5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait
You know what you're going to get with Tracy - she's a singer songwriter who produces guitar-based songs that are strong on melody, lyrical content and emotion.

I was expecting a fair share of this album to consist of fairly downbeat sad songs, as her songs often sound this way (even though given a few more listens they often prove to be uplifting)...
Published on 17 Feb. 2009 by Straightforward

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the music
Loved the album but again as with another album purchased on Amazon it wouldn't upload to my iTunes library so disappointed. Album good though.
Published on 27 Dec. 2012 by Rebecca Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, 17 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)

I was surprised to hear such a consistently light tone to the songs of this album; she sounds really happy. I'm glad for her. From the first listen I loved this album - my favourite before this was 'Let it Rain', quite a sad one (as the title demonstrates!) - it's always a pleasure to play an album that you 'get' right from the word go, and this one grabs you straight away.

I've read reviews from professional critics saying stuff like "more morose love songs as expected", but this album isn't morose in the slightest - it's been three years since her last release, and this is her at her happiest and BEST. Very highly recommended - listen to the introductions to the tracks via the list below and hear for yourselves...

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what you'd expect be still great, 13 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
I am an avid Tracy chapman fan.
I recently bought all 8 of her albums, from old to new, including this one.
I have to say, in this album she definately sounds alot more content and happier in her self. The music is upbeat and jaunty ("sing for you", "I did it all" and "a theory"). But in true tracy chapman style there are songs in the album to make you think and feel and prod at the things in the world that we seem to accept that we shouldnt.
One of my favorite songs from this album is "thinking of you" which, as the title suggests, is a song of some one who has loved, and lost and of longing. The chorus of this song is so poignant its hard not to empathise with her "all i do is sit, in my darkened room, on occasion break my silence, and howl at the moon, to curse every nerve, and neurone in my brain, that wont stop this pain im feeling, and let me stop thinking....." this song is again strangely upbeat considering the lyrics of the song, but definately seems to work.
Also "our bright future" is another good track which questions our society of all the ills in the world
All in all a great album, different from how she usually sings her songs, but a nice refreshing change and yet still somehow maintains the depth of her songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Mellow and soothing, 4 Mar. 2009
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
Not having heard anything from Tracy Chapman for years I borrowed this from a friend and played it in the car on a longish journey to and from the airport late at night.

Her mellow, soothing tones and soulful lyrics were an ideal travelling companion and blended well with the sound of the windowscreen wipers in the heavy rain on a practically empty motorway.

Outstanding tracks for me are 'Sing for you', 'I did it all' and 'A theory'

Never really what you'd call a fan, I've not heard her for years and the last album I bought of hers was in the 80s when 'Fast car' was a hit. This album was a pleasant surprise, whilst mellow most of the tracks are upbeat melodies. I've since bought my own copy and the Tracy Chapman Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracy Chapman never fails to deliver, 6 Aug. 2011
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
Tracy Chapman is always true to what she does best - simple but heartfelt folk and pop songs. This eighth release, "Our Bright Future" is no exception and marks her 20 years in the music industry in style. The beauty in the 11 tracks is the fact that the minimal arrangements and simple melodies blend so well with Tracy's deep soulful voice and the very meaningful lyrics.

"Sing For You" is a sweet mid tempo folk song that sets the pace of the album. "I Did It All" has a jazz vibe to it and is nicely interpreted by Tracy, which is one of her strengths. "Save Us All" is a lovely blues influenced gospel song with very spiritual lyrics. "Our Bright Future" is a beautifully plaintive and inspirational rock tinged folk song. "For A Dream" is a sweet and soothing ballad followed by another catchy melodic tune, "Thinking Of You". "Conditional" is another plaintive yet heartfelt soft rock song. "Something To See" brings back the folk and bluesy sound so familiar to Tracy's music. "The First Person On Earth" is another lovely foot-tapping ballad and "Spring" is a beautiful acoustic ballad, just Tracy, a piano and a guitar.

"A Theory", although pleasant and lyrically interesting, is the only track I am not such a fan of. But I am a big fan of the album as a whole and of Tracy Chapman. I think she must be the artist with the strongest story-telling ability, which is why she has been able to maintain a consistent and loyal fan base and why she has lasted so long in the music business. Another beautiful effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy Chapman?, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
Tracy Chapman?Most people know Tracy Chapman because of her debut self titled album!I typed Most People because i`m not one of them!I was browsing Amazon for her Where You Live album and saw this?Had no idea it was released!Ordered it along with Where You Live and as always Chapman made another GREAT album!(well two this & Where You Live).

4.0 out of 5 stars V Good, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
I bought this having listened to, and loved, Crossroads for years. Thought I may be disappointed but there's some great songs on here - catchy easy listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tracy Chapman writes the most beautiful, touching songs, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
Tracy Chapman writes the most beautiful, touching songs, powerful in their message, coupled with stunning music and a gorgeous voice - great listening.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the music, 27 Dec. 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Still has it, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
After a long time since I have bought a Tracy Chapman cd, it was well worth the wait. She still has that voice that wants you to listen more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album as long as you listen to it on a CD player and not downloaded on mp3 player, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Our Bright Future (Audio CD)
Great album but the quality of playback once you load it onto itunes is very poor and you can't listen to it

Our Bright Future
Our Bright Future by Tracy Chapman (Audio CD - 2008)