5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!
This is the first time I've ever written a review about something I have bought, but this Stainless King is worth the effort to do so.

Published on 9 Nov 2009 by Mr. Mark Cunningham

3.0 out of 5 stars Too cool
Good idea. However, you must ore heat with boiling water for 15 mins and the food must be piping hot if it is still to be hot 5 hrs later
Published 20 months ago by Mr Neil Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 9 Nov 2009
Mr. Mark Cunningham (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thermos Stainless King Food Flask 0.47L Blue (Kitchen & Home)

I was looking for a small, compact but effective food flask for the forthcoming winter months in order to allow me to warm up during work and break the monotony of the sandwiches and salads. After looking at the reviews on here I decided that despite the slightly higher price tag than I had originally thought of paying, the 'you get what you pay for' mantra would be very relevant when I was sitting there with cold soup.. NOT what I was hoping to achieve!

So I made a decision and parted with my money... and boy am I pleased I did!!

First outing today and after warming the flask as recommended with boiling water for 10 minutes, my bubbling hot tin of Spaghetti Bolognese (from a well known pickle manufacturer) went in and the lid was firmly screwed in to place at 7.15am and the anticipation started.

1pm arrives and I sat down with my work colleagues and plonked the flask down on the dinner table and with confidence unscrewed the lid, to be met with steam..that's right ..'steam'. I tucked in, straight from the flask and unbelievably it was actually red hot, and in some parts was 'almost' too hot to eat. Needless to say, some flask envy ensued.

The other great thing about the flask is the size of the opening. It's easy to fill, eat straight from and to clean... it's all good.

So if you are looking for a compact, easy to use and most of all 'effective' food flask... this is the one you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For A Healthy Eating University Student!, 5 Jan 2014
This food flask is simply amazing and saves me so much money!

I bought this food flask before starting university as a way for me to save money. Being on a student budget, I find it difficult to find a nice, filling yet healthy lunch which I can buy on campus - and if there are healthy options available they are very over priced. This food flask is the perfect solution for me! I now take home-cooked, healthy food to university every day!

I had read the previous reviews and it seemed to be a good product, so I bought it with fairly high hopes. After the first day of using it I was surprised as to how well the flask kept my food hot. I now take this food flask with me to university every day and have used it for nearly every type of food: curry and rice, pasta bake, lasagne, stir fry, soup, etc. Even quite dry dishes such as lasagne are kept warm (you should add a little boiling water to dry foods to keep them moist and to stop them from drying out in the flask - and this keeps the food warmer for longer)

Before I go to university I fill my flask with boiling water and 10 mins later I empty out the water and fill the flask with my microwave warmed food. I find this is enough time for the inside of the flask to be heated by the boiling water so that your food stays warmer for longer.

On some days, when I have been in a rush, I have filled my flask with microwave warmed food without having pre-heated it with boiling water and when I have come to eat my food at lunch time the food was warm but not hot, so I recommend that you take the extra time to pre-heat it in the morning. (I fill my flask with boiling water before having my breakfast and then empty it after I have finished eating)

I fill my food flask in the morning at around 8am and when I come to eat my lunch between 12-1pm my food is almost always hot (sometimes too hot and I have to leave the lid off for a few minutes for it to cool down!) I even sometimes forget to eat my lunch if I am very busy and eat my food on the way home (4/5pm) and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised to find my food is still quite warm.

My food flask has never leaked and the seal on the lid is very good (I do not close my food flask too tightly as it is sometimes very hard to open after being left for a few hours). The size of the flask is also quite good - I can fit a large bowl of food into the flask.

I have not yet used the flask to store cold foods or liquids but I am sure it would be just as good or even better and would be a great idea to use as a way to cool down on hot summer days (if I am so lucky, here in the north!)

When I come home from university I put my food flask to soak in hot water for 30 mins and then it is very easy to clean. It is not a good idea to leave left over food in the flask for a long time as it becomes smelly and less easy to clean.

The flask comes with a metal spoon which fits in the lid and it is quite noisy against the inside of the flask when you are trying to get the last bits of food out of the bottom. I am sometimes forced to leave a little food in the bottom of the flask if I am eating in a quiet area, however, most of the time the noise is not too much of a problem and I still choose to use the spoon provided. If you eat lunch in a quiet area and do not want to make too much noise when finishing your food, I would suggest buying a small plastic spoon to eat with.

I love this food flask so much that I am buying another, so that I can take two hot meals to university for those long, tiring days!

I give it 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic product, 8 Dec 2008
Mrs. S. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this food flask a couple of weeks ago and have used it every day since. It is just the right size for tins of big soup, tins of spaghetti, stews etc. It keeps everything piping hot for hours. There is a telescopic spoon in the lid which is perfect. It even stayed intact when it fell out of my bag and down the whole length of a coach and down the stairs to the door!!! I am even going to buy another flask for my husband as it is perfect for these cold winter days.

Definately a 5 out of 5! Sandra

5.0 out of 5 stars works, 6 Aug 2013
James Maclean - See all my reviews
Good bit of gear I haven't really tried it over a long time but over 2-3 hours it keeps my soup or haggis warm and warm haggis by the river on a cold morning is one of my joys in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 17 Jun 2013
Bought a cheaper one, which kept stuff warm for about 2 hours, if that. This Thermos really does keep food warm for 6 or 7 hours but only if you follow instructions to fill with boiling water for at least 5 mins before putting hot food in. Great spoon too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too cool, 3 Dec 2012
Mr Neil Brooks (Cupar, Fife United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as impressed as others!, 29 Nov 2009
I've had one of these flasks for a few weeks now and have not found its performance to match the description although it is acceptable. Generally I have put soup in it at around 07:00, and had it for lunch at around 12:00. I always pre-heat the flask with boiling water, and heat the soup as hot as it will go. I have experimented with varying pre-heat times and heating the soup in the microwave and on the hob.

Thermos claim that it will keep contents hot for 7 hours. After 5 hours the soup is still at a reasonable temperature to enjoy though not piping hot, but I would not leave it to 7 hours. It is perhaps fair to point out I empty the soup out of the flask into a bowl to eat rather than eating directly out of the flask, so this would account for a small amount of heat loss. It is notable that both the stopper and the outer cup/lid get very warm quite soon after filling, so clearly this is the weak point on the flask.

I have since bought a Stanley 0.5l stainless steel "vacuum food jar" and tested it against the Thermos in a boiling water test. The Stanley performs better by a few degrees and is cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for annoying work mates., 16 Jan 2010
Works a treat. Keeps my food hot until lunch but tends to draw some annoyed looks in the tea room from people reading papers.

It doesn't bother me as I'm tucking in, but it does sound like you're learning to play the steel drums when eating directly out of the flask with the metal spoon. I guess I could eat out of the bowl but I'm enjoying the new found attention my toy is bringing me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 18 Aug 2009
Mr. N. Gibbins "NGB" (UK) - See all my reviews
This small flask is just right for a hot drink or hot soup for one person. The seal is excellent (never leaked). My only slight criticism is that the cap could be a little bigger but all-in-all, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 17 Mar 2010
J. Hill (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
I am about to purchase a second flask for my daughter! I cannot understand the reviews stating that it does not keep the food hot??? I fill my flask at 7.30am and eat the contents at 1pm, i have to leave the top off and let it stand for a while to cool down as it is too hot to eat!! I forgot to put it in my bag the other day and didn't get home from work until 5pm, the contents were still hot enough to eat so i had it for tea, that was 9 hours later! I would highly recommend it! P.S Eat it straight from that flask, that's what it was designed for!!