Grey's Anatomy - Season 4 [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£11.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 27 May 2009
After losing my patience with Miserable Meredith at the end of series 3, it was with relief that series 4 showed a turning point for our 'twisty and gnarly' heroine and friends.

Meredith FINALLY gets some help dealing with her past, the nurses lead a revolt against the ever-sleazy McSteamy and the relationship between McDreamy and the Chief takes and amusing turn. There are the usual intriguing patients who teach the characters meaningful lessons, mean surgeons who enjoy making life hell for our posse of students and for the first time Mer, Christina, Izzie and Alex are reponsible for their own interns.

Not to say all is fun and games - the repercussions of George and Izzie's fling is felt throughout the series, the Nazi faces some real personal challenges and uptight Christina (eventually) faces up to the fact that Burke dumped her at the altar. Oh, and Ava/Rebecca/Jane Doe re-appears, which upsets the apple-cart no end.

All things considered, I'm still addicted to Grey's and can't wait for the next series. Buy it now, snuggle up on the sofa with a blanket and some ice cream and turn your phone off. Enjoy!
on 17 October 2008
After the slightly disappointing season 3 grey's anatomy season 4 had to be the season that was best by all standards, and i have to say it even out performed the unmissable season 2.

During the season we watched the now residents relationships flourish and diminish. The biggest mistake ever was Izzie and George getting together although the break up of George's marriage opened the floodgates for a relationship with a difference for Callie. Throughout the season viewers were waiting in anticipation for the MERDER realtionship to make a move forward... although this looked very doubtful after Derek starts "dating"

Cristina gets a shock from her past, and is challenged in her chosen career path in Cardio-thoracics upon the arrival of Dr. Erica Hahn. This season shows the abrput, comedy and competitive nature that cristina is well known and loved for, although we also see her more vulnerable side, when the shock appears and especially towards the season finale when it's obvious that Cristina doesn't want to loose her "person" and best friend Meredith-( this continues into season 5)

There are a few guest appearences this season, as well as new characters who join the regular cast, one in particular Lexie Grey - Meredith's half sister.

Season 4 contains all the usual medical drama, comedy and romance we have become accustommed to, In my opinion is the best season to date, definately one that should not be missed!

Enjoy
on 24 August 2014
With our group of 5 interns now into their residencies (well except George) they face the inevitable challenges of leadership and responsibility while managing their own messy lives.

The revelation that Meredith has a long lost sister (who incidentally tried to hit on Derek at the end of Series 3, [blimey that could have been awkward!]) is dealt with by Meredith in her own inimitable way, IE, acting like Lexie doesn't exist and generally being a bitch (Christina would be proud)

Despite this, Lexie's short-term relationship with Alex serves as a bridge between the two and they develop, if not a sisterly, but a friendly relationship.

The addition of Erica Hahn as the new Head of Cardio following Burke's departure is not met with joy by all, specifically Christina who Hahn dislikes due to her relationship with Burke.

Following George's revelation about his "affair" and his eventual break up with Callie, he strikes up a friendship with Lexie and the two get a flat-share together. Ironically, Lexie falls in love with George who is as oblivious to this fact as Meredith was to his feelings in the past which shows a nice symmetry between the two situations.

Meredith and Derek's relationship is a little bit annoying to me at times throughout this series. They keep chanting this mantra of "break-up sex" while never really breaking up and then Meredith gets annoyed that Derek wants to see someone else. Well Mer, you did say that you weren't ready to give Derek what he wanted so don't get mad that he has found someone who does!

The eventual (figurative) explosion of this demonstrates something I (correctly as it happends) hinted at in a previous review regarding aspects of Derek's personality. Basically, when things get bad, Derek runs away and lashes out at people. Which he does in spectacular form when his and Meredith's clinical trial starts to go badly and proceeds to treat her like crap once again (but she builds him a house of candles so it's all ok right?)

Alex gets his own proper storyline (actually from Season 3 but I forgot it last review) when "Ava comes back and declares her love for him before going crazy and trying to kill herself and being committed to the Psych-Ward and vanishing forever. However I thought this was an enjoyable story that allowed for some good development of Alex as a character and showed that he is not just an arrogant ass but someone who has had a very difficult life and acts the way he does to keep people at distance (cliche I know, but I feel it works with him)

Once again I cannot find any good things to say about Izzie. On her first day with her new Interns she risks her job by trying to save a deer that got run over just to please a young boy and proceeds to lash out at her interns by insulting their abilities. (It's their first day, they won't ever be perfect Izzie, what's your excuse for being incompetent) Furthermore, her "relationship" with George feels pointless and forced, I disliked it from the start and my reaction was akin to Meredith's and Christina's "So you two are together now?" "Err, Yeah" *Insert looks of bewilderment and wry amusement*

Overall, very enjoyable, my general frustration (no longer worth it to hate her) with Izzie didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the series and I hope that Meredith and Derek will finally stop dancing around each other and either get together or break up.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2012
I really liked this season and as with all the seasons so far the cases just get better and better. This time though the cases are actually extended so instead of only seeing one patient in one episode we might get to follow that patient for a couple of episodes - this was great because previously it's been a little difficult to actually relate to some of the key patients because we just don't see them long enough.

Another thing I liked this season was the progression of the interns - or should I say new residents. A new wave of interns moves up, as we saw briefly at the end of the last season with the introduction of Merediths Sister Lexi. I liked Lexi, she's a really great character, completely likeable (which is important because it would be easy to hate her if you're a fan of Meredith) and her back story gives us a nice insight into what Meredith has been missing out on. The relationship between the half sisters is really well explored, mostly in a negative way because of Merediths aversion to family.

The relationships between characters are often the best part about this series, particular between Derek and Meredith and Meredith and Christina but actually this season all of the other characters get more of a look-in. In particular, Bailey and her family/personal life are thoroughly explored - Bailey is such a funny character usually that it was nice to see a deeper side to her and to see the difficulty balancing family with being a surgeon.

George, held back as an intern, similarly struggles with starting over and his new-found relationship with Issy is a bit like marmite I fear. Some people are really rooting for them and hoping it works out and others wish it would end already. I personally changed my mind about this all the time so it kept me guessing throughout. Similarly, Christina has a bigger role this season after being left at the alter last season. She's still as witty as ever but we see a softer side of her.

Overall, a great series - I can't wait for the next seasons and urge anyone who hasn't seen this one yet to go out and get it immediately! Hope this helps.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Fans of this great TV series will probably notice that most of the reviews are for the easily available 'DVD' of Season Four.

But if you're buying on BLU RAY and live in the UK - don't be tempted by the cheaper American release. The US Disney Box Set is REGION A LOCKED and therefore won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Check you're getting the UK version instead (Region B) - so even if it costs a bit more - it won’t give you playback problems...
on 16 October 2008

Enjoy
on 29 October 2009
I love Grey's Anatomy, it has everything in it, great actors, great story lines and it is so addictive. I love Season 4, not as good as the others but still amazing and I am so looking forward to Season 5. I just don't understand why the UK is a year behind releasing the Seasons. I bought Season 4 a year ago in Belgium and they are realising season 5 on the 25th November. Why is the UK a year behind?
on 2 December 2010
This is the most addictive medical drama ever.It has it all. Sex, love, tragedy,comedy and story lines you can't wait to see what happens.The main characters are diverse, funny and some are irritating, but it all adds up to the normal type of people in everyday life.
McDreamy ( Patrick Dempsey ) is a brilliant neurosurgeon ( watch it just to see him ... yum ) who cannot sort out his love life with his neurotic and whingy girlfriend Meredith. Mc Steamy the brilliant plastic surgeon is a male prostitute by nature, but really longs for a real love in his life while Christina the cardio addict is totally unfeeling about anything outwardly and won't talk about her tragedy with Burke. Izzy is a beautiful tragic character and it is a fabulous mix held together by George who is a good doctor, but inept at life. The series unfolds in a life like way with some tear jerking moments and other times you laugh out loud. Either way it is a series that once you start you cannot stop and the fact that some of it is really more fantasy than real life just adds to it.
on 27 February 2011
I am a huge Grey's Anatomy fan, now on it's seventh season, and I have to admit that this is probably my least favorite season. Although there were the expected medical cases which always have the interesting edge, the characters fell flat, and the storyline, although clear, also fell below expectations. The introduction of Lexie, however, brought some redemption for this season, and brought renewed interest. Mark, after joining the show in season 2 as a recurring character, then a SGH doctor in season 3, brought about many laughs with his 'inappropriate for the work place inuendos', and Addison's return as a guest star was surprisingly not terrible. Although it is a must-see if you're a Grey's fan, simply for being able to know the storylines and be able to move onto season 5, I would say that if you've seen it once, unless you loved it don't buy it.
on 27 July 2010