on 29 November 2008
This is a terrible printer. I have been riddled with problems right from the outset. I ordered this when it was £60 on amazon. I received it the next day and I was impressed. It looked stylish and appeared to be of a good quality. The first problem I encountered was installing the software on my imac (It comes with both windows and mac software). The software was very poor, it would not install properly and constantly used up 100% of my processor( runaway tasks).

Secondly, the printer is not as advertised as an "all in oner printer" It in fact comes with an edimax usb wifi print server. The software, again, was having problems. It would not recognise my BT HomeHub. I had to dig out my old router. In order to print, you must first connect to the edimax adapter and activate the printer. The router must be activated before the pc and the printer or it will not work at all. The Print server software was the worst drain on resources.

Thirdly, the paper tray is extremely flimsy. It for some reason will not feed paper straight so therefore prints diagonally.

fourthly, the scanner unit is not flat. It is at a small angle so any document you put in the unit will slip out before the lid is closed. This is just due to the shape of the printer. The quality of scans is off as well.

fifthly, the unit has now stopped responding to ink. It refuses to print and instead displays a message stating that the ink cartridges are not recognised. It had been fine and suddenly stopped.

And finally, the print quality is inferior to any printer I have used before. the colours are dull and dingy. The unit has problems printing, it vibrates rapidly and is far from silent. The replacement ink costs nearly as much as the unit itself.

This was a waste of money even at £60. It has since been returned to amazon and I will consider my options.

TIP : (This unit is just the sx400 with the print server so don't buy the 400 either)
on 8 November 2008
Please beware of purchasing.

This printer does not have inbuilt wireless.

It comes with a separate component - a edimax usb wireless box which requires an additional power supply (included). But really this is two devices packed into one box.

I wished to buy an all in one product as advertised which included wifi as a feature. This is not the case unless you do not mind yet another transformer/power lead. Disappointing. Description should say this.
22 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2008
This printer has been a nightmare to set up.After many talks with Epson on line chat i finally got it working.The manual seems fine but they have left so much out that you need to know. To let you all know,you have to set it up on each individual printer(taking the printer to that pc) to get it working across a network.this means taking it to every pc you have, connecting it up running the software(30 mins minimum)then adding the print server.I was really fed up by the end of all this.
The printer itself is great and also the scanner.Oh why oh why make it so complicated.Think i should have gone with another make.So i would do some research before buying a wifi unit.Look at the manual online.Oh bye the way Epson at present do not have any information on there site about the WIFI model.
66 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2009
Why oh why didn't I read these reviews before I purchased!? As with the previous reviews I have found the wifi setup impossible so much so that 1 week after purchase I still haven't got it sorted. Go for a different product and save yourself alot of hassle.
on 11 February 2009
Got mine last night, really quick delivery.

I hadn't read the reviews but agree with others about setup issues.

The individual print server is a big dissappointment and at one point needs you to have your PC, hub and printer all connected together. Doesn't sound like much but it meant having to unplug my BT home hub which meant the phones wern't working while I messed about.

The print server wasn't recognised by the PC initially. Aborted the install then tried again. Took ages to find it the second time then disconnected itself after 30 seconds. I've played with some settings and it seems OK now.

I'm not happy with the installation and will be uninstalling and reinstalling tonight, then I've a second PC to install it on, which means carrying everything into another room.

Thought it would be easier than that. Hopefully once everything is sorted I'll be happy with having everything wireless.
on 19 January 2009
As with the other reviews, I too had lots of trouble installing this unit. Firstly it took ages to recognise the print server which I eventually got working. Printing then worked OK until it suddenly stopped - I will now have to re-install in order to get it to work. On the whole I have always been impressed with Epson products - they have always been top quality and easy to install. I may give up and go for another model/brand.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2009
Just helped a friend install this. The software is terrible. Basically, not only is the hardware wireless connection physically separate from the printer, the software for the two was clearly written by different people at different times who never talked to each other.
~
It's not just at installation time. When running with the printer shared between computers, you have to 'claim' the printer connection to your computer each time before the printing will work. There is no attempt by the printer software automatically to claim the connection.
~
Not sure what the printer and scanner are like if used directly connected and not shared ~ if that is what you want save £30 and go for the non WiFi edition.
on 15 February 2009
The installation is nigh on impossible if you do not have quite advanced knowledge of computing evidenced by the fact that I tried and failed. I have installed several other printers without any problems. The fault here is that the port to the printer is managed by a little fellow called the MFP Manager who has to get involved every time you print and there is nothing in the instructions to warn you of this. When you have two or more printers connected (and why else would you really want a wireless printer) this little MFP man controls everything and you have to scurry around between computers to see if he's opened or closed the ports as all other ports need to be closed to operate the printer from your port. There isn't even a message to tell you that other ports may or may not be open. It might be OK if other computers are switched off but it certainly isn't if they are in sleep mode.

I know nothing about computers but I do know enough to know that you will need help and even when you get it up and running you will be irritated by this tedious operation which should have been completely written out of the software.

If anyone has a solution to overcoming this I would very much like to hear about it.

In the meantime all I have to say is that Epson are contravening the Trade Descriptions Act and that the product should be taken off the market in the UK and any other country that has similar legislation.
on 25 February 2009
I bought this printer because I needed a wireless one, and ever since I have had it, it has not worked properly and was a waste of money, the printer will work connected up to a usb on the computer but will not work wireless on its own so a waste of good money
on 2 June 2009
Epson Stylus SX405 WiFi Edition All In One Printer

The wireless function of this is just useless, and the 'suport' on the Epson website is non existant, for this problem, which is obviously common. As previous reviews have said, the only way I can get this printer to work is via a USB, & if I'd wanted that I wouldn't have paid extra for a wireless. Again, as a previous review has said, why didn't I read the reviews?

See one answered question