4.0 out of 5 stars An upbeat Fila Production
Already owning the majority of Fila Brazillias back catalogue inlcuding various mix and compilation excursions I purchased this album as soon as it was released on Amazon.
Published on 12 May 2004 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected!
Published 12 months ago by Mr. G. M. Detisi

4.0 out of 5 stars An upbeat Fila Production, 12 May 2004
The previous release - Jump Leads, received mixed reviews from Fila fans mainly due to the fact that they had used vocals (shock horror) on some of their tracks. Had nobody heard their quality remixing of tracks like Radioheads 'Climb up the walls'?. Obviously not. Overall though Jump Leads was a fairly downbeat affair.
The Life and Times of Phoebus Brumal (LTPB) is on the otherhand a more upbeat affair and the starting track kicks off with a beat which rarely drops throughout the album. However, this is Fila Brazillia we are talking about here and the quality of each track is brilliant. Some of the tracks do include vocals so those of you who dissapproved of the vocals used on Jump Leads may want to steer clear of this one.
I do prefer the more downbeat stuff from Fila, but having said that this album provides a funky, uptempo lift if that is what you are looking for.
Keep it up boys!!

4.0 out of 5 stars fila brings it up, 22 Jan 2005
I was surprised to read a few folks did not groove to this new release. Now, if this is the first CD you have ever purchased of Fila, then certainly go buy Maim That Tune and Power Clown, and see what all the hype is about. For any true and longtime fan of Fila, how can you not like this? Sure, it is a little more upbeat than the standard Fila fare, but the tracks are all strong, and well produced. I count one dud on the whole CD, and even that is debatable. Did you check out the screaming guitar on Blowhole? or the heavy bass and drum lead-in on La Boulangerie Digitale? This track simply rocks and rates up with their best. Want something down? try the last track In the Kingdome of Sound. You don't like this? Are you crazy? For all those whining about how this new release is tripe, quit buying new Fila releases and just keep replaying Main, Mess, Black Market...

4.0 out of 5 stars Sparky funky music ... boys back on form, 3 Feb 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I think everyone found the previous release, Jump Leads, a bit TOO smooth for their liking. I have to admit, I'd been snapping up all Fila releases up until that point but just wasn't feeling it.
Seems like Phoebus Brumal is the complete anti-Jump Leads. The slick smooth funk is out the window, to be replaced by some seriously perky upbeat tracks. The mood of the album is similar to the uptempo disc of Brazilification 2.
Plenty of energy and vibrancy in all of the tracks on offer, however I still don't have those special stand out moments as when I'm listening to Maim That Tune, Powerclown or Braziliafication 1, but I'm glad to see that these guys are still firing these albums out AND contantly changing and shifting their sound.
Perhaps not the album to initially start your Fila collection off with, and trust me once you get hooked you will be building that collection, but a worthy return to form after a wee dip.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected!, 28 Oct 2013
I am a die hard Fila fan. The thbing I always loved was there ability to be abstract and eccentric, underground yet fresh and cool. I hate to say it but with this release the mystery has gone. What I didn't like was the commercial bad boy vocals that pisses me off and makes it mainstream. Also the distinct lack of expression by the boys to creating another abstract album of wonderful weirdness. The UK produces the best music on the planet ESPECIALLY music that is ORIGIGINAL and once Fila were, but now they are on top of the pile of most artists who sell out to try and prove that they are diverse.

What was a beautiful love affair between me and that unique sound has ended, but at least I have all of their other amazing albums. Thank god they made those first.

Next time boys KEEP IT UNREAL as Mr Scruff says.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best since Market Gardening, 6 May 2004
I have never been disappointed when it comes to Fila Brazillia albums and this one is not exception.Its alot more up beat from Jump Leads and the quailty of the production is very well done.From beening from electronica to funky house if you have any doubts dont its worth every penny.

1.0 out of 5 stars lazy, 13 Dec 2004
By A Customer
Fila.
Wake up.
This is lame.This doesn't move me.Maybe it's just me
I love these guys but this is horrid, cold and tuneless. What's more it's driven by the same lame 'beat'from conception til death.
'Maim', 'Mess' 'touch of cloth' way superior.