on 19 December 2008
This is a great scanner, i have not got around to using the software included yet as i'm using the scanner via photoshop. it sets up within a minute of opening the box

it scans so so quickly, if your replacing and 5+ year old model then you'll be amazed by the difference. i managed to scan around 50 photos in an hour while saving them, putting them into folders and putting the photos back into albums.
The unit makes very little noise also, its also very small, so slender infact that i have it stored in a paper tray ready for use.

overall its perfect for any domestic/semi professional use with either the bundled or third party software.. i wouldn't say its not suitable for professional applications either.
on 16 December 2008
Got one of these to replace my ever-faulty Canon Lide 90. While it may look absolutely identical to the Lide 90 (albeit costing about £10 more) this is just a better machine. Scan quality is excellent with natural colours and pretty impressive reolution (max 4800x4800dpi compared to the Lide90's 2400x4800dpi).
It's fairly quiet, powers off the USB port, has the nice 'z-lid' which concertina's up to allow thick books etc. to be scanned.

Now, speaking as a Mac user, the software is not great with it but it does OK for the most part. In any case, I scan directly into Photoshop which brings me to the next point. This is a TWAIN scanner (stands for Technology Without An Interesting Name - it does, really!) and these have, in the past, worked fine with Photoshop. However, the new version - Photoshop CS4 has dropped native support for TWAIN scanners. Now, at least on a Mac, there isn't really any other option. Not to worry though, Adobe offer the TWAIN plugin on the Photoshop install disc, you just have to go add it seperately. After that, it works beautifully.

Anyway, great scanner for very little money. Recommended!
on 17 April 2009
The picture on Amazon is the wrong one, so don't be surprised that the scanner looks different to that pictured - check the canon website for a more accurate photograph. I bought this scanner in order to scan colour slides and negatives, as well as general purpose flatbed scanning. The quality of all the jobs I've done so far has been excellent - slides can easily stand being printed at photo quality on A3 size. It's incredibly easy to use and although some would say the slide scanning is slow, you can scan a batch whilst filing and labelling the other scanned pictures. In short I'm delighted with it.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2009
I purchased this scanner so I could scan my traditional darkroom printed 10"x8" black & white photos which I process myself to a fine art standard.

These prints are on both resin coated and fibre-based paper in a variety of textures from matt, semi-matt and pearl surfaces from the Ilford Multigrade IV range.

After spending time working on each print in the darkroom, I wanted to get these images on to my computer for uploading to my website for client viewing so I invested in this scanner which I found created great scans and is so easy to use. Instant warm-up time, neat compact unit and very portable.

Using Canon's own software and scanning with the standard colour setting with automatic exposure mode created spot on images as per originals. The blacks are black and whites are very clean and accurute. No tweaking required. This very much surprised me, can't fault this basic conguration.

Usually scanning B&W prints creates colour casts but nope, very good and true to the original.

The only option I needed to enable is the descreen function if using non-glossy photo paper. The scan quality is outstanding scanning at 300 and 600 dpi, more than enough for the web.

I also tried scanning using the greyscale mode instead of colour and to be honest, I found you get maybe slightly better greyscale tones but for web output it not that noticeable. The standard 24-bit colour setting works really well.

I've also had a go with scanning colour material whether magazines or other colour photos and again the captured images are excellent. Just make sure you set you graphics card and monitor to use sRGB colour management (Choose display in Windows XP control panel, settings, advanced, colour management).

Would highly recommend this scanner if all you want to do is reflective scanning. It works for me and I'm glad I didn't spend extra money on a dual film/flatbed unit.

A good investment, I'm pleased.
on 25 April 2009
I bought this scanner after much research and have not been disappointed. It is a superb piece of kit, well-made and very easy to use. The software which comes with it is excellent and the copies it produces match those of much more expensive scanners. As usual with Amazon, it was delivered very soon after ordering, even with Super Saver Delivery. The only criticism I've got is that Amazon recommended that I also purchase a Belkin USB cable for use with the scanner. I did order the cable only to find that the scanner came with its own cable, which was not mentioned in Amazon's product description. In any case, the Belkin cable was not suitable as it had a different connector! So it's 5 stars for Canon but not for Amazon I'm afraid, as I'm now stuck with a cable which I didn't need.
on 4 February 2009
The Cannon scanner is easy to set up and has a useful "quick scan" function which really is quick to use without going through a series of computer stages. You have to remember everything comes out upside-down if you place documents under the plate in the natural position but you soon get used to this. Excellent results all round on documents and photos. A.V.D.
on 30 September 2009
Buyer beware. The product description for this Canon LiDE 200 and all specifications on this page belong to a different, presumably much more expensive scanner. The LiDE 200 appears to be a very basic document and photo scanner with resolution up to 600 dpi. IT DOES NOT SCAN FILM OR SLIDES which was actually rhe reason I purchased it. It is going back to the reseller just as soon as I can work out how to achieve that.

What a shame that Amazon do not provide an easy way of pointing out errors like this. I had no option but to write this review.

Additional info two months later. The seller, Cartridge Point, were very helpful in taking back the scanner. And I bought a CanoScan 8800F from them which does an excellent job of scanning film and slides but at more than twice the price. That's the positive news.

The negative news is that Amazon's so-called customer service does not seem to have any interest in correcting the errors in the Product Description. I have exchanged E-mails and phone calls with customer services and drawn a complete lack of interest.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2009
I bought this scanner to transfer old slides onto the computer, primarily, but also to use as a straight scanner. It becomes ready for use almost immediately. My old scanner took forever warming itself up, which was frustrating when there was only 1 document to scan. The Canon's preview scan is rapid and the software easy to use. I have only experimented with the slide scanning attachment so far. The plastic holder locates 4 slides without too much trouble. I do feel a little concerned about scratching the platen, but, with care, this shouldn't happen. The slides I tried, as I say, are quite old, but they scanned into Photoshop without any trouble. I used Edit-Attach Profile in CS3 to get the colour as near as possible to true. If I remember correctly Adobe RGB was the best. I am pleased with the scanner, which is a good testimonial as I loathe scanning and believe it will be fine for my purposes.
on 17 March 2009
The reasons buying this scanner is Size, Price and Easy-use.
It is really easy to use. No power supply from wall needed. Only one USB cable operates the scanner.
This scanner is very light and thin. Twice or even three times thinner than usual scanners.

Actual quality of image is acceptable if you are scanning printed photographs.
If you need great quality for photos avoid this. However if you are scanning photos from magazine or books this scanner is good enough.

Scanning speed for A4 photograph, original size, 300dpi is about 70sec.

The quality is very good for the price and size!
Recommended.
on 17 April 2009
Tried both included software and latest downloads from Canon site but the file wouldn't open (a box shows "insufficient memory" without having opened anything). Explored all options with Canon helpline but they couldn't suggest a remedy and said they have had this issue with Vista for some time. Too bad. Don't bother if you use Vista. Amazon's express delivery was excellent, scanner is being returned. (I see a review of the '100' scanner says it might work with Vista 32 bit even though not with 64 bit, but here it doesn't).

See one answered question