on 14 October 2008
I had to replace my ageing Bose Wave CD Radio, which went on the blink (dodgy CD player, and then it kept on switching itself to Kiss FM at high volume - even when off!). I would happily have bought another Bose, but this Roberts box seemed MUCH better value, including DAB radio, CD, and iPod dock, all of which work well. Like the Bose, the sound is not really hifi, and classical music can sound slightly boomy and/or harsh in the loud bits. However, like the Bose, the sound is very good for a box of this size, with remarkably good bass, and perfect for use in our kitchen (we use it mostly when cooking and washing up). I think the Bose sound was probably slightly better, but very little to choose between them. After a week's use, highly recommended.
22 comments|192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2008
I would highly recommend this music system. The sound is excellent and has a warm quality. Chose this over the Bose ipod dock as it has fm/dab radio (which is also fab quality) and cd. It is definitely value for money Have never used my ipod so much!
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2009
As others have said on here, the sound quality is great; warm, rich and clear on all settings.

The features are good, remote works well from all angles and it's nice to have Ipod, Dab and CD for those retro moments.

Ipod docking station is good, though a bit of guidance on which size adaptor should be used for your model wouldn't go a miss.
One thing with the docking station is that it only charges your Ipod in Ipod mode, in any other mode (Dab/CD) it drains the battery.
This means that if you forget to remove the Ipod and then listen to your DAB radio for a few days, your Ipod loses it's charge, when you then decide to listen to your ipod you have to wait about 10 minutes for it to recharge. Not ideal really.

Another couple of niggles, when it is in sleep or off mode there is a very high pitched constant tone which if was in your kitchen or other room, would be inaudible, but in a quiet room such as your bedroom is very irritating! This only stops when the player is on. I know I'm not alone with this as a friend has the same model and the same problem. When I raised this with Roberts Customer Services they acknowledged it was an issue with this model.

Last slight annoyance is the alarm function. Most DABS allow you to choose a specific station to wake up to. This alarm however will only play whatever the last station was set to. For me, I like to listen to 5Live before I go to sleep at night but that won't wake me up in the morning! I need a Commercial station or Radio 1 to bring me round! With this player it's not possible to do that which is unfortunate.

Overall, I really like this product, it looks good and sounds amazing. If they'd just sorted those issues I would have given it 5 stars...
on 20 November 2008
Obviously Roberts have pitched this as a budget Bose but frankly most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound quality. I think it's a well thought out piece of kit and good value, it sounds good, is compact and has a robust feel to it. It struggles a bit when played too loudly and it certainly won't replace my hi-fi but in a small room, kitchen, bedroom it's ideal, can't fault it, very pleased with it.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2010
Very excited to have received the Roberts MP43 DAB/iPod/CD player however the 5th CD I tried to play wouldn't work. Thought this was just a one-off and a faulty CD perhaps but having just tried a brand new CD, this one wouldn't play either. Called the Roberts Technical Helpline to be told it's a known issue that some CD's won't play because of the heavy security on the CD and that there's no fix...beautiful!!! Also the sound quality when the volume is high (unless the mode is Pop) is not great...was initially but now not overly impressed.
on 5 January 2009
I did a lot of research before I bought this system. I was trying to get a neat solution for my girl friend that would let her take full advantage of her ipod while still being able to play her CD collection. I wanted it to be a single box so that it didn't take up too much space and have lots of speaker wire.

Plus points:
Surprisingly good sound for an all-in-one unit, with a robust bass. For a moderate sized room, it fills the room well and doesn't distort as the volume goes up. Good EQ settings as well
Very good quality DAB reception
A remote control - very very useful for when you're still in bed in the morning, and it can advance through your ipod playlists
mp3 CD playback
Easy to use ipod dock built in on top. It charges the ipod, but only when you're in ipod mode

Interestingly, the things I had also explored but found I didn't need were the following:
Built in hard-disc and rip-CD-to-disc capability: most of the mass-market priced systems don't give you good options for ripping to hard disc - they rip at low bit rate and take a good amount of time. IMHO you're better off ripping on your computer and then cross-loading to your ipod
Internet radio. If you have a computer as well, you're far better off to pull up the radio on-screen and use your computer line-out to drive the Roberts unit. We did this watching French TV online. The picture and the sound coming from the Roberts unit were fantastic.

Overall: for what it is, it's great. It isn't going to be the stereo system for dancing to at a house party (I don't think) but it's great for everyday use and easy to use to boot.
on 21 February 2011
I bought the Roberts MP43 mostly based on the reviews that complimented it on the strength of its great sound and I must say that I was not disappointed.
The Roberts MP43 is a nice compact Radio/CD player which I rated as 4 stars and not 5 due to the fact that there are some things I do not like and if improved could make this as an excellent 5 star product.

Firstly the front control panel is of the touch type design, something I am not very keen about as I find it a bit too fiddly, sometimes being over responsive and sometimes under. I would have preferred a good old push button type. Moreover there are some feautures that you cannot access directly from the front panel (ex. the programmed radio stations) and you have to make use of the supplied remote control.

Some reviewers have mentioned the problem with the backlight of the unit and yes it really is a problem. Even if you dim it to the lowest setting it is still too bright in a darkened room. I use my unit in the bedroom and at night I have to cover it with a piece of cardboard as the backlight is still too bright and irritating. I cannot understand why Roberts do not make a setting to simply turn the backlight completely off.

Lastly the unit is also supplied with a headphone jack that is situated at the back of the unit. Frankly I find this as useless as the headphone jack should be situated on the front panel for ease of use.

All in all this is a very good product with excellent sound which after all is the most important thing.
on 30 January 2009
I bought this Roberts DAB as it seemed pretty much the only one on the market with DAB,ipod dock and mp3 capabilities. It is a fantastic looking radio with excellent sound. Set up could not have been easier - it automatically picked up the date and time, and found more radio stations than I have had time to explore. The ipod dock works fabulously. I am delighted with this purchase - excellent value for money. What more could you want? HIGHLY recommended.
on 21 March 2009
This is a superb system, I am not going to ramble on with specs etc. I am just going to say I cannot believe the quality this system creates for the price. This is a no brainer, ok it is not Bose but how could I justify spending £300 more and not really get anything more for my money. Excellent product, really really superb. Well done Roberts.
on 7 November 2011
Prior to buying the Roberts I was seriously considering purchasing a Bose at £600. Am I glad I plumped for the Roberts. Given the size of the unit the sound reproduction is excellent(my usual test is Bruch`s Violin Concerto No.1). The sound holds good at a volume sufficient to fill the room and there is the facility to adjust bass and treble. Set up and DAB tuning is a piece of cake and there are a number of other facilities which you may. or may not, use.
Short of a full Hi-Fi system or a Bose I doubt that there is anything on the market to compete with this unit.