Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2012
What can I say about this album that hasn't been expressed before?
So very little.

Upon the first listen I had troubles digesting this album. So different and such a distinct sound. Post-hardcore isn't exactly my genre, but I heard so many positive comments that I had little choice but to give it a go. Starting from 'Said the King to the River' this album grabbed me by the throat and never let go. The balance between softer and harder passages is done just right. Transitions are flawless. In fact it would be blasphemy to review each song separately, because they flow to and from you as a liquid sea of guiltred, remorse and helplessness.

I can safely say this album's lyrics form THE most eloquently expressed verses that deal with love as a concept. The whole album is a concept album about how heartbreak hits you, tears through you, changes every aspect of life.
Having experienced my share of heartbreak and unrequited love, it seems this album was made for me, and I guess a lot of people feel that way.

What I absolutely love about Somewhere at the Bottom of the River between Vega and Altair is that I discover new subtle elements with each listen. New meanings to verses, little sounds buried under layers, you name it. This is more than an album, this is art.
Don't think about it, just buy it.

Maybe a verse to convince you of La Dispute's lyrical brilliance:

"Forever wait inside the sea for me, my dear
I hear you
You speak in every curling wave
And sing in every violent breeze
Someday not far away from here
My dear, I swear I'll see you
And we will hear the seraphs cry
For they will still envy you and I"
on 14 October 2014
This album is by far one of my favourites of all time, easily in my top 5. The almost prog feel the album has to it is fantastic where all the instruments are doing really interesting things on their own but also come together wonderfully is really amazing. The contrast between the short snappy songs and the longer ones which progress through movements is also really good to listen to. It's one of those albums which listening start to finish just really works and the more you listen to it the more you can hear and appreciate all the different things happening within the songs. And of course, it also contains some of my favourite lyrics. I understand why Jordan's voice isn't for everyone, but personally I think the pain in it really suits and adds to the feel of the music, even if he isn't a conventionally pretty voiced singer. I honestly think La Dispute deserve more credit and a bigger fanbase than they have but if you are a fan and you don't have this album - get it! In my opinion it's by far their best work.
on 19 August 2014
Great album, from a quality band. The album itself comes with a CD and a book of the lyrics. Not a plastic case but instead a nice card one for a change. Overall for £4.99 it's a steal especially with a free digital copy.
on 6 January 2013
This is such a beautiful album. I was recommended to listen to the band by a friend, and I was drawn in by the poetic and broken, emotional sounding vocals. I decided, after countless listenings on Youtube, that it was about time to buy the album, and I am so glad I did.
I would recommend this album to anybody.
on 10 November 2012
An awesome album with some genius guitar playing, contrapuntal drum riffs and intense vocals. This band is one of the best for me in the hardcore genre.