4.0 out of 5 stars He's a hero isn't he?
A live-action Terry Pratchett movie is either doomed to fail in every way, or succeed in practically everything.

And "The Colour of Magic," adapted from the first two novels in Pratchett's brilliant Discworld series, is more the former than the latter. This one is no "Hogather" -- it has rather slack direction at times -- but it preserves Pratchett's wry...
Published on 7 Jun 2009 by E. A Solinas

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply doesn't work
I adore Terry Pratchett's books and recognise that translating them to film would alway to be a challenge - what can compare with the product of his writing and your own imagination? But Hogfather worked well and Going Postal wasn't too bad, considering it seemed rather low budget, especially in the special effects of creating the golems. But The Colour of Magic simply...
Published on 17 Oct 2010 by Pip Greville

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour of Magic, 17 Jun 2009
Mr. K. Willis (UK) - See all my reviews
This Terry Pratchett novel has been enjoyably transferred to the screen. Lots of fun and scampering about. Very enjoyable film for all the family, a must to see.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You're a Pratchett Fan, Buy This DVD, 21 Feb 2009
M. Lynn Walker "owlcroft" (Ritzville, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Okay, it's not the absolutely perfect gem that "Hogfather" is but what could be? "Colour of Magic" is more than watchable; it gives the Pratchett reader a different way to view the characters and the Discworld. Some of the special effects are amazing, others are so-so, but it's an enjoyable trip to Ankh-Morpork and beyond.

The casting has been a source of contention, but I must say Sean Astin worked better than I thought he would and Vetinari, Trymon, and Cohen were perfectly cast. Rincewind, well, we're just going to have to live with this one. All in all, it's a better than decent addition to the library and we're eagerly awaiting "Going Postal".

1.0 out of 5 stars The Colour of Magic, 10 Nov 2008
M. L. Whitehorn (High Hurstwood UK) - See all my reviews
I thought that The Hogfather was badly cut down when they tried to get a full length novel into a three hour film, but TWO full length novels?There is so much missing from the film that I had trouble understanding what was going on, and I have read both books more than once. My wife went to bed after about twenty minutes. The acting was poor and the casting, with the exception of the Patrician, who was on screen for less than ten minutes, was disasterous. Leave the casting to the fans - they know more than someone who obviously hasn't read the books. All in all it was just plain vandalism on what are quite brilliant books. What was Terry Pratchett thinking???

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Item., 21 Mar 2009
Helge Jellestad "Hel Jel" (Bergen, Norway) - See all my reviews
I orderd the two disk edition and got the one disk edition, for the two disk cost.
I was promised another disk for free but have not seen it yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny film ... like Hitchhiker's Guide of the Universe, 16 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Colour Of Magic [Blu-ray] [2008] (Blu-ray)
It's not an action movie. There is no romance. It's kind of slow. It's region B locked but you can play it on a computer with a Blu-Ray disc drive (by changing your software to region B). For some reason, it's rather difficult to start the film from the menu. There is no obvious "start movie" on the menu. This is especially frustrating become it comes in 2 parts. But if you like fantasy mixed with a dash of humor, then it may appeal to you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Destroyed by poor casting, 24 Aug 2010
Margaret Gallagher (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As a Pratchett fan of 20 years' standing I was quite excited to have the opportunity to see his work brought to the screen, albeit somewhat emasculated, as you always get with books being adapted. But the casting choice for Rincewind totally destroyed it for me and I will never buy this DVD.

Sean Astin - yes - he makes a pretty good Twoflower. Tim Curry - yes, he's OK too, although a bit on the hammy side.

But David Jason??? He is totally NOT Rincewind - he just didn't get it at all, not the voice, not the personality - nothing. Totally ruined the whole thing.

His other work may be fine - but most definitely not this...

3.0 out of 5 stars still dont like them, 1 Dec 2008
Stephen F. Wilkins (Seascale Cumbria) - See all my reviews
as a reader of all the discworld books i have never liked the first two and after watching the film i still dont,the story such as it is, is to me too disjointed,but i couldnt fault the efforts of the actors especially David Jason, who as usual put his heart and soul into the role,there are much, much better discworld stories and i pray that they can be filmed, so summing up,it was a good effort but i still find the two books unreadable

3.0 out of 5 stars Twices was enough!!, 18 Aug 2009
Mr. R. Brown "Plasma" (Great Malvern UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Colour Of Magic [Blu-ray] [2008] (Blu-ray)
Never heard of Terry Pratchett or his stories, I just wanted to try out my new TVs HD spec. to see if it was all it was trumped up to be. I had no problems on that score the Panasonic BluRay through the Samsung TV gave The Colour Of Magic top marks for picture quality. In essence superb.
Trouble was I was so excited about the picture quality I forgot to rate the film.
My grandson put me straight by demanding to watch it again. This we did as a family. The result was that only my wife, who can be judged as to her critical abilities by the fact she watches East Enders regularly, managed to watch it through without a fidget of some kind. My grandson lost interest around halfway. I fell asleep, and my daughter visited the kitchen at every opportunity to make herself some tea.

Apart from some good cameo performances the plot was too long winded and without real substance. Sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars undecided, 12 Feb 2009
Mr. R. G. Wake (uk) - See all my reviews
I am not sure what was it was all about, I did not like the break in the middle to show all the credits
in fact I would NOT RECOMMEND IT, for it is not what it was blown up to be?

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad disc, 18 Mar 2009
I bought one copy...and the second disc with the additional features was faulty and it wouldn't play.
I bought a second AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED!
I only discovered this after the return date so I've wasted my hard-earned cash!
Drat!

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

The Colour Of Magic [Blu-ray] [2008]
The Colour Of Magic [Blu-ray] [2008] by Vadim Jean (Blu-ray - 2008)
10.28