4.0 out of 5 stars What problems will you encounter?
I've just purchased this on steam because it was reduced and I'm writing a review here, because this is where I went myself to get some insight in to the game before purchasing it

Published 23 months ago by J Meaden

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but repetetive
All the people who have been complaining that this is very hard to install properly are absolutely right. I got it about 2 years ago and got so mad that it didnt work I gave up. I recently tried again and got it working. I did this by going on the GTA website and following all the instructions. It realy is annoying the way they made this game.
Anyway so whats it...
Published on 3 Sept. 2012 by jamo

4.0 out of 5 stars What problems will you encounter?, 29 Mar. 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)

First off, you need to be aware that a lot of the negative reviews posted here are from people that can't get the game to run without crashing, running very slowly or are morally opposed to being forced to sign-up to MS LIVE. If you start to read through these reviews you will find that a lot of complaints about not getting it to run appear to be the fault of the author. People complaining the game wont run fast on their laptop with a crippled graphics card or that it wont run on their unpatched (probably pirated) copy of XP.

This is my system: Windows XP SP3, Intel i5 2.6Ghz 750 (this is an older i5 not latest), Nvidea GTX460, 4GB RAM. And this is my experience:

Install passed without problems
The first run of the game icon set off some installations of stuff (DirectX checks etc.). It all went fine.
The game then started to load and then crashed... (don't panic!)
I waited a few seconds and ran the desktop icon again and this time it worked fine (and has every time since)

Once in to the game's main menu this is where you start to hit some of the things other reviews complain about

First thing it is going to try to get you to do is join the social club. You DO NOT have to do this, just choose play offline and you can skip registering! You loose multiplier and being able to post videos for others to watch (I wasn't bothered about that).

The next thing it will try to do is get you to join MS LIVE. This is also optional and you can just click no to everything and start playing, however you will loose the ability to save the game...
So as I think most players will want to be able to save you are going to need an MS LIVE account.

If you follow the links given it will take you to an XBOX live premium sign-up page. WARNING this is a paid for subscription, DON'T REGISTER!!!
The design of the sign-up page may change by the time you read this, but you are looking for a small (almost hidden) text link which lets you sign up for a free (non-premium) account. On the page I was directed to it was down on the bottom right of the page.

if you already have a Hotmail account you automatically already have an MS Live account, but it will still want you to link it to a game account (only takes 5sec to do this). MS Live will then perform an update which requires the game to restart, but you should be all set after that.
So finally we are at the point you can actually play the game! It was a bit of an annoying process, but only took about 10mins to go through.

For me the game settings defaulted to 1920x1200, textures medium and anisotropic x4
The game seemed fine to me at these settings although I will probably try to tweak them later (I'm going to be upping the textures for sure). On these default settings the in-game benchmark tool returned 61fps, 47% CPU usage, 47% video memory usage.
Edit: I set textures to high and the fps went up to 64 :)

As you will have noticed from other reviews when players can actually get in to the game they love it, so I hope my review of getting in to the game helps you decide if you want to purchase it or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but repetetive, 3 Sept. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
Anyway so whats it like? The graphics and added details are exellent (e.g - you can shoot people through car windows, and jump out of vehicles - nice) the gameplay and controls are good although the camera is not as intuitive as previous games so I crashed more than usual and got busted just because I couldnt see what was happening. This is annoying but no massive problem. My main issue with 4 is the story is boring and the city is repetetive. The missions are all very similar and once youve done about 10 youve done them all. After completing it I realised theres no way this is as good as San Andreas. San andreas has better characters, a varied map and some original missions. It had atmousphere! This is generic and bland and while the realism is welcome I think its a shame they spent so much time on grphics and none on storyline and variation.
I did enjoy the game but its very long and after a point I was hurrying to finish it. I realy hope they concentrate more on story and variation with 5 because I wont be playing any more GTA games if they are like this. Its too much time out of my life so they need to be worth it! In short - GTA3 was amazing and blew me away. San andreas was a definate improvement and well worthy as a sequel. This was dissapointing and I feel quite an unimportant game.

1.0 out of 5 stars A difficult game to install......?........'fraid so, 23 May 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
If you've read or flicked through most of these reviews, you will see a mixed bag.

I'm afraid that if you have a PC with a high degree of security on it, as in a decent firewall, virus killer and or other malware killing programs, then it will not like SecuRom.
I have had a problem with this since Bioshock and installing good security on my PC.
I didnt know that SR was installed with GTAIV, otherwise I wouldnt have bothered, I have even un-installed SR, which isn't easy, but I still get BSoD and random crashes now.
As for the game, I never got to see it play, as I never got that far to appreciate it.

I'm sure it looks great, but all this extra stuff you have to install to play the game is crazy. It took me nearly 4 hrs to get to activate the game using the serial code in the manual, unfortunately, the 2nd hand game had no manual....sheesh!, so I had to send it back, but the problems remain the same, SR is not user or XP friendly, and it writes itself to the root of your hard-drive, causing major problems with your firewall and anything that is monitoring I/O processes.

If you want to see the worst case scenario (as for me) then read Rocco's review, it mirrors my experience to the fullstop at the end.
If you have any decent (by which I mean many) security programs on your PC, (if not, you should) then buy this game with fear in your heart.

Its a shame because the game should have been tremendous, but its just a nightmare of a port over from the PS and it will penalise all of us honest buyers who are not pirates but have to put up with this ridiculous Anti-copying, stick an iffy rootkit to my hard-drive, and make me install online disc checking routines to my PC.

Buy it, install it and cross your fingers that the RS social club is not undermining your firewalls and leaving your computer open to hacking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Installation issues with Windows 8, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
The game is good. But the game is not compatible with Windows 8. Emailing customer support (take Two Interactive customer support) is of no use as they will not respond. Calling by phone will get quick response. But after explaining all my problems for Windows 8, they send me the solution for Windows XP & Windows 7! Doesn't look like they have standard answers for W8. I had to read through GTA Forums to get an answer and there is lot of information in the forums. Finally I could manage to run the game and as my computer do not have a Graphics card, the game's graphics quality was poor. If you are not a reasonably good computer geek and your computer do not have enough memory & graphics card, think twice before buying this game. Otherwise the game is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but difficult to set up, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
Bought this only recently and having played through several missions, it has given me more than enough entertainment for the value. It runs fairly well on my laptop (Acer M5-481TG with Intel i5-3317U 2.60GHz, 6GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GT640 graphics, Win7), only sometimes getting slightly jittery.
The installation process is still long and tedious, but after getting the online accounts set up (you'll need to create two accounts to play, for Rockstar and Microsoft) and the latest updates installed, it runs stable and without crashing. You'll need a bit of patience for all this, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars great game - but terrible game because of real bad logging-in problems, 18 May 2009
Stephen Cooke - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
Great gameplay.... but whatever have they done with windows live and the rockstar games social club???? WHY???
You have to log on to both every time to save a game! pathetic. Dont bother with this game. really frustrating because of registration and logging on problems.
OK, I play lots of games online.
Normally they need a little jigging with passwords and player names, but this stupid thing takes the cookie.

The day was spent like this...

Load game, reboot, register with windows live, told i already have an account at this e mail address,.
Dohh, my daughter had already registered. Tell them I had forgotten password, waited hours for re-setting of password......
lost all the game i had been playing because you cant save unless you are logged on.....
got password.
started game...
Told "logon or password incorrect"....
Tried again
Logged on to rockstar games social club.....
Told " login not validated"......
grrrrrrr
I just want to play the game and save it!!!!!!

Pathetic.......
OK, OK, I was warned, and thought I knew better.
I did not!
This game is a turkey!
What a shame, 'cause I was sooooo looking forward to it...

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly converted XBox game, doesn't like Windows 7, 18 May 2012
S. Paget "S. Paget" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
I loved Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and San Andreas, but this was just too frustrating to be any fun.

The game was not designed for Windows 7, and takes some tinkering to get it to work. I had to go into my deepest Windows settings and turn off some features to stop the game juddering and freezing at every turn. I don't expect to have to search forums for tips on how to get a game running. This isn't 1994 any more.

Even when I got it working, the cars are sluggish and the controls laggy.
Maybe the story is good. I wouldn't know, I didn't get that far. I do know that this doesn't look or act like a PC game should.

4.0 out of 5 stars The darkest and most serious entry in the series yet, but still fun, 15 Jan. 2012
A. Whitehead "Werthead" (Colchester, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
Niko Bellic is a veteran of war and ethnic strife in the Balkans. Tiring of a life of violence and brutality, he receives an invitation to move to Liberty City, where his brother Roman reports he has made a new life for himself involving fast cars and beautiful women. Moving to the States, Niko finds his brother's stories were exaggerated. He runs a cab firm and is in debt up to his eyeballs with various shady characters. Proving his usefulness in eliminating opponents, Niko finds various factions in Liberty City vying to employ his talents and his new life in a new country becomes even more violent than the one he left behind.

Grand Theft Auto IV was released in 2008 and at the time of its release was reportedly the biggest-budgeted game of all time (a record later lost to The Old Republic) and the fastest-selling (since outstripped by Modern Warfare 2 and 3). Despite the title, it was the sixth 'main' game in the Grand Theft Auto series and the first in the series to appear on current-generation hardware, featuring massive advances in graphics over the previous games in the series. It was greeted with near-unanimous critical acclaim but fan reaction was more mixed, with criticisms over the toning down of the wackiness of the series and the reduction in game size and character customisation from the colossal San Andreas.

In general terms, the game plays in an identical manner to Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City and San Andreas. Your character has the freedom to pick from one of several missions from one of several characters at a time, or can go off and do odd jobs for money or can simply chill out and explore the city. Given the leap to the next generation of hardware, it's surprising how similar the gameplay is to the previous titles in series. Of course, graphically the game is a massive leap forwards in quality and players will likely spend early parts of the game simply gawping at the sun rising over the ocean, or the monumental size of the city and its dozens of skyscrapers when seen from a helicopter. On PC, adding a graphics mod (like the mighty IceEnhancer mod, if your PC can handle it without instantly exploding) can make the game even look semi-photorealistic and absolutely jaw-dropping. Liberty City's fidelity to the real New York City is also startling: one of my NYC-based friends reported even finding his apartment building in the game, let alone faithful renditions of the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, MetLife Building, Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building.

A noticeable addition to the game is a cellphone, through which your character can receive missions and call up contacts. The cellphone (which also doubles as a camera and MP3 player) is a handy addition to the gameplay and provides the game with its biggest single step forwards over previous titles in the series: the ability to interact with other characters. In previous games, you could only interact with characters in missions and cut-scenes, and had no say over how your relationship with these people developed. In GTA4, you can ring up contacts and arrange to meet them outside of missions for drinks or going to shows or playing games. This improves your relationship with these characters, and at a certain point you can call on them for resources or favours. Additional depths to these characters are also revealed in conversations that take place during these meetings. The game essentially gives you some control over how interpersonal relationships develop during the story, which is fairly remarkable for a non-RPG.

Unfortunately, a potentially paradigm-shifting mechanic bogs down into a minor annoyance when, whilst clinging to the roof of a truckfull of heroin with the driver trying to shake you off to your imminent death, you get a phone call from a friend asking you to play darts with him. When you say no because you are about to die in the face, they get the huff and your reputation points with the character go down. By the late-game period, when you have more than half a dozen friends and contacts, the calls and texts begging for you to hang out with them become a constant stream of annoyance, and this results in them being ignored by most players. Fortunately they are purely optional.

The meat of the game, then, is the plot and the missions, and both are well-executed. The storyline is excellent, probably the best in the entire series, and is depicted through convincing writing and strong voice acting. Niko's character development is great, as he tries to be a good person but all too easily is dragged back to a life of violence and crime. This is Rockstar's latest attempt to present a three-dimensional protagonist who is realistic and complex but must also be capable of committing whatever mayhem the player wants him to and is their best attempt yet (Vercetti in Vice City being an unredeemable villain and CJ in San Andreas being too nice, conflicting frequently with the player's lunatic actions). Other characters are also excellently developed, with Niko's brother Roman and Jamaican friend Jacob being notable. For a game with an ethnically diverse cast (the game has lots of satirical commentary on American immigration issues), however, it is disappointing that the game's only gay character of note being presented as a mincing, effeminate cliche, although his role as Niko's conscience in several missions is important.

The missions are great, ranging from assassinations to massive all-out battles to car chases to helicopter duels amongst the skyscrapers of the city. Towards the end of the game (the single-player missions will take about 25 hours to complete) things start getting a tad repetitive, but generally speaking the missions are varied and fun. Combat has been given a big overhaul, with the addition of cover mechanics. However, enemy AI appears to almost be unchanged from previous games in the series, with them being worse shots than Imperial Stormtroopers, and rarely challenging. Car handling has also been made more realistic, with the cars being heavier and more difficult to stop (aside from the best sports cars). This makes the choice of which car to take on a mission far more important than previously. The game's handling of police pursuits has also been made more realistic, with it being possible to escape the police's attention by getting out of a search zone and lying low. However, it's also much easier than before, and the police are much less of a threat than in previous games.

Where the game succeeds is in its depiction of a modern city riven by competing interests (corporate, government and criminal) and its portrayal of Niko as a bewildered individual caught in the middle of it all. The game is a lot of fun, if not quite as insane as the previous instalments of the series, with occasionally effective musings on the nature of violence and its eroding effect on the soul. The game is also heavily satirical, passing commentary on the USA and the issues it faces on many levels (the war on terror, corporate power, the economy, immigration, civil rights) through dialogue and also the game's numerous, entertaining radio stations (and yes, Lazlow returns to Liberty City with a new show).

Overall, Grand Theft Auto IV (****½) is an impressive, engrossing game. It lacks the tonal variety that the different cities and cultures of San Andreas brought to proceedings, but it has more depth of character and a stronger plot than any previous GTA game. It's also a tragedy, a rather startling choice for Rockstar and a genuine risk for them to take with one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world. Artistically, it pays off handsomely.

Technical note: The PC conversion of the game has been criticised in many quarters, particularly for its performance on dual-core machines. Running the game fully patched-up on a brand-new quad-core with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB nVidia 560ti graphics card, I had exactly zero technical issues. Gamers with older PCs may encounter problems, however.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get me wrong it's a great game - there are a few issues., 2 Jan. 2012
T. Thurston - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
It's a great game but you need to bear these things in mind:

(1) You really do need a decent PC - I'd tend to aim higher than the recommended specifications, for me a 1GB GTX 260 wouldn't play it (it would look crap and textures wouldn't load) where as with my new build it will, however that comes at a price. In 2012 parts are alot cheaper so don't for a second think that all the 1 star reviews are rubbish- If I'd played it in 2009/10 I'd of been rating it that.

(2) RAM is an issue at least with the latest update to the game, simply put you can't run it with 2GB I have 8GB however that's clearly OTT 4GB should do you fine, the game uses about 2.1GB of RAM for me so with background apps (Steam, Chrome, Spotify etc...) you're at about 3GB.

(3) The installation process is tedious as people have explained but to cause less pain for yourself I'd do the following first.

- Register for Rockstar Social Club and Games for Windows Live (You can just enter your username and password then).
- Get the latest GFX drivers for your card.
- Make sure there are no pending Windows updates to interfere with the installation.
- Don't try to install something else at the same time like some twits do.

(4) It aint suitable for the kids, it's by far one of the most entertaining titles but not only do you need an understanding of the scenarios you need to be mature enough to understand it's a game and you really don't want (at least I wouldn't want) your kids seeing some of the stuff on the game.

Just my two cents, it's a great title has some fun missions as long as you have the hardware and patience to install it.

4.0 out of 5 stars If only Rockstar, if only..., 24 Oct. 2010
Griesmayer (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) (CD-ROM)
Before we get our hands dirty, I would like to point out that this game requires both the installation of Games for Windows Live and the Rockstar Games Social Club clients (with free accounts, respectively), to be able to be played. So obviously, you won't get around having to have an internet connection at least for the installation process, but later on, you can play in offline mode. I'd also like to share the specifications of my test system with you:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHZ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 295
Drivers: 190.62 (stable for me)
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)

With these system specs, I could play on the native resolution with everything maxed out except shadows set to the second highest setting and the detail level set to 72 instead of 100, as the total memory usage was already pushing 850 MB by now, all running at about 30 - 35 FPS. Now on to the review:

Grand Theft Auto IV is, as the roman numerical suggests, the fourth major installation in the GTA series. As is the theme with all games in the series, you take on the role of a petty criminal who starts to work for the big guys in the underworld in an attempt to earn wealth, fame and women. But as we all know, things just go from bad to worse. And GTA IV's gripping storyline is no different.

STORY:
After spending his youth participating in the Bosnian War, Niko Bellic, the game's Serbian protagonist, leaves his war-torn country in pursuit of the man responsible for the betrayal of his army unit. Ten years later, after a smuggling run that goes bad, Niko leaves Eastern Europe to escape the anger of his employer, Ray Bulgarin. All the while, Niko has stayed in contact with his cousin Roman, who has kept pouring honey into Niko's ears as he boasts living the American Dream in Liberty City and finally manages to convince Niko to come to the United States. After his illegal arrival however, Niko has a sobering disillusion when he realizes that Roman's tales of riches and luxury are nothing but lies. At the very bottom of society, Niko and Roman must now work their way up to achieve their goals of riches in one case and revenge, in the other.

GTA IV uses the Euphoria engine, and visually, is a big step ahead of its predecessors...but it comes with a price: to max out the settings, you need the sort of gaming rig capable of maxing out Crysis. And while GTA IV's graphics, especially the foliage, cannot even hope to compare with Cryengine 2, the game still looks very solid, especially at night. However, both ATI and NVIDIA users have observed many visual glitches in the game, such as flickering textures, shadows and sometimes even missing terrain. No driver can fix that; it's just the flaws of the engine. The game also has no form of anti-aliasing whatsoever, so enemies of jaggies have no choice but to get used to it or turn on a cheap blur-filter. On the positive side however, the Euphoria engine does a great job in rendering NPCs: they react accordingly depending on the location where they are shot at, bumped into, run over, stabbed, set on fire or beat down with a baseball bat. It's just fun to speed your car through a crowded pavement and watch the massacre, only to then give the cops a proper run for their money making use of a wide assortment of vehicles and weaponry.

GAMEPLAY:
If you haven't already guessed by now, GTA IV's biggest feature is its interactivity. Liberty City is a living, breathing city populated by several thousand randomly generated NPCs (of course, not all of these people are rendered at the same time - only about 20 to 30 are rendered in your immediate location) and can be explored either on foot, by car, truck, bike, metro, boat or even helicopter. The 24 hour day/night cycle is set in such a way that two seconds in real life equal one minute in the game. That way, you get to experience both day and night in a single gaming session (~ 48 mins), without speeding things up too much. Liberty City is full of stores and locations where you can buy clothes, cars or weapons, hang out with your friends to play pool or darts, go bowling, attend a comedy show, visit a strip club or even get drunk and stagger your way back home (good luck trying to drive a car in this state). Even internet cafés can be found, where you can log in to GTA IV's very own internet: dozens of websites full of catchy phrases guarantee for an enjoyable read, if you have that much time on your hands. The trademark satire carries over to all advertisement billboards, radio stations and even tv shows, starkly portraying the depravities of overflowing Western Capitalism. Your mobile phone in the game keeps track of all important appointments with your friends, love interests and business partners you have to attend to at a certain time.

Multiplayer is fun as well, giving you the entire city to chase other people around and blow things up with. I haven't invested much time into multiplayer, but there are several different modes of play, including some resembling gang wars and even car races.

The length of the singleplayer is located somewhere between your typical first person shooter and a fleshed out role playing game, i.e. around 35 hours if you watch all cutscenes, do some city exploring and hang out with friends. This is quite nice, but large parts of the story are actually quite boring. Most of the time you'll just find yourself doing mundane tasks to keep progressing the story line, such as driving to point A, from where you have to either chase some bad dude in a vehicle and kill him before he escapes or go to point B and kill a gang there and then return to point A for the cash. It is insanely difficult to keep any car you earn in your possession, because many missions you drive your car to, require you to get into another vehicle and once the mission is done and you return to pick up your car, it is gone. If you want to keep a car, you must always drive it back to the yellow parking spot in front of your appartment, so it is best to use the taxi or subway if you want to do some story-related missions, or, just as this game's main title suggests - steal a random car, which is extremely easy as they are so plentiful and their drivers usually offer little to no resistance. This trademark move is what the series is known for, after all! The police are also quite dumb in this game: all that you need are some basic driving skills and you'll leave them behind in no time. A great deal of the story revolves around working for various branches of the Mafia as well, so really, GTA is more of a Mafia game than the name might suggest.

Finally, checkpoints. There are none (except for the very big main missions which are basically divided into two parts). Read: there are none. If the autosave feature is turned on, the game saves *after* each completed mission, spawning you in your appartment from this time of the day on, if you exit the game and start it again. If you are killed in game, you usually spawn in the nearest hospital, and if you are arrested, you spawn outside the nearest police station. The game keeps an irritating record of how many pedestrians you have killed, how many times oyu have died etc., so to some this statistic can be annoying, especially since the game doesnt come with a fleshed out saving system that could help you "play" Niko as a more benevolent character who only goes after bad guys. If you want to manually save your game at any given time, the only way to do this is by returning to your home and sleeping, which is obviously only handy once you've finished a GTA IV gaming session, but otherwise completely useless. This completely inane checkpoint system ensures that if you manage to invest half an hour taking out all the bad guys, only to get killed by some cop who happened to be nearby, you get to repeat the whole mission once again, and that includes driving from your home to the location where you are given the mission in the first place. Great work, Rockstar - spending one hundred million dollars in making this game, but not even being able to implement a basic game save mechanic. Any amateur programmer will be laughing in his chair. Or rather weeping.

CONCLUSION:
Overall, GTA delivers solid entertainment, and it is very easy to get immersed in this huge, free roam metropolis created by Rockstar games. With several locations in the game that give you the option to choose the fate of certain characters (thus altering the storyline slightly) and a ton of additional content poured into the form of radio programs, tv shows, internet, dating services, video capturing and editing tools and hidden easter-eggs throughout Liberty City, GTA IV has a lot of replay value, however dampened by the high system requirements and graphical glitches. The glitches, the badly optimized engine, but more importantly, the abysmal checkpoint/save system and the lack of a garage to keep your cars bring down the perfect rating for this game in both categories. Four well deserved stars, out of five.

EDIT: Well, good news has finally come from Nvidia - the latest drivers are now capable of something called "FXAA", which is an affordable method of your graphic card evening out the jaggies in the game without actually enabling Anti-aliasing (some engines do not allow the latter, plus it drains framed like crazy). If you go to the Nvidia Control Panel and enable FXAA for the GTA IV game profile, you can now enjoy a Liberty City that is almost free of all jaggies!!! The game looks and feels *that* much better now, thanks to FXAA. Two thumbs up for Nvidia.

Grand Theft Auto IV (PC)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows Vista)