on 16 September 2008
How do you get such a brilliant crowd of legendary artists and hot, young things together on one piece of plastic? Only with the sterling inspiration of Bruce Parry, BBC presenter, expeditionary hero to millions and thoroughly good bloke. There's also the fact that this is a fundraising album for Survival International, who help defend many of the tribes that Bruce has met on his way.

The album's a mixed bag in terms of genres but there are some common themes. The first CD's mostly folk, rocky and sits together nicely, whereas the second CD, a bit more eclectic, but united by these tribal samples that are actually very groovy.

I actually like most of the tracks on some level, but I absolutely love some of them. For a start, there are some legendary vocalists on here. Yusuf Islam, Cat Stevens, haunts me with his existential mourning on Edge of Existence. This really is a song about tribe's dying out. Pretty stark but very beautiful.

Johnny Borrell is awesome. Another completely stirring number in Carrikfergus. It really is huge, epic, folk rock.

Apparatjik with Guy Berryman and company is so 80's, in a great Eurythmics come Coldplay way and I love it, over and over again

And there are so many other artists at the top of their games: Mystery Jets, Dawn Kinnard, Ruby Suns, Hot Chip, Will.i.am, Jason Mraz.

This album's got the big boys and the prolific new scene-makers all over it. There aren't many fillers here.

I recommend it. Some real classics here, from some serioous artists.
on 1 October 2008
Came across this album after seeing an advert in NME. Bought it and have been really impressed by the artists and original tracks for this charity compilation album. Very unusual to find original tracks by such great artists. Great charity Survival International who deserve all the support they can get. Go buy.
on 8 October 2008
Big fan of Bruce Parry, so bought this when I saw him promoting it. Mostly excellent - Coldplay guy, KT Tunstall and Johnny Borrell in particular. Only one real dud - don't think will.i.am's heart was in it somehow - but 19 decent tracks out of 20 isn't bad, and it's stuff you won't get anywhere else.
on 1 October 2008
What a cause, and what an album. Massive variety of songs on this - haunting melodies of Skin and Johnny Borrell's vocal performances, to the banging beats of Hot Chip and Hybrid. Blue State and Go! Team tracks are fab too. And Apparatjik (Coldplay, A-ha and Mew members, apparently!) and Mystery Jets too. And Jason Mraz???!! AND the millions-selling heavyweights of KT Tunstall, Mike Oldfield and Yusuf Islam too???! All good stuff and above all incredible that they all have come together with brand new and exclusive tracks for this one album . I guess it takes someone like Bruce Parry and a cause like Survival to make this happen. Buy it - you won't regret it.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2008
It could have been syrupy and preachy. Thankfully, it is 'serious' but also fun.

Disc 1 is a collection 10 songs and is the 'serious' album, where as disc 2 also has 10 tracks of corking dance music utilising samples collected by Bruce Parry. Collected running time is about an hour and twenty/twenty five minutes. So you get your pennies worth.

Trust me: if it had been 'wrong' and OTT I would have said so! I usually hate 'charity' records but this really sets a high standard. Great album for a great and important cause. Snap it up!
on 7 October 2008
Survival International's amazing work defending tribal peoples has inspired me ever since I first heard about it. The artists who contributed to this beautiful, eclectic collection clearly feel the same - the album is full of absolutely stunning tracks. I'll be listening to this one over and over again.
on 12 June 2009
As a member of Survival and a big fan of Bruce Parry this was a must for me. I love it, not all the tracks but most of them.
Disc 2 is my favourite but both are great.
This is supporting such an excellent cause that everyone should buy it.
on 10 November 2008
First off, I would like to say that I love Bruce Parry and his causes and I am pleased at least the CD cost is going to good use.
However, I do like the tribal chanting - but HATE the accompanying soundtrack to it - which is techno/trancey. I was expecting it to be more in tune with the tribal chanting. Not my cup of tea, sorry Bruce - but still love you. Not to worry, it is my dad's birthday at end of November so I shall pan it off to him as a present.
on 24 March 2010
Do yourself and the tribes a favor, and buy this one, you won't regret it, and it will do a lot of good.
on 28 April 2009
Very nice 2 cd collection
some very interesting people(and coldplay:( ) helped to create a little gem and helping a great cause