4.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated R&B.
Published on 28 Sep 2008 by Music fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing voice, but disappointing album
Published on 2 April 2010 by Jennifer Malsingh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated R&B., 28 Sep 2008
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
There is no denying, Jennifer Hudson has an amazing voice, however it is not a voice best suited to club tracks. Thankfully someone at her label understood this and we have an album perfectly suited to Jennifer's voice and not a clone of something best left to the Pussycat Dolls. The album consists of production from the best of the moment, these being Timbaland, Stargate, T-Pain, Warryn Campbell, The Underdogs, Polow Da Don & Missy Elliott. Due to this, the album is a collection of well sung, well written R&B with just enough modern day spin to make them accessible to the masses.
The album deals with mostly slowed down tracks, none of which however are boring. They are all very engaging due to Jennifer's voice and the lyrics. Some of the stand outs of the slow songs would be Polow Da Don produced 'My Heart' 'Invisible' from the Underdogs and surprisingly the T-Pain duet 'What's Wrong (Go Away)' The best thing about these songs is that although they talk about love, they sound more sincere than most of the other songs out there at the moment and the songs deal with the topic of love from angles that are not usually taken by the average pop song (hence it avoids sounding cliched).
Slow tracks aside, there are some songs which up the tempo a bit, such as lead single 'Spotlight' which is already top 15 on the charts here in the UK, and Timbaland produced 'Pocketbook' which features Ludacris. The interesting thing about this song is that it doesn't quite seem to fit with the rest of the album, leaning very heavily towards the current urban-pop standard. The song isn't bad, it sounds a bit out of place.
One of the most interesting songs on the album is 'Can't Stop The Rain' produced by Stargate and written by Ne-Yo, this song deals with a topic rarely talked about in music today. It's about a friend who gets killed in a car accident because his girlfriend was drunk whilst driving, and dealing with the aftermath of being torn between comforting her and feeling anger at her for what happened. A very interesting song.
To try and give you some idea of what it might sound like, I think the best way to describe this would be Aretha Franklin meets Beyonce. The songs are deeper and more emotional that most of what of out there, you feel something in these songs. A highly recommended record for those who think it's about time something a bit deeper and of better quality came out or for those who want a record that isn't full of club-bangers and want to take it at a slighly slower pace. A very good record, not to be missed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Nov 2008
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
I bought this albulm off the back of really liking the single 'Spotlight'and I was not disappointed. It is a really good albulm with a great mix of songs on it, I don't think there was one that I flicked through. I think that Jennifer Hudson has a brilliant voice and this really shows it off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing voice, but disappointing album, 2 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing "Spotlight" on the radio. If the rest of the album had been like that, I would have been very happy. However, despite Jennifer's amazing voice, I found myself a little disappointed. Apart from "Spotlight", none of the songs seemed that memorable to me. I really wanted to like it more, but it's just that it wasn't that remarkable. Most of the songs are soulful ballads, but they seem to be slightly lacking in the kind of soul that made, for instance, Aretha Franklin's music so brilliant.

Jennifer Hudson is definitely a talent to watch, and I will certainly check out her work in the future. However, this wasn't quite up to the standard I was expecting. I really wanted to give it 4 stars, because she sure can sing and it should be good, but I just don't feel I can stretch to it. It's good, so it get's 3 stars, but it isn't great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic, over the top, but fantastic!, 26 Oct 2008
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
Having watched Dreamgirls time and time again and it having become my favourite all-time film I was destined to buy this new offering from its star-Jennifer Hudson. I already knew that Jennifer was a fantastically talented vocalist, but I did wonder how that would translate into a music album. As it turns out I was wrong to have doubts as this is a brilliant album and in no way sounds like a debut, but instead like the work of a mature and accomplished artist.
1.Spotlight-This was clearly demarkated as the first single with its catchy hook and mid-tempo beat. Great! 9/10
2.If This Isn't Love-A super track, which tends to blend a bit in comparison with some of the other more powerful numbers. 8/10
3.Pocketbook-A fantastic r&b track, which displays a great deal of originality and proves that Jennifer cannot only sing ballads. 9/10
4.Giving Myself-A song purely designed to showcase her amazing vocals. 10/10
5.What's Wrong (Go Away)-Oddly the electro T-Pain and soulful Jennifer work brilliantly together on this track, in which they end up screaming at each other. 9/10
6.My Heart-A more understated and funky song. 8/10
7.You Pulled Me Through-Probably my favourite track here, a powerful and emotive ballad. 10/10
8.I'm His Only Woman-A duet with Fantasia and is over the top, dramatic and hence amazing! 10/10
9.Can't Stop The Rain-A strange track lyrically-good, but not my favourite. 7/10
10.We Gon' Fight-Initially I liked this track, but I've gone off it a bit. 7/10
11.Invisible-OK, but a bit forgettable. 7/10
12.And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going-Wow, what can I say simply stunning. 10/10
13.Jesus Promised Me A Home Over There-Another brilliant showcase of vocal flexibility. 8/10
14.All Dressed In Love-Upbeat, funky and catchy! 9/10

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of good talent !!!, 30 Aug 2010
Jesse CRAIGNOU "Jesse" (NOISY-LE-GRAND, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
Dreamgirl Jennifer Hudson is absent here...

A girl with such a voice should be putting it to good use
and not lower herself to sing such rubbish...

r'n'b, not old school r'n'b, is really the poorest form of music
and anyone with a minimum of music taste would have thought
it hadn't lasted past the one shot... sadly we have been plagued with it for over a decade !

I can only hope she'll come round to her senses and make use of her real talent.

2.0 out of 5 stars waste of talent, 11 Dec 2008
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
Considering I had never heard of this talented woman until I watched Dream girls I was excited at the news of her having an album, I waited and waited and now it is here...... Disappointing is an understatement!
Timberland & others have got their grubby paws all over her and made it in to his trashy pop fodder when Jennifer has much talent she can & should of done so much better. The songs are all quite similar, too pop like, and the main song I noticed Jennifer for in Dream girls was 'one night only' they had a song from the film on the album & they go for what I felt was her weakest song! One night only is amazing song and her album should of been more like this song if it had my review would of been more WOW this album does not focus on her voice it tries to cover it and is such a shame, I hope she does return and make more albums but takes more control next time around, I know these rappers and producers are 'big' names but it don't make them talented and this album more than proves that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive debut with REAL feeling, 7 Dec 2008
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
I waas impressed, I thought, being her debut, it may be too polished for my liking; factory made pop. Suprisingly enough this album is gutsy, has a certain flavour to it. I am impressed Miss Hudson.

1. SPOTLIGHT - leading single, uptempo, catchy melody and beat. 9/10

2. IF THIS ISN'T LOVE - cute love song, makes me think of cater to u by destinys child, nice enough 8/10

3. POCKETBOOK FEATURING LUDACRIS - uptempo gutsy tune. could imagine it being a single... 7/10

4. GIVING MYSELF - i don't really like this, its about being in a relationship, u are ready to sleep with someone, be that open with them. Its not awful, just not my cuppa...3/10

5. WHAT'S WRONG (GO AWAY) FEATURING T-PAIN - ok, sure lots will love it, just drags for me, don't really enjoy jens voice synthesised its too gd for that!6/10
6. MY HEART - ok album filler, like it enough. 8/10

7. YOU PULLED ME THROUGH - again don't listen to this, maybe im just a cold ice queen, its just lil mushy for me 5/10

8. I'M HIS ONLY WOMAN FEATURING FANTASIA - i like this, but I don't like fantasias voice, so only listen to jens bit. 6/10

9. CAN'T STOP THE RAIN - Def one of 2/3 faves, sad song about losing someone u love, written by neyo. I really like it! love it even : ) 10/10

10. WE GON' FIGHT - motivational song, referring to hard times n inspiring confidence in success! 7/10

11. INVISIBLE - i love this song! its about not being crushed by society and expected norms and rising above what can bring u down.10/10

12. AND I'M TELLING YOU I'M NOT GOING - u may already know, cute but powerful from dreamgirls movie. About family bonds/love. 8/10

13. JESUS PROMISED ME A HOME OVER THERE - not my cuppa, but can appreciate this slow ballads thanks to the one above. 6/10

14. ALL DRESSED IN LOVE (BONUS TRACK)- my 3rd fave, love it, its so upbeat, feel good, in the SATC movie, with retro disco feel.

U should go buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is brillant defo worth the wait, 25 Oct 2008
C. Cox "Rachel" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
This album is just so good,jennifer hudson will defo be around for a long time to come,if this album is anything to go by. Here's a review of each track:
Spotlight-10/10 A great choice for the first single
If this is'nt love-10/10 I love this song so much it is wicked, favourite song of mine
Pocketbook feat ludacris-10/10 At first i did'nt know what a pocketbook was, i thought she was referring to something naughty,but i found out it is american for purse.This joint is sick,i love luda's rap. Another favourite track of mine
Giving myself-10/10- This is a lovely ballad,shows off her amazing vocal skills
What's wrong(go away) feat t-pain-10/10 Another great song,their voices contrast really well together,the ending of the song is just wicked.The only problem i have with this song is i feel there is too much vocoder on t-pain's voice
My heart-10/10 This song is just sick,another favourite of mine i could listen to it all day
You pulled me through-10/10 Another great ballad,showing off her fab vocals
I'm his only woman feat fantasia-9/10 The beginning to this song is fab,the only reason i have given this 9/10, because i feel they are screaming instead of singing in some parts
Can't stop the rain-10/10 This song was written by ne-yo, i thought this was going to be on ne-yo's new album which is fantasic by the way the album i mean.Anyways jennifer sounds good on this song
We gon fight-9/10 This song is good not one of my favourites though
Invisible-10/10 This joint is so sick,this is my all time favourite song off the album
And i'm telling you i'm not going-10/10 This song is really good song i wasn't sure about this song at first, brillant vocals at the end
Jesus promised me a home over there-5/10 I don't like this song,because its not normally what i listen to
There are also two great bonus tracks which are:
All dressed in love-10/10 A brillant funky uptempo number
Stand up-10/10 This song sounds like spotlight part 2 but who said that was a bad thing,this song is a great way to close a brillant album

4.0 out of 5 stars Great in parts, bit of a let down in parts but ....., 14 Oct 2008
MJ King "MJK" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
.......... great voice as was shown on American Idol & the hit film Dreamgirls.

Jennifer Hudson has a real 'old school' soul voice but is trying to sell records to modern R'n'B fans.

And I think that's why some people, including me, are a bit disappointed with this CD. Not with the singing or the production but simply the musical genre of some of the songs.

The other pity is (IMO) there is nothing on the album remotely like the hit single "Spotlight"

Here, Jennifer comes on like Aretha Franklin meets Whitney Houston, creating a perfect blend of contemporary soul music that appeals to 'old school' fans (like me) & R'n'B fans like my 11 year old son.

Standout tracks beside the single are:

"I'M HIS ONLY WOMAN FEATURING FANTASIA". Sounds like a modern take on the old STAX classic "Woman to Woman" by Shirley Brown. Fantasia does a nice impression of Patti Labelle whilst Jennifer Hudson simply soars!

"AND I'M TELLING YOU I'M NOT GOING". Jennifer's fantastic version of the original stage play "Dreamgirls" hit sung Jennifer Holliday & also by Jennifer (Hudson) on the film version of the play.

"JESUS PROMISED ME A HOME OVER THERE". Traditional gospel song sang in a traditional gospel style & probably the best track on the album.

These songs all allow Jennifer to show her fantastic vocal range & the raw emotion her voice achieves.

The other songs on the album are mostly modern R'n'B, a bit formulistic but well song & worth a listen but didn't move me.

So an album of parts, possibly appealing to both soul & R'n'B fans & easily worth buying for the songs mentioned above (if you like soul music) or the songs not mentioned if you like modern R'n'B sang to a very high standard.

Either way & very enjoyable record absolutely worth buying!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Change In Direction, 30 Sep 2008
Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD)
I first started following Jennifer Hudson's career when she was on American Idol, and then of course in the excellent film Dreamgirls. There's one thing for sure - she has one heck of a voice! On her debut album, we see her take a change of direction. Now I don't know about you, but I love her big songs - songs that she belts out with buckets full of raw emotion in her soulful uplifting voice.

On her debut album she takes a different direction. There are still a few of those big powerful songs on this album, but mainly the album has more of a modern R&B/Soul sound, which to be honest loses that special something that made her voice stand out in the first place. I would say 6 out of the 16 tracks on this album are fantastic, the rest are pretty average, coming from a singer who could do so much better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer Hudson by Jennifer Hudson (Audio CD - 2008)