5.0 out of 5 stars A gaming masterpiece
I for one, regrettably was slow off the mark in buying Bioshock. Even though I had a demo, which blew me away, other games kept popping up which too priority over it, such as MGS4, Resistance 2 and Killzone 2, so I only bought it last month, a long time after its release - and I had no idea what I was missing!!

Bioshock is an incredible game - its something you...
Published on 8 Jun 2009 by R. Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars good game but over-rated
At the risk of going against the grain, I wasn't overly impressed with this game. Don't get me wrong, it is good, I just don't see what the fuss is about. There are many other games that I would say are better than this one. I may be a little biased as I have never really been a fan of first person shooters so the fact that I like this at all is a minor miracle. Hopefully...
Published on 19 May 2010 by Mr. N. Wildman

5.0 out of 5 stars A gaming masterpiece, 8 Jun 2009
R. Carter "hanza 101" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)

Bioshock is an incredible game - its something you experience as well as play. Very few games in the last few years have even come close to this deep, immersive, atmospheric game. Even though at the grass roots, it is fundamentally an FPS, it strives and succeeds to achieve a lot more. The setting itself, the underwater art-deco utopia of Rapture is like nothing I've seen before, yet captures every element of every fantasy film, whilst retaining a very real, and gritty base. The characters themselves (mainly splicers) are themselves victims or casualties of the DNA splicing that makes this world what it has become. But I can't emphasise it enough that the atmosphere is just breathtaking, graphically it is beautiful yet deep and solid, you really feel like you're, but not just because of the graphics, the sound and music is also oustanding a really adds to the tension and feel, all this and I haven;'t even mentioned the gameplay!

The feel and control of the game is solid, the weapons handle with enough bang and fizz, especially when upgraded, the characters move and react so very reaslistically, you also have additional DNA enhanced powers called plamids, which are mainly used offensively to compliment your arsenal and open up genuine creativity and ingenuity as to how you assault each enemy. You are further drawn in by the addictive nature of enhancing your abilities, both physical, engineering and skills - whcih as the game gently but assertively progresses, you will need all the help you can get.

Which bring us to the final point I wanted to cover, the little sisters and their huge, mute, protectors - the big Daddies. Its this partnership itself, that makes this game utterly unique and completely spellbinding - NEVER has a FPS achieved such an emotional pull from its gamer. Their co-dependancy is fascinating, and you will never have seen anything a game before that really invites you to ask questions about your self and the decisions you make - it almost literally makes you accountable - as the little sisters carry the basic element - Adam - which can fuel your powers and make you stronger....but you risk a lot in trying to get to her and then you risk her life if you decide to take it - it really does yank at your heart-strings.

I could literally take days to explain and cover everything that I love and is great about this game. But it is an absolute one-off. I only regret not buying it sooner, it is the most, well concieved, beautifully realised and utterly immersive experience I have ever enjoyed on a console. An absolute masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most entertaining, gripping masterpieces I've ever played., 26 Sep 2009
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is an absolute Masterpiece. Everything about this game has had so much thought and effort put in that it deserves the ratings and awards it has recieved. The atmosphere, graphics, music, characters, voice actors and so on... are all top quality, and you just can't bring yourself to put the controller down. It's totally addictive.

I have always wondered about buying Bioshock since i first saw it released on PS3 but I thought it was going to be a typical make you jump every five minutes game so i decided not to buy it because that's not particularly up my street. But then I did a little online research, and asked some people who played it to share their thoughts about the game and they were all positive. Rather than people saying it was scary they said how it was more weird, eerie and freaky, which is exactly how it is. If the only reason you are put off to get this is because you think it may be a little too scary then I can tell you now that it's not. OK it has its moments that make you jump, and enemies do tend to pop out of nowhere, but most of the time you hear them (splicers) muttering to themselves so you know to expect one soon.

The atmosphere and music work together so perfectly, and it reminded me in so many ways of Fallout 3, which is only a good thing. I don't think either game copied one another, they just both had the right idea of going about things and making a couple of truly epic games. I think most fallout fans will be Bioshock fans too, and vice versa.

This game is definitely worth getting, it has trophy support too so gives you a little extra challenge if you fancy it, and the price is no excellent and worth every penny.

Bring on Bioshock 2!

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, Addictive and Different! A+++, 21 Oct 2008
MonkeyFud (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
Firstly, I am only about 1/3 of the way through the game (I think), but it is a big game and you will get your moneys worth! So this review is based on the first 10 hours or so.

This game is great. It is not completely your traditional run about and blast non-stop FPS, there is more to it. For those of you old enough to remember System Shock, there are many similarities, hacking, weapon upgrades, trait and ability increase spending points, hitting people with crow bars etc. For those of you that don't remember, all you need know was that System Shock was a fantastic game and me being reminded of the game whilst playing is a plus point! Is it the same people or is the naming just a coincedence?

There are some minor puzzle elements and various ways you can play through levels depending on the choices you make.

The graphics are pretty good and atmospheric (I am Non HD), certainly nothing to complain about.

The sound is excellent, together with the graphics and the stylised game design, play this with the lights out and you will be absorbed for hours.

Downside?
As with any game of this calibre, do not buy if any of the below apply to you;
1. Currently trying to study for exams

Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars BioShock. Game of the YEAR???, 31 Oct 2008
N. T. Ebanks "rock_chick_1" (Anglesey Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
Many people have asked the question, what will be game of the year?

With this game already out on the Xbox 360 and PC. It still packs a wrench wallop of a hit on the PS3 (with the gameplay, graphics and artificial intelligence improved from the Xbox 360 and PC versions).

With the FPS genre considerably over packed, this is still one of the best FPS that will ever come out. Bioshock is definitely a FPS. But it is more than just a that, in the way that is also an action/adventure and a survival horror at times. And in the way that this game cannot be compared to other games because it's that good and that it is completely different to any other game.

By many games such as the Call of Duty series and many other games, online is the main part of that game and they put a lot of effort into the online system. Bioshock also show that you don't have to have online play to create a fantastic game.

This is definitely one of my favourite games of all time and I cannot wait for the sequel. I highly recommend Bioshock. I would give this game 97%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl plays Bioshock... and loves it!, 19 Sep 2010
Good Points:

~ Original storyline full of twists and turns.
~ Not your average FPS.
~ Great sense of satisfaction defeating the big daddies.
~ Choose to be a hero... or not.
~ Great atmosphere, uncomplicated controls, simply good gaming.

Bad Points:

~ Seriously addictive, you may not be able to leave the house on your days off (remember that day trip you were planning... well your mates will have to go without you).

Review:

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the sheer amount of carbon-copied first person shooters that have been released on the PS3? This is NOT one of them. Bioshock is an extremely original game with a storyline better than many films of recent years. It is a game in which you can make moral choices (like in other greats such as Lionhead's black and white on the PC) which effect the difficulty of the game; be nice to the little sisters and face a tougher time, or kill them and make it easier for yourself. I for one had to be nice to them, and went through the game setting them free, but I was always curious as to what happened if you didn't (if anyone knows, please let me know).

The game is set underwater, which makes for a slightly claustrophobic atmosphere. I think this adds to the game overall as it means that game-play feels more intense. The 'baddies' of the game can be quite amusing, with the 'splicers' coming out with some excellent one-liners (you will find out when you play, I am not going to spoil them). They can also be quite imposing and hard to kill, especially the big daddies, this makes for a more satisfying game-play experience. I found my heart racing more than a dozen times in the game.

The music throughout the game is phenomenal, but I may be biased as i love music from the 1930s 40s and 50s. But it is a constant reminder of the era in which the game is set. Another thing i found I really liked about the game is that almost everything you come across is interactive. There are objects and artifacts everywhere in-keeping with the era in which the game is set, which can be picked up, thrown, eaten, drank, set on fire, frozen, hacked, electrocuted, and you can even flush the toilets and leave the tap running.

Conclusion:

You definitely won't regret buying it, and when you've finished there's always Bioshock 2 to keep you amused!

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE SMALL COMPANY ONE GIANT LEAP IN GAMING STANDARDS, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
In 2007 a relatively small yet successful company "IRRATIONAL GAMES" (briefly 2k boston) released unto the world their hugely ambitious and eagerly anticipated new game "BIOSHOCK" and from that moment on a whole new era in gaming standards was defined. To be honest the story plot in Bioshock has been done countless times before (Unknown person becomes reluctant hero and slays evil tyrant hell bent on world domination). And so the story is nothing new, but then in Bioshock its in the games strange subteranean location, gorgeous 1920s art deco lighting and (rarely seen in a computer game) its deeply moral, political, and philosophical subjects matter that transcends this game into a whole new gaming experience. And indeed as you progress further through the strange Atlantean city of "RAPTURE" you are at oftentimes reminded of great literary works, places and events in time that have shaped the course of history "Orwells Utopia, Capones Chicago and even Hitlers new germany". Also this is a game that challenges you to question the world around you, contrevertial subjects like stem cell research, Darwins origin of the species and even the book of Genesis and the Garden of Eden are all here seemingly running a riot in the Godless city of Rapture. And the attention to detail in this game is nothing short of AMAZING, from its 1930s art deco-lighting, marbled fresco walls, floorings and ceilings, and to its beautifully designed "BAKELITE" TVs radios and even childrens toys, in Bioshock you really will spend many hours just wandering around mesmerised by what you see. This is a game that you will cherish every moment playing and remember long after you have completed it and bade farewell to the addictive and fabulous world of RAPTURE. A true masterpiece, if only all games could be this good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 15 Feb 2012
J Dorman (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game from reviews on here and I'm glad I did, for the price it is definitely worth picking up alone but the game itself is very very good.

The game is a FPS not an RPG which i was lead to believe from some reviews, if there is a hint of RPG in this game it is very minimal. Like another reviewer had said when playing Bioshock it reminded me a lot of Timesplitters just the way the game is set out and different types of levels you approach. The general feeling of the game is dark you either have the choice of doing the right thing or having lots of power. The first 20 minutes is the best opening to a game i have ever played, the first time you see a splicer is scary enough to make your heart race.

I can't say much about the story without giving it away, but it definitely surprises you more than once and if you take the time to read the audio tapes it is very immersive. There is also a collection aspect of the game which being a hoarder Fallout fan i enjoyed a lot, collecting items to construct not only ammo but also aid and other tools that help you through the game. The enemies have their own strong points which you can research with your camera giving you bonuses and helping you understand what they are vulnerable to, another point i liked about the game.

I also love the upgrade your guns ability it definitely allows you to play the game the way you want.

I couldn't give it 5 stars because there were a few things that bugged me and the fact that it had barely any reason to play the game again after having completed it. The lack of a inventory screen means you have no idea how many of an certain item you have. The only way of knowing how much of an item you have is to revisit a certain machine which sometimes can be very inconvienient and cause problems (e.g. making too many auto-hack tools because you just can't tell how many you have) it should really either stop you or at least tell you especially when you're playing on a difficult setting and trying to survive the best you can lol.
Another thing was the need to scroll through guns to get to the one you want, this is only a problem if you mix guns in battle which i do when fighting big daddies, you can lose a lot of health trying to go to the machine gun from the shotgun.
Talking about guns...the amount of weapons could have been just a bit more I felt that only having 2 guns that used actual bullets/shells was a minor let down especially for a FPS. I so badly wanted an alternative to the wrench, I for some sick reason love the sound when you bash splicers over the head with it ha-ha...but yeah an alternative to your current weapons would've been nice.

Overall for 13 this game is really under priced, it's a great game that once you get through the first level it will continuously bring new things to you as you explore and a really interesting story with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Quality!!, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
Im not going to write a long review of the game,i simply want to say that i have been a gamer for over 15 years and have played many AAA games. Bioshock is AAA+++ because of the world of Rapter its BladeRunner style city, duel weapons, bots,hacking,moving story,and still stands up today as one of the very best games to be produced. 100% quality you must cheak this game out!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!!, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
this game is brilliant and sits proudly in my collection for all time!!!!

Its an original setting and story!

graphics are gorgeous as is the many ways to get through the story,have finished this a few times making very different decisions each time,i realise it came out a few years back but i love it so much.its in my top 5 of all time to stay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like it until I changed it to 'Easy'......, 24 Dec 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bioshock (PS3) (Video Game)
Well, I bought this game based on the extremely positive reviews which I had read during my research of 'the sort of games I like which perhaps I missed'. Started playing it and soon got frustrated by running out of ammo, which of course has you on edge just that little bit more, meaning when some twisted up splicer pops up, you jump up. Wasn't enjoying it and was about to give up when I decided 'f it', I'll set it to 'Easy'. You can change the difficulty throughout the game. After I did this, ammo was much easier to come by and the game became a more pleasurable experience. Really enjoyed it. Those elite players out there will probably think I am some sort of feeble game player, but I really don't like the hassle of continously running out of ammo (and having to spend hours searching for it), and having to attempt and re-attempt to kill a boss. As long as you get the idea that they are a hard nut, and the game has sufficient depth (which this has) not to rely on these encounters as a necessary stalling point then that's all you need. As other reviewers have said, this game has plenty of uniqueness and downright weirdness to keep you fully engaged. Definitely worth a punt (on easy!), unless you're as twisted up as one of those splicers...

Bioshock (PS3)
Bioshock (PS3) by Take 2 Interactive (PlayStation 3)
24.78