Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 2 September 2010
This is dead easy to put together, all the bits are there, including a teeny tiny screwdriver for the teeny tiny screws that are easy to lose, but they do give you a spare one in case you drop one on the carpet.

It even comes with a swish leather case, something my much more expensive WD passport drive didn't have...

After that it's just a case of plugging it in.

It comes with a power lead for people who don't have powered USB ports but as that terminates in a USB plug it's next to useless.

It also comes with some software on a mini CD, but don't bother with it, the thing is just a storage device. Keep it simple...
1010 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2009
Does what it says on the tin. I needed to rescue files from a defunct laptop and I had them all backed up to my PC within 48 hours of ordering the caddy. Case appears strong enough and has not got even warm whilst running.
on 22 February 2010
DO not hesitate to buy this product! I know it is reasonabvly priced, but It looks amazing, and it is made antirelly from metal which helps your drive to be always nice and cool!

Extremely easy to assemble with clear instructions.

I would recommend this one to all my friends!
on 17 May 2009
I bought this product after I upgraded my PS3 from a 40GB to a 320GB HDD. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to sell on the old HDD I researched into the field of SATA 2.5 inch enclosures. It seems that the majority of these enclosures fufil the same criteria, they are cheap and function as intended. The pricier options tend to be more aestheitcally pleasing or provide other blinking LED lights.

The product is nicely packaged and comes with a case (abeit rather cheap in nature), a mini USB to two USB cable, the enclosure, a disk, a small instruction manual and 3 tiny screws and a small screwdriver.

The installation of the SATA HDD into the enclosure is rather difficult. The enclosure is made of two parts, the casing and the front end which connects the drive into the ports. Having no technical knowledge in the field of computers or computer parts this whole procedure was alien to me. Thankfully it is rather easy, despite the less than clear manual. The casing is a very tight fit for the drive and at times I was worried that the drive may be damaged whilst I was installing it. However with a little patience the drive will fit very snuggly into the casing. You will only need two of the screws to fix the enclosure in place, leaving one of the screws as a spare.

The instructions were of very little use in terms of formatting the drive. After some searching online I found the correct protcol.

Windows XP users
1) Plug your new portable HDD into your computer with the supplied USB cable

2) The computer will recognise the HDD and go through the motions of installation of a new piece of hardware, until the "your new hardware has been installed sucessfully".

3) Access "Computer Management" by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and selecting "manage". Under "Storage" is an option for "Disk management".

4) Clicking on this will show any disks that the computer is currently using and any disks that are attached. The new disk should be of X GB depending upon the size of the SATA HDD. Right click the drive and choose "Format". NTFS is the only selectable option if the drive is too large. Fear not as it is relatively simple to change it to FAT32. Make sure you are formatting your external disk and not the "(system)" disk.

5) If you are planning on using the portable drive for your computer/laptop then you will not need to format it to FAT32. If like me you will want to connect it to the PS3, then you will have to format it into FAT32 (which the PS3 recognises, unlike NTFS). Be warned, the maximum size of a single file for FAT32 storage devices is 4GB.

6) I downloaded the free "Swissknife" program, which can format your portable HDD to FAT32 in a matter of seconds.

The enclosure is surprisingly smart and sleek given the price. It is made from plastic and aluminium combo and is black in colour. As of yet I have had no problems with its functioning on my PS3 or my laptop, although the transfer rates seem to be slower than that of my iPod and other passport devices (WD portable drives). There is a red LED to inform you that the device is plugged in, and there appears to be a separate power socket (although no cable is supplied, and as of yet I have not needed another power source bar the USB cable). Overall I recommend this if you are looking for a cheap way to turn your old PS3 hard drive into a rather useful portable one.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2009
The assembly of this worked very well. I was impressed with the dual USB cable you get for both power and data. Some ext drives have an independant power supply but you do not need that for this one. Also the HDD is secured inside because it's packed in tight. Summary, cheap,, small, quick and useful.
on 29 December 2011
This product worked really well. I had a asus note book failure which resulted in some files and documents that I needed in a hurry.

I suspected the main mother board had failed and that I needed to get the info from the hard drive. I ordered this product and it arrived the next day, well worth the extra two quid for 1st class delivery etc...

The packaging was good and the product inside was also in good order.

It arrived with instructions and leads and a little screw driver.

The case was good and solid, I did not have to read the instructions or load the cd.

I simply opened the case, inserted the hdd 2.5 drive, closed the case, used the screw driver and screws to secure drive and casing, inserted the USB lead and plugged into another computer.

This product was USB 2 and 1 which was handy as old computer was usb1. Drive was instantly recognised and I copied over all files to other computer. Did not need other USB power lead. Did not load cd software. Glad I did not get cheaper option of other products on offer. Also glad I did not go to maplins.

I will now format the hdd drive and use it as a 160gb spare USB portable drive......comes with nice black leather case as well.

Got me out of a lot of trouble at work retrieving data etc....good turn around by amazon and product supplier and maker etc...
on 18 June 2010
Works perfectly with Samsung 2.5" 640GB using just one cable. Tested with 3 different laptops and works great using just one usb cable (no need for additional power cable).
on 28 April 2016
I was extremely satisfied with all aspects of this purchase.

The 2.5" enclosure was well packaged and delivered on time.

I used it to allow me to "clone" my laptop HDD to a newly purchased SSHD 2.5 " drive and it worked perfectly.

Quality product at excellent price - the supplied cables, (which I only needed one of), would probably have cost as much as the whole package.
on 8 February 2013
This caddy was bought to place a laptop HDD in it for data recovery. It was easy to install and it wasn't a tight fit nor loose in the enclosure. I had to remove the rubber foot from the other end of the unit in order for the drive to fit in, but it wasn't a problem. The hard drive I'm now using is a samsung 1TB. And it works perfect.

I recommend this unit for anyone who wants a caddy for their hard drive. I do say this: DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED AS IT NAFFS UP YOUR WINDOWS INSTALL!! Other than that it is an EXCELLENT BUY!
on 4 January 2016
I work in a busy Infrastructure department and go through thousands of HDDs and SSDs on a daily basis. This is a great time saver when you need to extract information or perform imaging operations either via WIKD/SCCM/Altiris or Ghost. This uses a JMicron controller which are normally very reliable and I was able to get some excellent throughput using our OEM Hynix SSDs via USB3 and USB2 ports.

The build quality is solid, the pouch is a nice touch and the cable is of good quality and construction. Highly recommended !