on 13 January 2010
This looked like a decent upgrade to the slip case that I was using, as it would offer protection for the screen of the unit, so I was pleased to find it in stock on Amazon.

However, it was a huge dissapointment. Firstly, the case itself was huge- a very poor fit, looks like it was made for a much larger unit. I checked the packaging, and it did say that it was designed for the Oregon and Colorado series, but really, about 1/3 of the internal length is wasted. I'd rather it actually could fit the unit properly.

Second and most major problem is the way that the unit attatches to the case. It slips into a plastic clip exactly like the one attatched to the caribiner that comes with the unit- this is a good start. The clip is attatched to a nylon strap, hanging from the top of the case- still so far so good. However, the strap also attatches to the inside of the case (do keep up at the back) with velcro. This would be absolutely fine, if the lining of the case, which is cheap, thin material, was properly attatched to the hard shell. In my case, no, it wasn't. Thus it left unit flapping around poorly anchored inside the too big case. This was hardly reassuring.

Maybe it was because my case had a manufacturing defect, and maybe was the wrong model.. but if I attatched the unit to a belt or similar, you could hear the unit flapping about inside, banging into the shell in an irritating manner. The loose internal fabric also felt like it would start to tear after removing the GPS a few times to change batteries. As you only get about sixteen hours or so with 2700 mAh recharables, you have to do this more often than you'd imagine.

I really hope my crappy experience was an isolated one, as this is clearly a case of epic fail. It's getting returned. End of whinge!
on 20 March 2010
Like some other reviewers, I was surprised to find how big this case is - HUGE and no reason for it as the Oregon is swamped by it. having said that, the Oregon fits in very easily and the clip makes it very stable. From the outside, the case looks to be of very high quality but I fear it could be crushed very easily. The two halves are only held together by a strip of webbing and consequently do not snap together very well - in truth the two halves have to be manipulated at the edges to get a snug fit. Overall, it is OK but a Lowe camera case such as the Apex 20AW would do a better job at a lower price.
on 31 December 2015
When reading some of the reviews for this case I was slightly put off purchasing one for my new Oregan 600. However, after finding them on offer for 22% less than the Garmin price with free delivery I decided to try one and I must say that I am delighted. It is well made, sturdy and I personally believe, well thought out and I have no hesitation in giving it a 5 star rating. I can only say there's no pleasing some people!
After 10 years of hanging on my rucksack my GPSmap 60CS looks as though it has been through the wars! No matter how often I reminded myself to remember it when taking my rucksack off, more often than not, it seemed to come between my rucksack and the ground! This was the reason therefore for looking for a good protective case for my Oregan 600.
I think the criticism of the case being too large is overly critical as you need room to initially clip your GPS into the holder and then also to remove it easily from the Velcro retainer but still clipped to the case so that you can't drop it. Also, it has two straps either side of the GPS that hold the lid and GPS when open in a horizontal position and these straps need to be housed in the case when closed. I suppose it could have been slightly shorter but why shouldn't Garmin design it to fit several models of GPS's? However, I don't find the extra size to be detrimental and my Oregan 600 is held firmly in place with the Velcro and doesn't appear to move around much.
You have the option to attach the case with the supplied karabiner or a belt or strap retainer that is also retained by Velcro for easier attachment. In either case, as I mentioned, the two straps hold the lid and GPS in a horizontal position when open so that you can use your hands for reading a map but still easily refer to your GPS.
Although the case may not be completely waterproof I think it will keep most of the weather out. However, does this matter with a waterproof GPS?
The lid is held firmly in the closed position by a plastic clip that can easily be opened with one hand quickly dropping the GPS into the operating position.
As I said earlier, the case is sturdy, well made and well designed providing good protection for your valuable GPS and rather than being a hindrance in use offers an additional aid for holding your GPS in the horizontal position whilst leaving your hands free.
on 9 July 2009
This case is a perfect protection for my Garmin. We used it during the holliday in Italy and it was a perfect way to store during the journey, but also while we were caching off road. The hard case is a perfect protection.
The only minor thing is that it is impossible to set te band around the case looser or thightner.
on 11 January 2014
I used it today on a walk for the first time and found it very convenient to be able to attach the case to my rucksack with the karabiner and use the Garmin (Oregon 600) while still securely fastened in the case.
Not given 5 stars because it can be a bit awkward to close properly; the case isn't as robust as it could be and I doubt it would protect the Garmin if I fell heavily on it; and I suspect that it won't keep rain out (although as the Garmin is weatherproof this may not really matter).
VINE VOICEon 18 October 2009
Before my Oregon I also had the Colorado with its case code 010-10850-10

The new case is a 010-10850-20

This case is the same external size as the earlier case but features a clip arrangment in the opening lid that the rear of the Oregon or Colorado can slide into.

If the case is on your belt and is open the lid hinges down to 90 degrees so the face of your GPS is pointing up enabling you to see the display.

It is of course designed so the GPS cannot fall out of the case.

So for an Oregon or Colorado model this is the case to go for, the 010-10850-20.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 September 2015
First off this case is very big. If you are looking for a compact case don't get this.
The case is very sturdy. The clip on the inside that attaches to your unit has velcro to stick it to the inside of the case, keeping the unit secure.
There is also a velcrp strap and a karabiner on the back of the case to connect it to your rucksack strap.

Overall I would recommend getting a camera case for a fraction of the price instead.

(Pictures are of my oregon 600 in the case)
review image review image review image review image
on 2 June 2013
Have to agree with previous comments that the case is "large," but having said that after use I am happy with it. The unit is held firmly in place in one half of the case by Velcro thus making it easy to remove for a "better look."
The case itself is stout giving great protection for the unit but still has to be deemed as stout.
Delighted with this slightly bulky case but it does protect the unit.
on 15 September 2009
Very useful case that gives your very expensive GPS some well-deserved protection. Attachment clip is slightly tricky to use at first.
on 16 April 2012
The case is a little large for my Oregon 450 but holds it in place securely with the connecting clip and velcro. I am sure that they could have come up with a neater design and it is pricey for what it is. Other disadvantage is that the connecting method means that it has to be undone to take the back of the Oregon to change the batteries. Good but only 3 stars.