1,056 Reviews

1,376 of 1,390 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!
I looked at, and tried, lots of the better reviewed kettles before finally buying this one. I previously had a Breville JK115 Lightning, which to be fair was an excellent kettle and lasted almost 5 years before starting to leak (plastic seemed to be disintegrating and it was taking longer to boil!).
The Philips HD4671/20 looks smart (for a kettle) and the handle is...
Published on 25 Sep 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Good to start with, but could end up potentially dangerous
I've owned two of these kettles; the original was bought in July 2010 from Amazon, & the second was a replacement received from Philips in May 2012 due to the first unit developing (what I consider to be) a dangerous fault.

I'm writing because the replacement kettle has recently developed the same problem, so as much as I like the kettle for it's fast boiling,...
Published 22 months ago by J. Creasey

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Kettle, 10 April 2009
Russ (Dursley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HD4671/20 Brushed Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre (Kitchen & Home)
Looks good and boils quickly with not too much noise. It seems to be strong and well made and is easy to use. The cup measures on the side must be for smaller cups than ours so we always have to put a bit more than it says but you very soon get to know how much you will need. We did notice a little bit of a "plastic" taste at first so I recommend giving it a REALLY good flushing out and boiling a few times before making that first cup of tea. I rate it as a bargain and would have another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product., 12 May 2009
EF Pell (Skelmersdale, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
My old kettle was looking it's age,so I decided to look what was on offer.I decided to look for mid priced kettle from a proven manufacturer. Initially,I discounted the Philips HD4671 on the basis that I had been for some time only boiling water in my old kettle for my exact needs and using my mug to measure the amount I needed. The economy claims of the Philips kettle design seemed a bit of a gimmick. However,I liked the look of the kettle and I kept coming back to it. I placed the order and I have found the kettle first rate. Furthermore,the marking of the water level window in cups is actually anything but a gimmick. it works for me.
A good looking kettle,it performs speedily and hence I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works well for us, 30 April 2009
A Kid's Review
- easy to fill, although can't see gauge if filling through lid rather than the spout option
- not too noisy
- boils quickly
- not too heavy
- looks sleek

- cup symbols pointless gimmick

3.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted, 21 April 2009
Anna Tolley (UK) - See all my reviews
We've had this product for less than a month and all of a sudden it stopped working. Maybe we're just unlucky, especially with kettles recently. Otherwise whilst in use we found it easy to operate and liked the fact you could limit the amount of water boiled for 1/2 cups etc. We now have to go through the inconvenience of having the kettle replaced but will go for the same model to see if the next one fares better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best kettle, 24 Nov 2009
B. McFann "Poppy" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This is the best kettle I've ever had and I had a few over the years. Every day when I use it I think I really got value for money. The best feature of it is the lid which opens all the way with the push of a button. It's very convenient and the water boils in no time at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for hard water, 26 July 2011
Audrey Sawyer (England) - See all my reviews
Although it's a very quick boiling kettle I can't recommend it for hard water areas like Stamford where I live. The kettle has an inner lining with lots of ridges and ledges, all of which attract limescale, and because it has a top inner ridge, it's almost impossible to tip the loose limescale out and get it clean. It's also much heavier than other models I have owned, so if you have arthritis in your hands as I have, choose another model!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looks, a relief to find a reliable kettle, bit heavy, 29 April 2009
Julie Cutler (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Once bitten, twice shy. I've waited a month to review this kettle. I was a bit too quick off the mark with its predecessor, a Breville, which shorted itself to death.

This is well made. A little heavy because it's quite broad so more water is in contact with the base. I'm not too sure that it's suitable for little old ladies. I'm a bit puzzled whether the blue light on the switch is malfunctioning or it's a reheat indicator. At least it doesn't interfere with the action of the kettle and it has a very postive switch on.

One of the important things to check with metal kettles is the construction of the electrified base. The Breville had a metal top (ssszzzzz) whereas this is sensibly designed with non conductive black plastic.

I'm in a soft water area so the fill doesn't really affect me- there's a filter to catch hard water. Looks wise it's stayed nice, and it doesn't look half as "beaky" as it does in its picture.

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic window became brittle and broke, 1 May 2011
Had this kettle for just over a year and the plastic 'window' strip on the lid has cracked. When I had a look, all the plastic had become brittle and just broke off into the kettle. Very disappointed. Sometimes I think you're just better off buying the cheapest appliance you can - how much you pay is simply not reflected in how long things last.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good buy, 24 Mar 2012
We were very impressed with the speed of delivery of this kettle, it came the day after we ordered it but thats as far as it goes. It gave a horrible plastic taste to the water and although that can be expected for a few boils it's still there 10 days later. Plus the lid mechanism is faulty, you are supposed to push the button and the lid pops up. Well, sometimes it pops up fully, sometimes half way but mostly it stubbornly sits there and you have to prise the lid away from the kettle with your nails! I thought with the majority of reviews being positive people were just splitting hairs when they gave a negative report, how wrong I was and apologies to those I didn't believe. This is a dreadful kettle and its going back. Don't buy, you have been warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Tea Vicar?, 5 April 2009
We previously had the pleasure of two Breville Kettles that decided to self destruct; one prior too and one after the Guarantee date. They rebelled against the gallons of tea we drink and just repeatedly blew out the trip switch on the mains.(Leaking from the side I think) The first one was replaced under warranty the second had a state burial at the local tip following a swift kick in the spout.

The Philips is definitely an improvement. Quieter, faster and better looking. The only gripe so far is the spring lid. It's just a bit feeble and doesn't open to the full diameter without a bit of prompting.You can however fill it through the spout instead. It's early days yet, but from the other kettles we looked at to replace the useless Breville's the Philips HD 4671 is a good choice.