5.0 out of 5 stars lush, haunting journey

5.0 out of 5 stars lush, haunting journey, 30 Aug. 2010
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memory House (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Max Richter album, for the simple reason that there is a greater consistency and overall integration of the individual pieces, than on his other albums. The rising/falling keening refrain is classic Richter, achieved by a combination of warmly luscious piano chords, the plaintive, yearning tones of violin/viola, and an unobtrusive string backdrop, and lodges in the head and heart long after you've listened to it. It is unashamedly emotional music, steeped in unfulfilled longing, and delivered in luscious, rich textures. Given its direct appeal to the heart, its music to fall in love with very quickly. Perhaps the only downside to all of this is that over-indulgence can lead to the necessity to limit your exposure (as with rich chocolate cake?), as too much richness can prove cloying. Once you've explored Richter's various albums, or want to explore something new and more adventurous, try Gorecki's 3rd Symphony on Naxos Górecki - Symphony No 3; Olden Style Pieces Harold Budd's 'Abandoned Cities' The Serpent (in Quicksilver) / Abandoned Cities or Karaindrou: Ulysses' Gaze Original Soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK] What a wonderful sound world is waiting out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Mr Richter, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Memory House (Audio CD)
I came across Max Richter accidentally when my son left The Blue Notebooks CD in my car. This hooked me immediately with its uncanny ability to relax me and help my mind meander off in interesting and unexpected directions. I subsequently bought several of his other albums, including this one. All are wonderful pieces of music which I have listened to again and again without tiring of them, but Memoryhouse is my favourite. In my mind it is the one that comes together most as a whole, and I particularly enjoy the variation created by the more dense orchestration in some use of the pieces in comparison to the other albums. Sarajevo for instance, builds to a wonderful, short, blast of emotion, before bringing you gently back down again, and Last Days just sweeps you away from the first few notes. It would not be wrong to say that my life has been enhanced by the accidental discovery of Mr Richter's wonderful musical gifts and I cannot recommend this album enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Memory House: A Subjective View, 4 Feb. 2003
PETER JAMES "Snapperfisch" (Coventry, West Mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoryhouse (Audio CD)
This is an album that starts from its cover. A railway line and station somewhere in Europe. Title "The Memory House." Black and white, bleak. My mother came from Austria. She lived under the occupation of the Russians and the first track invokes this bleakness rain and all. The poem, Russian? Moving, raising the emotions, what is she saying? What journey is the composer taking us on? So many unanswered questions.
This beautiful album became personal very quickly with its silky changing moods. The music is thought provoking. Be ready to grit your teeth. Let the music take you anywhere you want with its startling nuances. Listen for the Mahler drum! and when the journey is over take time to look at the photograph once more. A memory house; a museum for conversation. Truely some great music from Max Richter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leicester Bangs Review (2009):, 14 April 2011
Leicester Bangs "words-R-us" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memory House (Audio CD)
Max Richter - Memoryhouse (FatCat / 130701)
Originally released on the BBC's Late Junction label back in 2002, Max Richter's Memoryhouse is a collection of classical pieces, recorded with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra. Fortunately (for me...) the feel and tone of these recordings can easily be compared to contemporary post-rock and will probably appeal to fans of both Phillip Glass and A Silver Mt. Zion, together with any number of bands more interested in layers of sound and atmosphere rather than the whole verse, chorus, verse malarkey.

The music on Memoryhouse is sometimes spacious and sparse, and at other times quite dense, though thoroughly accessible throughout. Richter may not be interested in tunes to be whistled but he never forgets to involve the listener, whether through huge, soaring passages or the tiniest of details. I like it a lot. 9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary debut album, 25 Jun. 2002
D Scheinmann (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoryhouse (Audio CD)
This album defies categorisation. It breaks down the barriers between genres and should simply be classified as great music. In this respect Max Richter should be considered along side the likes of Nitin Sawhney. There are moments in this album where I found myself moved to tears as in the extraordinary track Sarajevo which builds and builds until the full tragedy of that war torn city seemed to leap out and enfold me. Some tracks wash over you like a refreshing stream a bit like the best Cafe Del Mar chill out albums and then there's the kind of stuff that you might find in a tense pacy thriller; film makers would die for it.
Memoryhouse comes from the soul, and it certainly stirs the soul when you listen to it. The more you play it the deeper it seems to go. It's my favourite new album and well worth buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great music - poor pressing, 28 May 2014
Sadly I waited beyond the 30 day return period to listen to this. I had several LPs on order and wanted to go thru them all together in an evenings extravaganza. That will teach me. Richters music sails the hight of lows of emotion and volume. This is one of the worst pressings I have ever had the misfortune to own - pops, crackles aplenty. It must be part of a bad batch as there are 2 other similar reviews. I think It should have been recalled. Amazon - it you are listening: contact me. I am so disappointed, were it not for the CD version I own, I would cry.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl edition - ABYSMAL, 28 Aug. 2014
Fatcat records, who issued the supposedly DMM quality pressing, should be ashamed of themselves. This pressing of this beautiful music is a total piece of crap, it crackles throughout and is the worst piece of vinyl in my collection. It is completely and utterly dreadful and not worth having and as far as I am concerned it is rip off.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Requiem for the 20th Century, 26 Jun. 2004
Michael Joseph (Herts, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memoryhouse (Audio CD)
Brings tears to my eyes - is the photo of one of the stations serving a concentration camp? It could be.
It is bleak, moving and unforgettable. When I heard part of it on the radio for the first time it gave me one of those 'what IS that?' moments. Only ever had that twice before: with Verdi's requiem and one particular piece of Bach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why has Late Junction discontinued 'Memoryhouse'????, 7 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Memoryhouse (Audio CD)
I have been searching for weeks to obtain a copy of Max Richter's "Memoryhouse". I thought "The Blue Notebooks" was a stunning CD, and I can't understand why the label Late Junction would not have the smarts to market "Memoryhouse" hot on the heels of the success of Richter's second album. It is highly unfortunate that this CD has been discontinued after less than 3 years in release. I hope someone comes to their senses and re-releases this much neglected album.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful pressing., 27 Jan. 2014
C. lawson "claws-on" (UK) - See all my reviews
Very excited to get my copy of this reissue LP today but unfortunately, when I came to play it, it's so badly pressed there was more crackle and pop than music. As Richter's work is very quiet and atmospheric this is a real problem and so it has gone straight back to Amazon. A real shame.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Memory House
Memory House by Max Richter (Audio CD - 2013)