4.0 out of 5 stars Managed Expectations Make This a Good Christmas CD, 10 Oct 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
When I heard Casting Crowns was releasing a Christmas CD, I couldn't wait. I love their music for taking the familiar and making me look at it in a fresh way. So when I got this CD I was a little disappointed with the play list. It is mostly familiar carols. But once I started listening to it, that feeling went away.

Yes, the familiar carols are here and are plentiful. Yet they sound beautiful. There are gorgeous harmonies on "O Come All Ye Faithful." The guitar is fun on "Joy to the World." "Sweet Little Jesus Boy" gets a new melody. With a string background, it sounds like a lullaby. And the instrumental version of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" is absolutely breathtaking. It is written for violin but the interplay between it and the piano (and to a lesser extent the orchestra) is haunting.

Only one song on here is truly new. "Christmas Offering" is a praise song, and I truly enjoy it. I've only heard "God is with Us" recorded one other place, by Amy Grant on the Gloria project. This version doesn't stray far away from the original. In fact, it is sung entirely by one of the female members of the group.

And that brings us to "While You Were Sleeping." When I first heard them sing it on LIFESONG, I thought it sounded like a Christmas song. Apparently, it originally was. The only change here is the second verse. Instead of going to Jerusalem, it focuses on the hardships of Mary and the baby that first night. The song sounds the same. And it includes the third verse that focuses on America. I'm still not a fan of that verse, but I have softened to it some over the years.

But I've saved the best for last. The disc opens with a new melody for "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day," including a new chorus sung by a boy's choir. It really makes the song come alive in a new way.

I wish they had taken the time to write a few more original tracks for this disc. But what is here is certainly enjoyable. I know I will listen to this CD for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 18 Feb 2009
P. J. Faraday (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Peace On Earth
We have sons in their twenties and I felt we should have some more up-to-date Christmas music. This included new songs and more traditional carols to modern settings. I would recommend it, it met all our requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars casting crowns, 8 Feb 2009
I came across the Casting Crowns on AOL Radio one evening and now I am a
fan . Their music is lively and tells a story. I have all their albums and
have put them on my pod for inspiration when I am Running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas joy, 9 April 2010
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
having heard Casting Crowns before I bought this cd as un unknown in some ways....wow...what a joy to play it through the first time....a real mix of styles......and yet even now, 4 months later, I am still playing some of the tracks outside of the Christmas period......oh go on....buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful Christmas CD, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
traditional carols sung with with lovely voices.
Absolute must for people with a liking for the traditional and not the secular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace on Earth, 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
An excellent CD. It was a present for my husband and he loves it. I would recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian songs, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
Bought as a christmas present as requested by my daughter, if it like any of their other CD's it will be worth every penny, really inspirational songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
I buy myself a new Christmas CD most years. I like this one, because it combines known carols and new songs and has a festive feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Album with a difference, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
Great album - have listened to it the last two Christmases. Good mix of old and new songs by a fabulous group. Really like the cover song: "Peace on Earth". Want to buy more of their albums now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas album, 17 Jan 2012
Libby (South East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace on Earth (Audio CD)
Some great new songs for Christmas. High production values and good sound. Some potentially good for corporate worship so looking forward to next Christmas already!

Peace on Earth
Peace on Earth by Casting Crowns (Audio CD - 2008)