5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the can...
This is dead easy to put together, all the bits are there, including a teeny tiny screwdriver for the teeny tiny screws that are easy to lose, but they do give you a spare one in case you drop one on the carpet.

It even comes with a swish leather case, something my much more expensive WD passport drive didn't have...

After that it's just a case...
Published on 2 Sept. 2010 by W. Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Drives get stuck in it
As some other reviewers have mentioned, it becomes apparent when you see it that it's not the best quality, and doesn't look like it would do much in the way of protecting a drive. That said, I was quite happy with it until this evening, when I temporarily inserted a brand new 150 quid drive into it, which promptly got stuck and refused to come out.

There was...
Published 23 months ago by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the can..., 2 Sept. 2010
W. Black "Bill Black" (Scarborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BIPRA USB 2.0 External Caddy/Enclosure For 2.5" Laptop SATA Hard Drive. USB Bus Powered - Black (Accessory)

After that it's just a case of plugging it in.

It comes with a power lead for people who don't have powered USB ports but as that terminates in a USB plug it's next to useless.

It also comes with some software on a mini CD, but don't bother with it, the thing is just a storage device. Keep it simple...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 29 Jun. 2009
Mr. Gary North "Gary" (UK) - See all my reviews
Does what it says on the tin. I needed to rescue files from a defunct laptop and I had them all backed up to my PC within 48 hours of ordering the caddy. Case appears strong enough and has not got even warm whilst running.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Drive Enclosure!, 22 Feb. 2010
Antal Goldschmidt "A.Goldschmidt" (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
DO not hesitate to buy this product! I know it is reasonabvly priced, but It looks amazing, and it is made antirelly from metal which helps your drive to be always nice and cool!

Extremely easy to assemble with clear instructions.

I would recommend this one to all my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with Samsung 2.5" 640GB using just one cable., 18 Jun. 2010
Works perfectly with Samsung 2.5" 640GB using just one cable. Tested with 3 different laptops and works great using just one usb cable (no need for additional power cable).

4.0 out of 5 stars A suitable way to enclose your SATA HDD, 17 May 2009
I bought this product after I upgraded my PS3 from a 40GB to a 320GB HDD. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to sell on the old HDD I researched into the field of SATA 2.5 inch enclosures. It seems that the majority of these enclosures fufil the same criteria, they are cheap and function as intended. The pricier options tend to be more aestheitcally pleasing or provide other blinking LED lights.

The product is nicely packaged and comes with a case (abeit rather cheap in nature), a mini USB to two USB cable, the enclosure, a disk, a small instruction manual and 3 tiny screws and a small screwdriver.

The installation of the SATA HDD into the enclosure is rather difficult. The enclosure is made of two parts, the casing and the front end which connects the drive into the ports. Having no technical knowledge in the field of computers or computer parts this whole procedure was alien to me. Thankfully it is rather easy, despite the less than clear manual. The casing is a very tight fit for the drive and at times I was worried that the drive may be damaged whilst I was installing it. However with a little patience the drive will fit very snuggly into the casing. You will only need two of the screws to fix the enclosure in place, leaving one of the screws as a spare.

The instructions were of very little use in terms of formatting the drive. After some searching online I found the correct protcol.

Windows XP users
1) Plug your new portable HDD into your computer with the supplied USB cable

2) The computer will recognise the HDD and go through the motions of installation of a new piece of hardware, until the "your new hardware has been installed sucessfully".

3) Access "Computer Management" by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon and selecting "manage". Under "Storage" is an option for "Disk management".

4) Clicking on this will show any disks that the computer is currently using and any disks that are attached. The new disk should be of X GB depending upon the size of the SATA HDD. Right click the drive and choose "Format". NTFS is the only selectable option if the drive is too large. Fear not as it is relatively simple to change it to FAT32. Make sure you are formatting your external disk and not the "(system)" disk.

5) If you are planning on using the portable drive for your computer/laptop then you will not need to format it to FAT32. If like me you will want to connect it to the PS3, then you will have to format it into FAT32 (which the PS3 recognises, unlike NTFS). Be warned, the maximum size of a single file for FAT32 storage devices is 4GB.

6) I downloaded the free "Swissknife" program, which can format your portable HDD to FAT32 in a matter of seconds.

The enclosure is surprisingly smart and sleek given the price. It is made from plastic and aluminium combo and is black in colour. As of yet I have had no problems with its functioning on my PS3 or my laptop, although the transfer rates seem to be slower than that of my iPod and other passport devices (WD portable drives). There is a red LED to inform you that the device is plugged in, and there appears to be a separate power socket (although no cable is supplied, and as of yet I have not needed another power source bar the USB cable). Overall I recommend this if you are looking for a cheap way to turn your old PS3 hard drive into a rather useful portable one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, used with laptops old HDD, 10 Aug. 2009
David H. (Scotland - UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this along with a 320GB WD HDD on Amazon, was £45 for the HDD and £9 for this caddy/enclosure. The plan was that if my laptop couldn't take the HDD (wasn't too sure what its limit was at time) it would go in my PS3 and either way the spare 2.5" drive would be used in the caddy.

I was able to get it working in the laptop, simply used the Vista recovery DVD I created when I got the laptop. So I inserted the now spare 120GB HDD into the caddy, I had a bit of trouble connecting the sata connector but with a little gentle force I was able to insert it, then click it together with the metal sheath of the caddy.

The enclosure requires no external power cable, it runs off the USB. I connected it up and Vista found the drivers and it appeared as another HDD. I copied across all the data I wanted to keep (it was pretty fast, about the same as my 3.5" 500GB USB backup drive). I then tried formatting it, but was only able to get 105GB in Vistas disk management (Vista had created hidden partition and didn't want to delete it). I was however able to get the full 111GB back with Ubuntus patitioner, I simply ran the Ubuntu OS off of the CD (very handy feature to try out Ubuntu).

It works really well as a backup drive, its very useful having a High capacity drive that you can carry around in a jacket pocket. If/when I upgrade my PS3 HDD (want bigger drive for the freeview tuner) I will get another one of these enclosures for my old 80GB drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, 6 Nov. 2010
What excellent value for money and looks really nice. I put a new Seagate 500MB drive in the caddy, then cloned my laptops old 160MB drive to it. Swopped the drives over, now my laptop has a 500MB drive with everything still on it and I have a 160MB portable drive for backups. Note; if you are doing this you may need to add a link on the hard drive if it is SATA-II and your computer only supports SATA-I speeds, always check the disk-drive manufacturers website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what you want, 1 Aug. 2010
Simple to assemble, simple to use.
With most powered USB ports you can just plug in the single USB cable and it works.
If it doesn't work there is a second cable included to draw power from another USB port.
If you have a spare 2.5" drive hanging around then buy this to convert it into a useful back-up or transfer tool.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drives get stuck in it, 26 Feb. 2013

There was literally no other option; I had to very carefully cut the metal enclosure open with wire cutters to get the drive out. Thankfully the drive was OK, but I could have easily lost 150 quid thanks to this product. I would strongly recommend looking for a different one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 21 Oct. 2008
Bought this to utilise the old 40GB drive from PS3 after upgrade.
The drive fits VERY snugly into the enclosure and I hope overheating will not be an issue in the future.Windows XP will not at first recognise the drive even though you hear the ding sounds and it tells you it's installed and ready to use.
You need to find it in device manager and run the initialize wizard to assign a drive letter,then format it and you'll be good to go.
Overall a good buy and well worth 8 quid.