5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
This item has been receiving a bit of stick, not sure why. I have bought 2 of these, one from America and one from Britain to compare. It seems this version has some updates, and comes in a nice box with updated instructions.

Published on 12 Jan 2009 by Flinch

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit very well, uncomfortable
The device functions very well, however it is uncomfortable to wear or hook over the ear. That is my view and my childrens view.
Published on 6 Sep 2010 by Jazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Jan 2009
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)

Now to the product. I use mine for CoD 5 and the sound, both being sent and received is crystal clear, and must be the best from any bluetooth headset. It also has nice little features like an on-screen display for battery life and whether mic-mute is on or off.

The headset is light, fits easily over the ear and the hook is adjustable for extra comfort and stability. Although in my experience it doesn't seem to fit in the ear that well, however, it has never fallen off or out.

Battery life is about the same as the controllers (about 6 hours talk time), but re-charging is quick through the supplied stand, which also doubles up as a desktop microphone. I warn you though, in this mode the mic is very sensitive. It heard me talking to my bro about 15 meters away, make sure it is switched off when in the stand.

All in all it looks great and performs amazingly. No regrets buying, and not a bad price. So where's yours?

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect PS3 Headset, 12 April 2009
S. Volz (Stuttgart, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
This Headset really surprised me.

It looks nice but not over the top. The more important thing is functionality (at least to me).
I'm using it with my PS3. It is the only Headset provides you with "visual feedback". That means the PS3 shows you the battery status, rather its muted or not and the volume. So you are always able to see all the info you need on your TV due playing. Very comfortable.

Speech quality is up to perfect and the microphone gets your voice everywhere even with your hair hanging over it. I also tested it with a friend playing Killzone2. You really get the difference between the other players with other headsets. No disturbing noises like breathing or hissing which are a pain in the *** for all the others hearing you speaking (or breathing).

I also tested it with my HTC Smartphone and it works fine with it.

Nothing to complain.

I can absolute recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bluetooth mic so far, 28 Oct 2008
A. GILL "ag55" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
I went to America recently and picked up a few items for almost half the price there, Sony's Official Bluetooth Headset being one of them.

I have owned a few headsets, a logitech vantage USB headset which has been, and still is my favourite mic for online gaming. It is a bit bulky and the long wire isnt pretty but sound quality is good, mic picks up your voice nice and loud, big mute button, and it fits your head just right (can be adjusted too).

The other one i had was the wireless bluetooth version of the vantage USB, called the logitech cordless vantage funnily enough. It had a behind the ear design, boasted a good battery life and easy controls. This was a dissapointment, the controls were a single button which were fidgety, the size wasnt adjustable and it was really loose for me and the quality of sound was average. And recharging was frequent too.

For that reason, i was reluctant buying a bluetooth headset. When i found out about this official one from sony with socom i knew i had to try it. Overall its my best bluetooth mic, and 2nd overall compared to logitech usb. The docking bay is excellent to recharge it when not in use, it fits snugly in your ear with a extra ring if you need it tighter, it can be worn on left/right ear, mute button is big and its a comfy mic. Also, its the only one with a screen status on the ps3 (because its the official one) telling you if your mic is muted or disconnected etc which is helpful.

The only bad thing i had experience with it was even at volume 5, it did have trouble picking up my voice. Probably because the mic has noise reduction from outside sounds, but its just killing itself with it. So i had to speak a little louder than usual to be heard which can be annoying. If Sony could fix this it would be the perfect mic.

Solid 9/10 - would recommend regardless.

P.S IIf you buy the socom bundle, you get the mic and socom game cheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Feb 2009
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
I was bought one of these when they launched as an early Xmas present. I've been using it ever since to play online, and it performs faultlessly.

I haven't had any of the issues some reviewers mention - battery life is great, loudness is fine, I can wear it for a good few hours without discomfort, and I *know* it's picking up my voice clearly because I can often hear myself echoing back from my co-players' TV speakers!

So I don't know whether the other reviewers' issues are due to faulty units, bad net connections or even perhaps bad game servers, but I've already recommended this headset to many people, and everyone whom I know has subsequently bought it is very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headset, 1 Oct 2009
Barry Browne - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
This product is definitely worth the investment. It is sensitive enough to pick up low sounds over a fair distance, but it also small enough that it never gets uncomfortable on the ear. 4 out of 5...

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient Gaming Headset, 18 Nov 2008
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
Happened to grab one of these headsets a while before the standalone EU launch.

Attractive design and convenient application. Audio is clearly reproduced in both directions. This is further evident when using the exclusive PS3 feature of the headset; High Quality mode.

Other Features: Mute button to silent the mic and volume buttons for the ear, on screen display for battery and volume info, charging cradle for open mic usage while charging the device and auto PS3 pairing that requires no Bluetooth USB connector. The headset is universal in the sense that it can be paired with other Bluetooth appliances

Negatives: Not very comfortable; others may have less of a problem with, what would seem like, an oversized ear plug.

The PS3's Audio Device Settings gives the impression that this mic is very quiet; no matter what audio level you pick (1-5) your voice volume seems the same. It's, therefore, hard to tell if it's possible to make your voice louder/quieter. HQ mode also introduces input-voice lag.

The power button is awkward to use while wearing the headset and when the mute button is used, the headset sequentially emits an in-ear beep.

Usage: Make sure to charge the device in the cradle until it's fully charged (blinking red light eventually turns into a solid one). Connect the headset directly to the activated PS3, using a wired USB connection, without the cradle. The green light should flash, thus, indicating successful pairing.

If pairing fails (long red blink), go into Accessory Settings / Manage Bluetooth Devices to delete the PS3 Headset, should it be there, then try to pair again. Mine failed to pair due to it already being listed as a Bluetooth device, until I deleted it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Wireless Headset, 14 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
I was pondering for a long time whether to get the "Giotek" headset or Sony's official one. I finally went the full Monty and decided to purchase this. I have found hardly any flaws in this headset, which are very small and we can all live with. The sound is clear, it's dicscreet and despite many complaints on Amazon, this is fairly comfortable on my ear and I am happy to play for 2+ hours without my ear getting sore.

There are no compromises here and the build quality is sound. It comes with (see image) a handy dock for charging and this doesn't take very long. Within 10 minutes of opening, I charged it for about 20-30 and it was fine for the rest of the evening. I highly recommend charging it for a few hours though to get maximum use. Also please note to turn HQ off when chatting online. Your friends can hardly hear you.

My only gripes are that you cannot charge this thing while the PS3 is on standby, only when it is switched on. Maybe a USB mains adaptor is worth purchasing. Also, the charging cable for this unit is way too short. No worries though, I just use my PS3 controller charging cables or other mini-USB cables lying around the house.
Otherwise, a great purchase. Personally, I wouldn't go with a hit and miss headset like the Giotek, Madcatz or Datel. You don't want to risk it.
Well worth the extra cash

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, But Not Perfect, 18 Jan 2009
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
I was lucky enough to get one of these as a Christmas present and I have to say it's pretty good but could be better.

It comes with a charging stand (shown in the pics), a short USB lead (to charge it with) and a second earpiece ring which looks slightly smaller than the one already fitted to it. Mine also came with thick instruction book in about 20 languages.

Basically you sit it in it's stand and plug it in to one of the USB sockets on your PS3 to charge up, mine took about 3 hours. You can charge it from any USB source the same as you can with the PS3 controllers. I tend to use a cable connected to the USB socket on the back of my Virgin V+ box as that is switched on all the time whereas my PS3 isn't.

Once it's charged, you need to pair it with the console - you can do it just like a standard bluetooth headset but you don't get the added functionality of on screen popups for volume, mute, battery level etc. The "proper" way to do it is gently lift up a tiny little cover on the top of the headset and plug it directly into the console using the supplied lead. For some reason I had to do it twice as the first time it seemed to work but then didn't. I deleted it and re-added it and away I went. My only complaint here is that the cover you need to lift and replace on the headset is tiny and I was scared of breaking it off, still, you only do it once so I guess it's not a major issue.

In use, it's very good - you get an on screen popup showing you the charge level when you switch on (just like for the controllers) and it also shows the volume level when you turn it up or down and mute when you mute it. This is unique to the Sony headset as the support was built into the PS3 firmware from release 2.50 upwards.

Now to probably the most important bit, sound, Unfortunately, this is where it slightly falls down for me. The sound volume in the earpiece is OK but could be louder. Even on top volume, I found it sometimes difficult to hear above even the quiet background noise of my girlfriend in the kitchen next door but that could well be the people I was talking too.

I've read elsewhere about people struggling to be heard using one but everyone said they could hear me clearly so I guess the microphone works well (or I just have a very loud voice!) I did find I had to turn off the HD mode in Little Big Planet as it seemed to create more lag problems in co-op games (although this could be just LBP!)

Fit wise, I do find my ear is slightly sore after long gaming sessions, but it's not uncomfortable even though it goes slightly in the ear.

All in all, a good effort, and if Sony can fix the volume issues with future PS3 firmware updates then it will be pretty much perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Geeky But Excellent, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
Easy to install, charge and operate I decided to pay extra and buy the official headset after reading some bad reviews on the cheaper, non-official headsets out there. Proves the old adage, you get what you pay for. Apart from moaning about battery life (3 hours and it's back to 1 bar from 3) and comfort (a bit heavy and clunky for my ear, could be sleeker), this is a must for any PS3 owner.

All adjustments have helpful 'bleeps' to signal when anything is adjusted (namely volume, mute and whether the wretched thing is off or on) and most appear on the screen. Bearing in mind I am located in London I already have had clear conversations with people from Spain, Trinidad and Michigan, USA. The technology is superb and best of all, free.

Certain games don't work well - MW2 fans will be wincing at just how poor the online mode is. Nobody speaks and then you end up in the lobby with loads of nutcases shouting abuse. SF2 nobody seems to have a headset but Unchartered 2 is a treat. If you're on the same team you can help eachother with warnings and tips, on opposite sides you can only interact simultaneously after killing eachother which works really well. Heckling and laughing aplenty.

I also convinced my friend to buy this and Resident Evil 5 which, due to the nature of the game, can be a good catch-up chat as well as helping eachother.

It's the level of tecnhology that's impressive and if you don't like someone, just mute them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Very good, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) (Accessory)
I have been using this Wireless Headset for years and it stills works very well. Headsets have come and gone, but i always end up going back to this Headset. For a simple Wireless Headset to talk to friends while playing Multiplayer games this Headset cannot be bettered for the money.

Sony Wireless Headset (PS3)
Sony Wireless Headset (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)
24.83