5.0 out of 5 stars A state of mind is a contagious thing...
About this time of year, people (at least, the people who do this kind of thing) tend to start compiling their list of albums of the year, and everyone else gets ready to throw things at them. I don't do album of the year lists... but Marillion have just released their fifteenth studio album, Happiness Is The Road, and in doing so may just have released the record of...
Published on 26 Oct 2008 by B. Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long album that contains some of the best Marillion songs and few fillers
One year after release of "Somewhere Else" band releases new album. Marillion have even decided to release double album following fantastic success of "Marbles" which was double release as well and received more than positive feedback from fans and critics. Fans demanded another double album and Marillion decided to meet that demand. While double "Marbles" is very...
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by Marius Maxwell Krause

2.0 out of 5 stars WHERE IS DAVE MEEGAN??????, 6 Jan 2009
Jack R. Adesman (STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK United States) - See all my reviews
0 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
WHERE IS DAVE MEEGAN??????, January 6, 2009
By Jack R. Adesman

I had a feeling that this would happen again!!!!
Mike Hunter is totally unqualified to produce anybody's music.
It sounds as if he just threw parts of jam sessions together and attempted to make complete songs out of them.
It sounds so sloppy!!!!
On Dave Meegan produced CD's the instruments and Steve Hogarth's voice sound perfectly layered (example, listen to Angelina on Marbles), while on both volumes they sound so incomplete,muddy and lacking any kind of energy.
I love Marillion, but they need to wake up and realize that Mike Hunter is ruining their career.
You have to be kidding if you compare these CD's to Marbles.
GIVE BOTH A GOOD LISTEN!!!!!!
Bring back Dave Meegan...we'd like something close to the greatness of "Brave" or "Marbles"!!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 22 Mar 2009
I. M. Rhodes (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness Is The Road (Audio CD)
Firstly I haven't heard every album and wont compare this release to anything involving Fish(13th star is awesome though). I regard Brave as a stupendous and brave concept album which required a lot of perseverance to appreciate. AOS was relatively easy as was Seasons End both I love equally. However having just purchased Marbles and HITRd together I am rather disappointed in both CDs so far. It all seems so indistinct and devoid of any direction. Hard Shoulder shows the most promise. I am hoping that I may see the light one day, but have given up trying for the time being. Marillion's music has been compared to Floyd, Genesis and Radio Head (bands I also enjoy) but this latest stuff??

1.0 out of 5 stars The big yawn!, 13 Dec 2008
M. Clarke "gonzo" (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence (Audio CD)
Another lazy tired Marillion album. What is going on? Dont buy this get Marbles-This Strange Engine or Afraid of Sunlight which is Marillion at their best with Steve HOGARTH as front man. For an even bigger treat check out Fish's 13th Star CD just released, its full of brilliant songs performed by the original Marillion front man. Both Vol 1 & 2 'Happiness is the road'should be named the 'Big Yawn,' this will be my last purchase of Marillion releases.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compose one 5-star cd out of this overall 3-star double cd., 11 Dec 2008
Bart Rietveld - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence (Audio CD)
I review Marillion's latest as a double cd and I've waited a while to review this since the band uses to make "growth" cd's. A personal exemple is "Afraid of Sunlight" which took almost a year for me to appreciate fully and has become one of my favourite post Fish Marillion cd's of all time.

So back to Happiness Is the Road. I've been listening to this album for 2 months now and still have mixed feelings about it. About half of the album is brilliant and would make a 5-star cd, the other half however....
I would like to make a food comparesment: it's like all the ingrediences are there but the balance is wrong, too much of one and not enough from the others. H for exemple has a heavenly voice when he sings quiet, but starts to annoy me when he goes "over the top" to often and that is what is happening in about half of the songs. It seems like he is trying to compensate for the lack of some ingrediences. One of them is Steve Rothery who seems to have gone in hibernation after "Marbles". He does what he has to do but I'm missing the emotion in his play and where have his solos gone?
The other one is Ian Mosley. He drums like he's going on autopilot and if you listen closely he almost plays the same pattern over and over again in every song.
The only one who gets 2 thumbs up is Pete Trewavas, he plays inspired as always. "Somewhere else" dissapointed and maybe my hopes where to high since this is a double cd and I was expecting a new "Marbles".

So overall, there's one brilliant cd in "Happiness...", the rest goes in the bin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly poor - what are people on?, 4 Dec 2008
K-Pax (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence (Audio CD)
Own all of Marillion albums and wrote a glowing review for 'Somewhere else'. Couldn't wait for the new albums to come out. Of the two, this is the poorest. Really, I have listened to this album and I find it mediocre, which is so disappointing. As a Marillion fan, I wouldn't have needed much convincing but perhaps after 'Somewhere Else' they had 'Nowhere else' to go. The best track is the last track, which says it all. Check out Part 2, which is much more like the Marillion we love. That, I would give 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is this Road, 4 Nov 2008
This review is from: Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence (Audio CD)
Well, as a 1983 -1987 Marillion fan it is always with trepidation that I listen to the post EMI Hogarth era albums. My last purchase dating back to 1997. So I indulged in the .torrent version officially through music glue and submitted my email to open the dmr security. Album 1 'Essence' passes and proves my 0.0001p email was worth it. I can find a context to listen to this ambient album. Excellent playing and melodic peaceful songs. Musicianship top class as all Marillion fans will know and expect. Second album the wailer returns, mournful and melancholic somebody give Hogarth a gun, a cliff or a long walk off a short pier. Musically repetitive, plodding lacking in new ideas - heard it all before. It really beggars belief that Marillion complain about people not buying their music when it is so lacking in drive, enthusiasm, charisma as it was in their youth. They are not millionaires they will tell you - that will be the divorces then. The answer is stop drinking, taking drugs and keep your trousers on. Ah but wait a minute you're always at home since you take three years to write one album and never tour for more than a week every other year. Happiness is the job centre lads - and stop Rothery eating/drinking or he'll pop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very superficial, 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Happiness Is The Road (Audio CD)
Two cd's, lots of tracks and 75% are poor and sound like the sort of tracks that get stuck on albums as "bonus" tracks. Nothing near the quality of Fish era Marillion. The band are clearly treading water on this release and it shows. Padded and rather tedious.

Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence
Happiness Is the Road, Vol. 1: Essence by Marillion (Audio CD - 2008)