5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kettle Ever

1.0 out of 5 stars great at first then leaked, update 2013
Published on 25 Mar 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kettle Ever, 26 Nov 2008
K. Prior - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips HD4644/00 White Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre (Kitchen & Home)
I have had this kettle for about two months now and it's the best I've ever owned. The build quality is excellent for the price. The lid is chunky and easy to open/close, the spout pours perfectly, the material of the body is glossy and high quality looking and never gets hot. The kettle sits snugly in its base. The on/off switch lights up orangey red when kettle is on. It's a well balanced kettle, very comfortable to hold and pour. The one cup ( 300ml ) feature is excellent, and this boils from cold in 59 seconds, no waiting around! Its not the noisiest or the quietest, copeable noise level. The water level gauge is on both sides of the kettle, so good for left or right handed people. Very well thought out and designed product.

Edited on 23 October 2010 to add - wow time flies, I didn't realise Id had this kettle over two years now. Just wanted to say that the kettle still looks like new, performs as well as ever and best of all, the markings on it haven't faded with me cleaning it! Still love this kettle!

(updated my edit from Dec 2009)

Edited on 13 December 2011 while doing Christmas shopping. Kettle still working perfectly, like new.

1.0 out of 5 stars great at first then leaked, update 2013, 25 Mar 2012
I bought this kettle in Oct 09. I had an ecokettle before this that leaked within 10 months so was looking for something a bit more reliable. At first this kettle was great. It boils quickly and was easy to keep clean. However, it has now started leaking badly into the base where the electric components are. Not great. Is it really beyond the capacity of new kettle designers to build one that keeps the water INSIDE.

Having read all the different reviews on Amazon, I went for this kettle again, since nothing else seemed to have as many positive reviews. This one lasted from Oct 2012 to March 2013. Again, leaked all over the electric base. Dangerous,and now will ot turn off automatically. Do not buy this kettle, even if it does boil quickly, it doesn't last and the dangers from it not switching off due to water in the electrical components speaks for itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, easy-to-use, well built kettle that does its job, 2 Sep 2009
When my third Kenwood traditional-style kettle in as many years finally gave up the ghost, I succumbed to the fact that I would finally have to buy (yuk!) a jug kettle and looked around. I don't like jug kettles usually as I am disabled and I find it much easier to hold a traditional-type kettle whilst filling at the tap. But I've found it harder & harder to find a traditional type kettle that suits me.

I picked this kettle because from the description & customer reviews it seemed to fit best what I was looking for:

1-Easy to open, fill & pour.

2-Energy efficient. I am the only tea/coffee drinker in the house so rarely need more than one cup's worth of water.

3-Clear water level indicator on BOTH sides (handy as I am left-handed, my husband right)

4-NOT stainless steel. They look geat in shops/pictures/show homes but in reality a nightmare for showing smudgy finger marks. Trust me on this, unless you're the sort of person who thinks buffing a kettle each day is a good use of time.

5-Good quality, built to last more than a year (Kenwood,take note please)

The only other Philips kettle I've owned was a wedding present in 1992 and lasted us 12 years, so I'm hoping this one is at least half as good. So far, I'm very pleased with it. It may not be a style icon, but personally I like its sturdy- no-nonsense look and feel. Although it is plastic, it does not look or feel too 'cheap'.
Good chunky On/Off flick-switch which is easy to see and to use for those with dexterity issues. This lights up red when switched on. It's a good size, not too heavy for me when full, the lid is easy to open to fill (which I prefer) but it can also be filled from the spout. Easy to wipe clean. Boils VERY rapidly compared to my last kettle. Pours well, no drips or spills. Any excess cord can be coiled and stored in the base, which is a good safety feature.

Some people have mentioned a funny taste to the water from this kettle. I haven't had this problem at all, but I did follow the instructions to rinse out, then fill & boil the kettle once before first use. Nor have I had the problem someone mentioned with condensation obscuring the water level. I find it very easy to read.

All in all a very good basic jug kettle. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started leaking after 13 months, 8 Jun 2010
Graham Jones (Scotland) - See all my reviews
It worked fine for just over a year, but has now started leaking. I see several others are reporting the same problem. Since the water leaks into the place where the electrics are, I think this is a serious failure.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaky kettle, 22 Aug 2012
Started using this kettle less than 8 months ago and noticed that it started leaking a recently. No problems with how the kettle boils, etc but definitely would not recommend it to anyone because of the leak.

2.0 out of 5 stars safety flaw, 2 Feb 2010
joey (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
Perfectly good kettle to start with. After about 8 months I thought I'd been dripping water onto base as I put kettle on it. After another month, the base would be full of water after the kettle had been standing overnight.There was obviously a leak from the base of the kettle. The replacement kettle only took 6 months until it started leaking. Now on the look out for another kettle. The problem is, most reviews are written soon after purchase and don't really give you a chance to see if a problem develops later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and no tainted taste to the water, 10 May 2009
C. Drinkwater (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
After reading J. Mather's review about the taste of the water coming out of his kettle being tained by the plastic, I nearly didn't buy this kettle.
However, I'm glad that I did.
I've only had my new kettle a few days (an HD4644/00 - white), but I'm glad I bought it.
The boiled water that comes out of my kettle tastes fine.
The water level indicator measured in cups is good, and acurate.
The kettle sits well on its base.
The on switch at the base of the kettle is easy to use.
The kettle is much quieter than my last one (a Tefal Express)
The design is attractive and the lid is easy to open. Its a pop-up lid, but you have to lift it by hand using the white lip on the lid. I dont find it difficult to do at all, but I wouldnt advise it for anyone who has significant problems with weakness or manoeverability in their hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right!, 28 Nov 2008
I bought this to replace an Eco Kettle which sadly only lasted 1 year and about 3 weeks. This one is very easy to use, boils quickly, is quite sturdy and has a 2 year guarantee. It pours neatly, no splashing. If I could change one thing about it I would make the trim any colour other than grey, but that's not much of a complaint really - functionally, it is just right (it's also a nice shape and sits snugly into its little base!). The Amazon price was by far the best around so I'm very pleased with my efficient little bargain, thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Philips Kettle For The Price!, 11 April 2010
Janey1966 "Jane" (Carlisle, England, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the Philips cordless kettle on behalf of my Mum who - previously had a Morphy Richards Opera 2 from another site. Unfortunately, my Dad would insist on filling the kettle from the cup into the large spout and Mum said she would ban him from using the Philips if he behaved this way again!

Her "threat" has worked, mainly due to the smaller spout on the Philips model so he has no choice now but to take the kettle to the tap, which is what normal people do!

I stayed with Mum this week so I had a chance to test the kettle out for myself. I must say, it is brilliant. Compact, easy to use and clean, it is made of two-tone plastic in shiny white and matt grey with an ergonomic handle on the top to lift the lid if you so wish. The larger handle on the back is also ergonomic and the kettle itself is not heavy, even with water in it. The gauge is easy to read (on both sides) so it is impossible to overfill this kettle as the gauge makes it easy to make one cup, two cups and so on.

To start the kettle there is a little lever at the bottom which is moved downwards. There is a light within the lever which shines once the kettle is boiling the water. Once the water is boiled the light goes out and the lever clicks. It is very quiet, unlike the previous Morphy Richards.

I do like the base on this kettle which curves upwards so the kettle fits neatly into it.

Mum was worried that I ordered this kettle online but I can honestly say that - even though it is cheaper than a load of other kettles Mum has had over the years (both online and from shops) she is extremely pleased with it.

This kettle cannot be faulted. You will not be disappointed and delivery - as always from Amazon, was swift.

Mum paid £14 or so for this kettle which I think has been replaced by a similar one that is now more expensive. However, whatever price you pay for this kettle it will be worth it. When my Morphy Richards Opera One kettle (that I have reviewed on Amazon) gives up the ghost I shall have no hesitation in replacing it with the Philips Energy Efficient Kettle.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect cuppa, 2 Jan 2010
Mr. James A. Long "Jimbo's Lair" (Blackpool,England) - See all my reviews
I searched for a decent kettle and was so surprised to find the more expensive they were,the worse the review.I eventually saw this very reasonably priced kettle with a good review and read more about it.Seems quite nice.Quick boil ? Ok - I will risk it and hope it is better than the others.I've had it a couple of weeks and it is probably the best kettle I've ever bought.The whole feel and design is excellent and yes it really does boil very quick.I highly recommend this for anyone who wants the perfect cuppa... and it doesn't look cheap.Very stylish.The picture doesn't do it justice.