5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money, 6 Mar 2010
Peter Roxburgh (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (12.3MP) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
It is only fitting that my 100th review on Amazon is for my D90.

I bought it at Christmas time to replace my Nikon D40 which I had for 2 years and died on me.

Very pleased I paid the money to go for the D90 rather than the D5000.

I did a LOOOOT of research before I decided on the Nikon D90. Initially it was a fight between Canon and Nikon. I decided to stick with the Nikon as I already had some Nikon accessories. There are some cheaper models of the Canon that will allow quick change for things like ISO settings and so on.

Then it was a fight between D5000 and the more expensive D90.

The D90 spec was obviously higher than the D5000. But everyone everywhere was advertising the D5000. And the D5000 has the tilt screen and so on.

After all the research I decided that although the D90 did not have the tilt screen, everything else was worth paying the extra money.

The D90 is built better than the D5000. The D90 feels and is aimed at those who are slightly more than just the rich casual photographer. The D90 is aimed much for the 'prosumer' market. People who enjoy photography as an art, a hobby and take it that little bit more seriously than just someone who wants nice holiday snaps.

The thing that really sold it for me (as a budding wedding photographer) was the fact that changing settings on the D90 is really easy. There are dedicated buttons for ISO, Quality, Flash Settings, Picture mode (i.e. self-timer, burst), Exposure compensation.

With the two dial jogs, it is really easy to change the settings. So for example, if you wanted to change the flash settings, you press the dedicated flash button with your left hand. With your thumb you rotate the back jog to change from 'Red-eye' to 'Rear', 'Slow' and so on. And with your forefinger of your right hand you can dial up or down the level of the flash! As easy as that! And the process works similarly for other settings!

For wedding photography this is brilliant, rather than having to dive into a Menu like I used to with my D40.

It has endless other options and features which would be too lengthy for me to write about. One of the other useful feature is 'bracketing'. This is where you set the camera to take a series of photos each at different exposure levels. That way you can quickly take the same picture three times, without having to constantly adjust exposure compensation. Hopefully at least one of them will be the right exposure. Fantastic again for when a Bride is walking down the aisle with her father etc or trying to take photos of a sunset.

The other great thing about going for the D90 over the D5000 is that the AF motor is in the body. So for example, I bought only the body and for the time being I am using the body kit lens from my D40. On the D5000, that would render that lens non-auto focus. However, because the AF motor is in the D90, my D40 lens still has auto focus!

It also worked fine with my Nikon SB-400 flash.

When I bought it, I didn't think I would use the video all that much and in fact was worried that by adding video, Nikon might compromise on the still photography. However, I have found for personal use the video quite fun. There are times when you wish you had a video camera - and now you do!

Sure, the video doesn't autofocus, so I always flick it onto Manual AF and use it that way. The sound and picture quality are fine and I love the option of being able to capture a short video as well as taking stills.

Just recently, I shot a wedding with a friend of mine. He was using a Canon 50D (which is a lovely camera too - more comfortable to hold than the D90), however, he said to me at the end of the 4 hours or so that he had changed his main camera battery twice! I, on the other hand, had only lost 1 bar on my battery indicator!! No idea what the Canon 50D is doing but the Nikon D90 does seem to have a considerably better battery-life!

Overall, this is a fantastic camera. If you just want a nice camera for taking pictures when on holiday then I would probably save the money and buy the D5000. However, if you want more from your DSLR and want to develop your photography skills, you want to photograph fast-changing subjects like birds, try new things out or start out in wedding photography etc then this is fantastic camera and gives you amazing value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - full stop., 21 April 2010
I initially bought the D5000 (to replace a D50 - Oh! I miss my D50...) but after a week with it I just wasn't happy and managed to return it to a well known high street retailer. Replaced it with a D90 (body only). I put a Nikon 50mm 1.8d lens on it (the only lens I have) and it was a marriage made in heaven. Literally from the first picture I have been delighted with it.

When I was researching my purchase a lot of reviewers made a big thing about how useful it was having dedicated buttons for all of the key functions and at the time I thought "big deal" I don't mind delving into the menus but having used the buttons on the D90 I now realise how wrong I was. It is sooo useful having dedicated buttons for things like ISO, EXPOSURE, etc at your finger tips.

I don't think I can add much more to the existing excellent reviews however, I would advise any owners to get to understand the picture controls thoroughly - they are a really useful feature to get precisely the result you want. You can create your own picture controls on top of the existing ones (in camera or using the ViewNX software that comes with the camera) or download ones created by other users.

If I ever replace the D90 it will be with another D90!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nikon D90, a great camera!, 3 Jun 2010
M. Hall (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure what I can add to the many glowing reviews of this terrific camera! I have used lots of cameras over the years from SLR 35mm film, compact digital, bridge cameras and DSLR's but the D90 is the best I have owned. What impresses me is that everything is where I want it to be...all the buttons for me are in the right place. Things that on some cameras are hidden away in menus are accessed through dedicated buttons on the D90. If I want to change the ISO it's very easy as there is a button which allows me to change without getting involved in the menu at all, it adds up to one fantastic camera! I like to take night shots and the lack of noise is an absolute dream, it really is that good! It also gives me confidence knowing that this is a very special piece of high quality engineering. The 3 inch high resolution screen is very effective and appears to be much better than most DSLR's I have seen plus the handling and the 'feel' of the D90 for me is oh so right. At the moment I have it partnered with a Nikon 35mm prime which can achieve fabulous results. I believe this is a camera that can deliver great pictures if left in the auto mode and truly staggering images if you have the knowledge and imagination to go beyond the norm! An exceptional DSLR and I highly recommend the Nikon D90 without hesitation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera for the price, but forget the video feature, 15 Nov 2009
Upgraded from a D40 to the D90 as needed more focus points and an inbuilt auto focus motor to use with more advanced lenses. My only regret is not getting the camera sooner as its results are amazing. Excellent, quick focusing system, great image processing for JPEGs, amazing LCD screen and great, low noise images. Some even go as far as to say that, under most conditions, this camera even out performs the much more expensive D300, although the D300 does have a magnesium body and some weather sealing.

The D90 is slightly heavier (about 100g more) than the D40, and this could be a concern if weight is a concern. However, I can carry it around all day with the wonderful Nikon 18-200mm VR lens, and the two together is a dream combination! Only possible downside, is the quality of the video mode which is not great. However, I must say that I was reluctant to even mention this in this review for two reasons: Firstly, no one seems to use SLR's to shoot videos, and Secondly, because this is such a great camera its a shame to detract from it for an issue with something none of us are realistically going to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 9 April 2010
T. James "Tom James" (UK) - See all my reviews
I decided to go for the D90 as my first DSLR. like other people have said, i spent ages, and i mean ages, deciding which camera to get. After owning this camera for several months now, i am delighted to say that it has gone above and beyond my expectations.

The camera itself is so easy top use and even has a help button if your unsure what something is (e.g. changing flash settings, you press one button and it tells you everything you need to know about everything to do with that setting. The buttons are very well laid out and easy to use and the camera feels very comfortable in the hand. and i love how the two dials on the front and rear side of the camera are used for nearly everything, and both work very well.

Being Nikon, both the body and the 18-105 VR lens that i got with the camera, are exceptionally good quality. Everything feels sturdy despite the plastic material that they are mostly made out of. The D90 has the perfect weight, not too light (doesn't feel cheap) not too heavy (doesn't break your neck), I love it!

I am extremely impressed with the pictures that I've managed to get from my D90. I do a lot of long exposure photography and it works really well. In addition to this, the wide array of compatible lenses from Nikon mean that there's something for everything! I'm getting the 70-300 VR soon and the fixed 50mm f/1.8. The 50mm is under 100 on here, and with such fantastic reviews and amazing results, who could resist?

My only issue was me (A 15 year old boy), worrying about the safety of my equipment. So, i searched for a few weeks into camera insurance. I chose a company called 'Glover and Howe' which specialize in photography insurance and i think telescopes. anyway, i pay 35 per year to insure up to 1000 of photography equipment. I chose this company due to the very positive reviews over the interweb. anyway, i am not trying to advertise the company, they just seem like an excellent company who are easy to deal with (don't try and get out of paying up if you make a claim). I highly recommend insuring your gear, it will be worth it if something ever happens.

Very happy chappy overall, best Christmas present EVER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera I've owned, 13 May 2010
My first digital SLR was a D40 and this is a natural upgrade. The only difference that really matters between this and the lesser models D40/60/3000/5000 are that you can fit all the legacy Nikon AF lenses and they work perfectly. New or used these lenses don't come cheap but give stunning results - go for the latest newer versions where possible as they have more advanced coatings and special elements that enhance contrast and saturation.
The D90 is far cheaper and more compact/lightweight than a D300 but with the same image quality and has the same high resolution 3" display which makes it a breeze to check focus, exposure and colour balance.
Features and customisation options are far too numerous to list but the menus are very intuitive. Manual settings are very simple and quick to change using 2x control dials, a D-pad and shortcut buttons.
I recommend the following lenses and accessories:
Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote - cheap and tiny, lives in a pouch on the strap
Nikon SB-400 - v compact speedlite, excellent battery life, very accurate iTTL exposures and lovely bounce lighting
Nikon 18-200mm VR - pricey but very versatile lens - ideal for holidays where you need to pack light.
Nikon 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses - low budget alternative to the above (only get the VR version of 55-200)
Sigma 10-20mm - reasonably priced wide angle zoom, nice landscapes and architecture shots
Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S DX - new lens, great for general low light shots. much sharper and lighter/compact than zooms.
Nikon 50mm f1.8 - cheap and cheerful compact prime lens, v sharp, great colours and nice low light people shots
Nikon 85mm f1.8 - for portraits and isolating subjects with narrow depth of field
Note that the last 3 lenses give a much brighter viewfinder image than with zooms.

It's quite telling that the D90 has not been updated or modified at all since its release some time ago and the selling price has not dropped much either - that's due to the fact that it's a class piece of kit, does the job for a reasonable price and it's still in high demand. The only improvement I can think of is to the movie mode which is limited in that it doesn't allow focusing while filming and only average mono sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truely fantastic camera, 25 April 2010
Edward Jones (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I have had a keen eye on this camera ever since it was launched. I recently purchased the D90 as an upgrade from my first Nikon DSLR, the D40. All the features i was missing on the D40 were present on the D90, Most of them as handy shortcut buttons placed on the camera. The quality of the camera and the photos it produces is amazing, and a definite difference from the D40. Considering it has much of the same technology as there is in the D300, the D90 is well worth the money. I highly recommend this camera to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Every Penny, 18 April 2009
T. Maidens - See all my reviews
Buying a D90 body was a mistake as it has relegated my D300 to the position of "expensive ornament".

Originally bought as a second body, it has now taken over to become my number one choice for a day out. It is lighter than the D300, easier to use and I can't tell any difference in picture quality when used with the same lens.

Also, the firmware has been really well thought out, being comprehensive enough to allow a large range of options without the overkill of some of the more expensive models.

The D700 or D3 would probably produce marginally better images in low light but on a clear day and with good glass I doubt there would be much in it.

The plastic body shell may not be as robust as some of the more professional models but it certainly seems stronger than some of its rivals at a similar price point. If it does eventually wear out through over use I could always dust off the D300.

STOP PRESS - A few months ago I purchased a D7000 with the intent of selling on my D90. Yes in some situations the D7000 is better as it should be, but outdoors in good light using the same lenses I can't tell the difference. In fact I usually end up adjusting the D7000 to give me similar results to what I am getting with the D90 so I have decided to hang onto it for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars I upgraded from a d60 to the d90, 24 Mar 2010
Harry Sykes "H SYKES" (YORKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
The main reason i upgraded to the D90 was because I was in need of a more advanced camera with more advanced capabilitys and compatability. And that , if it is what you want , is what you get.
I dont use the HD video feature because its just another nikon gimmick , but i suppose in the spare of the moment it could come in handy if you havent taken your video camera and want to take a video. The video sound quality is very good and clear , but with any camera video function will never be as good as a true video cameras quality.
The cameras , camera functions are extremely easy to use and follow on from more consumer nikon models such as the D40/60 , just the D90 has more features.
More autofocus points with a 3D tracking feature that works
Live view mode that is easy to use and has a live zoom facility that helps with focusing
autofocus motor that enables the user to use older nikon lenses without the hsm lenses that are used in the D40/60

more features are there , i just cant be bothered to type them all out.

amongst the ocean of features that you behold when you take hold of the D90 you will notice its size , weight and ergonomics.
Nikon are well known for making cameras that are designed to fit your hand , with interfaces (controlls) specifically designed and located so that in relation to the organ using them e.g your thumb or index finger , the controll is always there.

EXTREMELY USEFUL - new led screen on top right hand side of camera
this feature if you are used to lower range cameras without the led screens is even more useful in my opinion than the main screen used to view pictures.
no longer do you need to navigate long menu systems to change a setting like shutter release mode , metering mode , shutter speed , aperature and more. just hold down an easy to locate button on the back or top of the body to select the option category and then use one of the 2 scroll wheels to change the option.

picture quality - exceptional , sharp , colourful , contrasting images. iv printed to A3 size and havnt noticed any distortion of any kind. i imagine that extremely large prints can be made with only minute distortion , but how many times are you going to need to print a picture the size of a wall ? get a hassleblad !

the only shame about the D90 is its cost , but with the new features and controlls youll get , more money from the beautiful pictures you will take with the D90.

The reviews speak for themselves , you wont understand untill you have tryed it

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good camera, but not without it's wrinkles, 12 Jan 2013
I've had the D90 for about 3 years. I mainly bought it because it felt good in the hand unlike the Canons on offer at the time. I rejected the cheaper Nikons because the D90 would focus with more lenses due to having its own in-body focus motor, and because I liked the sound of Active D-Lighting. The camera is capable of good images, but I was initially disappointed with jpegs. The default sharpness of 3 is too low, and needs to be bumped up to about 5 or 6 if you don't want to sharpen in post process. Images looked "over exposed" on sunny days. Some pictures looked strangely flat, sort of 2D.
First the over exposure- The exposure is correct but the default brightness is set too high. This can be overcome by reducing the brightness in your chosen (neutral for me) picture control, as long as you don't have ADL set on, which over-rides brightness and contrast settings.If you want ADL on, an exposure compensation of -0.3 will do it.
Some exposures were really wrong, but this turned out to be due to using single point focus. The focus point choice influences the exposure, almost like spot metering. I was choosing a handy black stone (for instance) and so had an over exposed picture. If you want to use single point focus, switch to center weighted average metering, or pick something average in tone to focus on.
The flatness of some shots (gardens particularly)turned out to be ADL levelling out the lighting, and losing the feeling of depth. It also causes some overbright blockyness in highlight areas(white paint, shirts, cars etc),as some other reviewers have mentioned, on bright days. In fact I find ADL a tricky customer. Good in some shots, and bad in others. I ended up shooting RAW, and processing in Nikon's Capture NX2 where (if it's set on in camera) you can choose whether you want it on or not.
Very good camera, but not without it's wrinkles.