - See all my reviews
Good bit of gear I haven't really tried it over a long time but over 2-3 hours it keeps my soup or haggis warm and warm haggis by the river on a cold morning is one of my joys in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic product, 8 Dec 2008
Mrs. S. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this food flask a couple of weeks ago and have used it every day since. It is just the right size for tins of big soup, tins of spaghetti, stews etc. It keeps everything piping hot for hours. There is a telescopic spoon in the lid which is perfect. It even stayed intact when it fell out of my bag and down the whole length of a coach and down the stairs to the door!!! I am even going to buy another flask for my husband as it is perfect for these cold winter days.

Definately a 5 out of 5! Sandra

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For A Healthy Eating University Student!, 5 Jan 2014
This food flask is simply amazing and saves me so much money!

I bought this food flask before starting university as a way for me to save money. Being on a student budget, I find it difficult to find a nice, filling yet healthy lunch which I can buy on campus - and if there are healthy options available they are very over priced. This food flask is the perfect solution for me! I now take home-cooked, healthy food to university every day!

I had read the previous reviews and it seemed to be a good product, so I bought it with fairly high hopes. After the first day of using it I was surprised as to how well the flask kept my food hot. I now take this food flask with me to university every day and have used it for nearly every type of food: curry and rice, pasta bake, lasagne, stir fry, soup, etc. Even quite dry dishes such as lasagne are kept warm (you should add a little boiling water to dry foods to keep them moist and to stop them from drying out in the flask - and this keeps the food warmer for longer)

Before I go to university I fill my flask with boiling water and 10 mins later I empty out the water and fill the flask with my microwave warmed food. I find this is enough time for the inside of the flask to be heated by the boiling water so that your food stays warmer for longer.

On some days, when I have been in a rush, I have filled my flask with microwave warmed food without having pre-heated it with boiling water and when I have come to eat my food at lunch time the food was warm but not hot, so I recommend that you take the extra time to pre-heat it in the morning. (I fill my flask with boiling water before having my breakfast and then empty it after I have finished eating)

I fill my food flask in the morning at around 8am and when I come to eat my lunch between 12-1pm my food is almost always hot (sometimes too hot and I have to leave the lid off for a few minutes for it to cool down!) I even sometimes forget to eat my lunch if I am very busy and eat my food on the way home (4/5pm) and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised to find my food is still quite warm.

My food flask has never leaked and the seal on the lid is very good (I do not close my food flask too tightly as it is sometimes very hard to open after being left for a few hours). The size of the flask is also quite good - I can fit a large bowl of food into the flask.

I have not yet used the flask to store cold foods or liquids but I am sure it would be just as good or even better and would be a great idea to use as a way to cool down on hot summer days (if I am so lucky, here in the north!)

When I come home from university I put my food flask to soak in hot water for 30 mins and then it is very easy to clean. It is not a good idea to leave left over food in the flask for a long time as it becomes smelly and less easy to clean.

The flask comes with a metal spoon which fits in the lid and it is quite noisy against the inside of the flask when you are trying to get the last bits of food out of the bottom. I am sometimes forced to leave a little food in the bottom of the flask if I am eating in a quiet area, however, most of the time the noise is not too much of a problem and I still choose to use the spoon provided. If you eat lunch in a quiet area and do not want to make too much noise when finishing your food, I would suggest buying a small plastic spoon to eat with.

I love this food flask so much that I am buying another, so that I can take two hot meals to university for those long, tiring days!

I give it 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect.... I know it's just a flask, but... I LOVE it!, 14 Sep 2011
Indolent (Ohio, USA/London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a couple of these last year for me and my husband so that I can pack soup for us to take to work for lunch. I'd previously bought another product that didn't keep the soup hot and leaked all over the place, so was looking around for something from a more reliable manufacturer that would also meet my requirement of being able to fit in the available space in our lunch bags, with a lid that doubles as a bowl to eat from. We have a couple of Obentec "Laptop Lunch" kits and there's just enough room in the carrying case to squeeze in a thermos flask if you can find one of the right size... and after much searching, the Stainless King was it!

First of all, I love the appearance of these. They're really nice, a very dark purplish-blue color stainless steel, with silver-colored outer lid/bowl. The inner lid screws on VERY tightly, preventing any of the leaking problems I had with the previous (off-brand) thermoses I bought, and also has a clever little telescoping spoon that clips into it. I've never actually used my spoon, but it's nice to know that it's there!

The jar keeps food PIPING hot for hours - I fill mine at around 7am, and when I open it at around 1pm, a ton of steam escapes and the food is still very hot. I will usually boil a kettle, fill the jars with boiling water and close the inner lids tightly to warm the jars up while I heat the soup (or whatever we're eating that day), then quickly discard the boiling water and replace it with soup (etc) and put the lid back on tightly so as not to let any heat escape. Works like a charm.

The other great thing about these is that they are EXACTLY the right size to hold a can of soup, if you're going for the shop-bought option rather than making your own.

Really, really pleased with this purchase - sometimes little, everyday things can make you very happy, and these little flasks have done just that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 17 Jun 2013
Bought a cheaper one, which kept stuff warm for about 2 hours, if that. This Thermos really does keep food warm for 6 or 7 hours but only if you follow instructions to fill with boiling water for at least 5 mins before putting hot food in. Great spoon too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too cool, 3 Dec 2012
Mr Neil Brooks (Cupar, Fife United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Functional but not durable, 30 Nov 2012
Prem Desai (London) - See all my reviews
I bought 1 of these and was impressed so bought another. I also bought a third flask of a different model - more on that later.

Now, 3 months on, both of this model have the same issues:

- the outer lid has seperated from the inner lid (rubbish glue)
- the blue paint is chipping - looks disgusting
- the seal on the lid is too strong - if you close it reasonably tight, when the air contracts, it makes openiung the lid impossible for a child.

The third flask I bought was the Thermax one (also by Thermos - will show up if you search for thermos flask) - same capacity and roughtly the same price +/- £1.00 and also has a folding spoon. This has had the same use and suffers none of the above. Lid closes and opens with ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a working lunch, 25 Feb 2010
A. Allsopp (West London) - See all my reviews
I read other reviews which varied between excellent and awful, so buying was a gamble.
This thermos works beautifully if you follow the rules. Fill it with boiling water for 10 minutes before putting the food in. Anything liquid stays piping hot, there is a dimishing curve the more solid the food, but I had no problem with curry and rice! Generally, if you can superheat your leftovers in the microwave it works better. I packed food at 6 to eat at 12.30, if anything more solid food is slightly cooler at the top (where the lid is).
I bought this because we do not have a microwave in my new workplace and it's been invaluable. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy about this Thermos - took quite a bit of ..., 2 Sep 2014
I am very happy about this Thermos - took quite a bit of research to find the right one, but it was worth it. Provided you heat it with boiling water in the morning before pouring your food in, it will keep it hot until lunch. I've found that the most liquid the food is (soup, chowder...), the more this thermos keeps it warm for long. On the other hand pasta without a thick sauce, or steamed vegetables will cool a lot quicker and might be barely warm at lunchtime. But I use it mainly in the Fall or Winter so soups, ratatouille and all sorts of dishes with some warm sauce in them will be kept hot for at least 6 hours.