5.0 out of 5 stars just the job
Published on 31 Aug. 2009 by M. Leonard

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with mac
after looking at a wide selection of USB sound cards to use with my Mac, i opted for this one.
Published 23 months ago by Itsnevertoolate

5.0 out of 5 stars just the job, 31 Aug. 2009
M. Leonard (basingstoke uk.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: StarTech.com USB Stereo Audio Adapter External Sound Card (Personal Computers)
After a complete system restore my pc decided that it didn't want to recognize the sound card drivers,(being a bit of a computer virgin i was flummoxed, after some time i came across an ad for external sound cards didn't know what to expect, the reviews for this particular sound card were good so i thought i would give it a go, wish i had done it earlier, the result was great, didn't even have to use the cd rom, just plugged and played. GREAT.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent addition, 17 July 2009
I bought the StarTech USB stereo audio adapter when I was having problems with my WindowsXP audio systemm. Plugged it in and was ready to go. Amazing device. I went for the StarTech due to the reviews and I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome. I haven't tried the cheaper alternatives.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with mac, 10 Jun. 2013
I wanted to record to be able to record directly into my laptop using in-line but there was a hissing sound all the way through the recordings and i could not hear the voice. I has adjusted my settings, online chat with the technical team at star.tech who were very good but could not resolve the problem.
It was perfect for connecting headphones but for in-line it was not.
Maybe its not a sound card that i need but another device so i'm not sure whether the device is faulty or maybe it was not the right device for connecting an in-line mic.
The customer service from star-tech is excellent and provided good support, this is why i gave it 3 stars but for the product itself for recording i'm not sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built, easy to use, great sound quality., 16 Aug. 2013
Bought this adapter to add sound capabilities to a HP MicroServer. Have bought StarTech products in the past, and have never been disappointed. This product upholds my opinion that they produce quality kit at reasonable prices.

Sure, you can buy cheaper USB audio adapters, but I tried several, and they just weren't reliable. You might be paying a bit extra, but you can see where the extra money goes. For example, this unit comes with a short USB extender cable, so you haven't got to worry about knocking the adapter and snapping it off when plugged into the computer. The whole process was just plug and play, as Windows 7 has suitable drivers built in.

If you want a quick and easy way to add audio to a PC, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Startech usb Sound Card - has transformed the audio capability of my Sony Vaio, 16 Oct. 2014
I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software to speed up my work - the headphones and mic that they supplied with the software were simple jack type and worked off the sound card in the computer. The software was not satisfactory and when I looked into it I was told that I ideally needed a usb mic and headphone set as voice recognition software never works well with bullt in sound cards. I looked at the price of a good usb mic head set and found they were very expensive - then a little bird tapped on my window and told me about external usb sound cards and how good the star tech external sound card was - after reading rave reviews I bought one - and WOW! what a difference - Dragon Naturally speaking is working like a dream and I now finish my work several hours earlier! and the sound output and quality of the computer using the star tech card is unrecognizably better ( and my laptop is a high quality Sony Viao in the first place!!)

I would recommend this to anyone - my husband and son have now ordered one each - the difference in performance between the laptop without the star tech usb external sound card and the laptop with the startech usb external sound card is truly amazing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Product okay - if you know how to fix it., 16 May 2010
The sound created by the Startech 7.1 USB Audio External Sound Card is okay, though it has a bit of a hollow sound. It doesn't provide any software to control sound quality.

I almost returned it because the sound suddenly went to trash after a few minutes of use - constant static and garbled sound. However, I decided to check out the company's website to see if there might be an updated driver for my Vista system. There was, and after installation the sound is as described above.

The product is acceptable, but nothing more than that. If you want the ability to control bass or treble, try different effects - or anything that requires software, forget it. The fact that the most current driver isn't included is not good, and that they don't even tell you that you should upgrade it or where to go to get the upgrade is inadequate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware Toslink claim, 23 Sept. 2010
The card works well in most of the claimed ways, though the analogue microphone input is rather noisy. However, if, like me, you are attracted by the 'Toslink input and output' you should know that the 'input' is not a true input to the system but merely a loop-through to the Toslink output. You cannot offer an input to the computer via this connection.
I suggested to the supplier that they should modify their widely quoted information to make it clear that this is not a true input, but so far I have seen no evidence of this happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little gadget, 15 Jun. 2011
Having purchased an internal sound card recently from somewhere else, I was a little concerned that this would work properly. I wanted to connect my Desktop PC to a 7.1 HT System using the TOSLINK and the sound card only supported 2 channels via this connector.

However, this USB Sound Card works a dream.

I initially plugged it into a Windows 7 based Laptop and it installed everything first time. A reboot was required and I was quickly able to play some music & films using the full 7.1 surround sound.

The next task was to check out this sound card with my desktop PC which has Windows XP. This initially installed the Windows drivers for a USB Sound Card which didn't support 7.1 channels on the TOSLINK. Once I realised that this was the issue I ran the installation program on the supplied CD ROM and the correct drivers are now installed and it works just fine. Page 4 of the manual identifies the chipset used (C-Media CM6206) in case you have a problem finding the driver.

Again I can play music & films and all the channels are used.

I have briefly tested the other output sockets (headphone & surround outputs) and these all appear to be working. I have yet to use the two microphone sockets to see how good they are at capturing stereo sound.

The LED on the device is useful. It flashes slowly when sound is being received, which is a good indicator if you are having configuration problems. The volume & mute controls work too.

As for the quality, I've had no problem with this on the TOSLINK output. I no longer have a surround sound that would use the 3.5mm sockets, but may use it if at a friend's home, so I can't comment on their performance at this stage.

Overall I am very happy with this product. It has done just what I wanted and works well. It definitely works with both Windows XP & 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars StarTech USB stereo adapter, 16 April 2011
after reading lots of reviews about usb stereo devices I took the gamble and bought this one. The gamble paid off for one of my colleagues bought a cheaper usb stereo and it didn't last too long. Works with Windows XP without any problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Easily broken., 8 Dec. 2010
Just through normal use I found that after several weeks the usb connection in this device became loose in it's plastic casing, and eventually broke off in my laptop, my advice is to avoid this product. You get what you pay for I suppose.