4.0 out of 5 stars Unanimously the best buy
Published on 23 Dec. 2008 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this
I'm now on my second one of these. The first stopped working after 11 months (unable to pick up any TV channels). Despite being given instructions of how to remedy the fault, it still failed to work. Humax kindly replaced it. After three months the second one stopped working with the same fault as the first. I tried the remedy with the instructions previously given and...
Published on 28 Sept. 2011 by Mazarin

4.0 out of 5 stars Unanimously the best buy, 23 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Humax Freeview playback Digital TV Recorder PVR-9150T 160GB Twin Tuner PVR (Electronics)
UPDATE: I have had this for about 2 and a half years now. I have had relatively few problems. I have found that it does lock up and freeze but this only happens when the disk is nearly full. Deleting a few programmes does the trick. The box, like all of them, does suffer from forgetting to record programmes when re-tuned. You have to re-reserve the programmes you want to record after a major re-tune. I think this is beacause the box understands channel numbers and not channel names so can't follow a station if it wanders around. The Panasonic that I have has the same problem but its a bit more forthright in its warning about re-tuning meaning it needs to be re-programmed.

I bought it in December 2008. Here is what I wrote after 2 weeks (and I have not changed my mind!)

A great buy at just over £100, and only a little more than a plain set top box. I did a lot of research, and the Humax comes out top for a dual tuner freeview recorder. Now its not perfect, but it has the following advantages: from other reviews, its more reliable; Series link and automatic timing are really great and simple to use. A couple of button presses and you will never miss an East Enders episode again. There have been some grumbles about fan noise, mine is in the lounge and the PC in the other corner is much noisier, I think Humax may have fixed this since it was first raised, as I do not find it an issue at all.
Reception: it should be obvious from reviews and forums (actually fora) like Digital spy that you need good (not fantastic, but good) reception from a roof-top aerial for any freeview box. A TV top aerial won't give you what you want, and a proper aerial fitted on the roof is absolutely necessary.

To help you decide wif this is for you, this PVR/DTR replaces two old VHS recorders that you use for "time shift" recording (record something and watch later or a different day), this is for you. A temporary recording is also made whenever you are watching something, so you can hit the pause key and suddenly you are not watching live TV but the recording.

On the other hand, if you want to record a film, edit out the commercials and save it to a DVD, buy the Panasonic. It only has one freeview tuner, but a DVD writer, and its even easier than the Humax to use.

Throw your VHS tape recorder (VCR) away and buy one of these boxes now. Don't bother with the larger 9300T. It has double the capacity, but if you have recorded more than 100 hours of TV, when are you going to watch it? 100 hours is a lot of telly!

Series link: you select a programme in the future using the guide. The box asks you if you want the whole series. Select Yes and now not just the Monday episode is selected but any programme with the same name on the same channel will always be recorded.
Auto Timing: Don't add extra minutes to the start and end of the programme, tell the box to record the exact programme (this is the default anyway). If the programme is delayed, advanced or otherwise re-scheduled, the Humax just records it at the new time. Not the old time. Exact timing does not miss anything - East Enders doesn't record the music, but you see the title screen disappearing as it starts (or cut to first few words if it was on standby).
Pause live TV: Just press the pause button and what you were watching is frozen. Once you restart, by pressing Play, then you are watching a temporary recording. You can rewind it fast forward, etc. all while it is recording the rest of the programme (and anotehr channel as well).

All this but only 4 stars? Okay, it is not perfect. The guide is not as good as the Panasonic and I have not found how to make it automatically go over things, like the Panasonic - so recording Monday's East Enders should over-write the episode from Monday before. No option in the Humax.

These are all extra features that would be nice, don't be put off by them. Buy this machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent buy, 21 Jan. 2009
I bought this because my previous Bush PVR, which was only 18 months old, had started playing up so badly it was no longer usable. I dismantled that one and put the hard drive in my PC! After surveying the reviews for a new PVR I settled on the Humax PVR9150T. The only real downside from the reviews that I had read was that many people complained about fan noise. I have had it for a little over 2 weeks now and it really is a superb bit of kit. It takes a little while to get use to the features on the remote so it is worth taking the time to read through the manual and play with the settings a little to see what they do.

The signal from the twin tuners is excellent. You can record anything on freeview at the push of a button. It copes with a TV series really well and adjusts for time shifting in the programmes very well...mine has only cut one programme short so far and that was only by about 1 minute.

The feature that really impressed me was the timeshifted recording--my old Bush machine didn't have that. Basically, anything you are watching it records silently in the background so, if there's a good film on at 9pm for example, but I don't want to start watching it until say 9.30--provided I have the Humax set on that channel from 9pm, I can come along at 9.30 and just rewind the film back to the beginning at up to 32x speed. Then when I'm playing it back, if the phone rings I can pause it, if I miss some dialogue I can rewind it, if I get to an advert break I can skip over it...it's brilliant and it all works perfectly. I've watched a lot more TV since I bought this!

As for the fan noise, I can't actually hear any on mine. I was a bit concerned at first. Perhaps my fan isn't working but then it doesn't seem to get really hot so maybe it just has a quiet fan? Perhaps this is a problem that Humax have fixed?

This is a superb product. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humax PVR150T - a very good little machine, 15 Aug. 2008
I bought this 2 days ago, after long being interested in the already well-reviewed Humax PVR 9200T. The reason for hesitatng over the other was that it was on the expensive side (at least for some of us!) so I was delighted to see it had been updated at a price I could afford. It came out on 1st August. I literally plugged it in according to the very simple quick start guide, and the freeview channels loaded so fast and smoothly. The full instructions seem quite wordy, but are perfectly clear and simple to follow. The reception and picture on my -rather old- television is now excellent, whereas it was a bit temperamental before, eg with traffic, the reception deteriorated, had a lot of fuzz and had to juggle the aerial. None of that now.
Despite being cheaper, it seems to have all that the 9200T had and more. It is also more economical, using only 1 watt on standby.
You can record a series at touch of button. And have subtitles if wish. And loads more, but rather than go on, I will say confidently- see for yourself.

O one small niggle, the same as the above mentioned PVR- for some the fan noise may take some getting used to. But I think it is every bit worth it. still deserves five stars.

UPDATE 23/8/08
Ok , so it's only a week later, but I would like to add a few things. i have now recorded a number of programs, and tried watching 1 while recordiing 2, and it works. And having watched back some of these, the picture is very clear, and it starts and finishes correctly when the programmes do, even when they run a bit late. It is truly simple to use. I did find the instructions a bit boring at times, perhaps that is because once you start to get the feel of it using the well laid out remote control, it quickly becomes intuitive, and I discovered a lot by playing with the buttons. Having said that, I think it is well worth reading the booklet to get the most out of the machine. It is not that long.

I lke the PIP which enables you to keep track of a second program if wish. Eg. I like to keep half an eye on the Olympics, and when I see an event or athlete interested in, I switch that to my main screen.
YOu can change the size of it, and move it if wish, but I prefer to keep it in a top corner.

Thre is an Information button located conveniently near the channel and volume controls. Press it once, and it tells you the title and channel-press it again and it gives a simple overview of the program.

The fan noise is not really an issue for me anymore. It is good value for money too, at £130 and a recording capacity of 100 hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars simple, easy to use and effective - I like it, 30 Sept. 2008
After doing some research and reading the first review by Molly I purchased the Humax 3 days ago. I set it up in minutes, very simple to use and I soon had all my favorites series linked never to miss them again.
I struggled with the programme guide a bit but read through the trouble shooting and it just takes a while to load. its a bit jumpier than my tv but we have a loft ariel which is not the best so I am considering upgrading the ariel to a digital roof ariel.
I was worried about the noise from reading the reviews and it almost put me off purchasing one but it is similar to my pc and does not bother me.
I wanted sky + type box without bothering with sky and I think I've got that. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgive the hum, 3 Oct. 2008
K. Simmons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I only want to echo the comments by other users on what a wonderful and simple to use machine this is. It does everything it claims to simply and efficiently. I now have hours and hours of my favourite programmes stored up - don't know when I will watch them! Series record is BRILLIANT!

Yes, it does make a noise when it is on, due to the fan. I cannot believe that this would disturb you whilst you are actually watching TV. I am usually pretty sensitive to annoying or distracting noises and not ONCE have I found this a problem (one reviewer claims s/he had to return the product for this reason). That seems crazy to me. You would have to turn your TV volume down to nearly zero for the hum to actually drown out the sound. Sure, when you have switched off the TV it creates a perceptible low buzz in the corner of the room. Why not power it off then?
I would think this is only a problem if you are sleeping in the same room as the tuner of have canine hearing powers. If I had to, I would take a half star away for the noisiness, just because I hope Humax can improve on this in future models. But in every other sense I am 100% happy so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you perform Free update, 10 Jan. 2009
J. dean "jammy" (Newcastle, uk) - See all my reviews
I had a 9200t prior to the 9150t. The newer PVR is very similar to the 9200T but :

1. It has the little used USB, SPDIF and composite interfaces removed.
2. The front Panel no longer has an full LED display
3. The 9150T is much smaller.

The only feature that my wife is missing from the older model is the front panel display, as she was used to seeing current time and time left on a programme.

When I first purchased the device it was a little louder than the 9200T, due to the cooling fan, but after performing a free update the device became quieter than the older 9200T (due to the newer device having a much quieter disk).

One nice thing about the newer device is that it is much more frugal at 0.9w on standby and 26w maximum.

For the price this is a fantastic deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, it just works!, 1 Nov. 2008
I would echo the other positive reviews, this is a great hard drive recorder for a sensible price. The fan noise is noticeable when you are close, although I don't notice it now during normal viewing. I was impressed by how easy it was to record exactly what I wanted, at the touch of a button. The Humax turned-on, recorded everything perfectly and then went into low-power standby. Which is just how it should be!

Quality seems very good for the price, the unit feels sturdy, and well put together. A subtly designed case with no garish display means the Humax is unobtrusive. The manual is generally well-written and easy to understand, which makes a nice change.

The built-in games seem an odd inclusion (although fun for a while), and my control is oversensitive when changing channels and settings etc. so a light touch is needed otherwise you tend to over-shoot, but these are just minor niggles. When I have spare cash I am definitely going to buy this model for my parents too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a few design tweeks, 3 Oct. 2008
This is an update as I've had it 18 months.
Easy to set up. Freeview works fine and is good quality. I was watching everything though the Humax but I have now bought a Freeview TV so the Humax is only used for recording. Records 2 programmes at the same time and lets you watch a third. If you use it as a Freeview box then it allows you to watch a programme that has not yet finished recording or pause a live programme when the double glazing salesman calls. Then go back and press play...even though you were not even recording it in the first place...brilliant. Picture and sound excellent. Menus are generally easy to navigate. Series recordings are brilliant. Just tell it you want Eastenders and it doesn't matter what time its on it will record it...forever. You do end up with a lot of repeats but these are very easily deleted. Recordings via The Guide are really easy to set up, just find the programme and press Ok...that's it. Overall very good but with some very annoying design faults.

Bad points
The fan. Practically every review has mentioned the noisy fan. It was noisy but new software was released in January 2009 and it seems to have solved the problem in any one that you buy now. Remote control generally good but with a slide down bit that reveals loads more buttons, some of which should be on the main section as you use them all the time. I just threw away the slide in the end. Some of the buttons are tiny especially the play, FF ones. No clock on the front for some strange reason. The Guide is very, very slow to update when turned on, even on BBC1 as suggested by Humax. After 30 minutes Five had still not updated for the next few days. I can see my transmitter so poor signal is not to blame. As most people will be recording via the Guide then it's strange that this most important function does not appear until page 35 of the manual. TV companies update The Guide to start and end the programmes on time, that's why it turns on 15 minutes before the programme is due to record to get the latest info from the TV companies for The Guide. It is clever enough to record a programme running late. Just watched the World Cup final and a film that was due to be on after it did record even though is was almost a hour late. But the Humax does have a habit of missing the first few seconds especially on ITV and loosing a bit at the end if you've got another recording set up at that time. As it can record 2 things at once this is a bug which they won't fix.
Humax have been asked about this problem but seem oblivious to the fact that programmes do not start and end on time in the UK unlike Korea where it was designed. So they can't see the problem. Changing the start time manually works but mucks up series recordings. But one of the joys of series record is that you can set it up and record that programme forever.
Strange Points
It took me a while to figure out that if it's doing a timer record then it's not actually 100% turned on. If you want to watch something else you have to turn it on...conversely you can turn it off and it continues with its timer recording.
Overall
I like it but I wish they would sort out the late recording problem. The equivalent Sky box has sorted this out apparently.
Very happy. We've only missed a few programmes in 18 months for reasons I have no idea as everything was set up OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of Kit, 11 Oct. 2008
M. P. Rinaldi - See all my reviews
Have now owned a Humax 9150 for two weeks and would echoe all the previous positive comments. It is incredibly easy to set up and operate. Everything is logically laid out so learning the operations quickly becomes intuitive. Picture quality is excellent. Yes there is a some fan noise but nothing worse than you experience with a PC. As another reviewer says you only really notice it when the TV is switched off, which is when you should have the Humax in standby mode anyway. It is also set up to check for software updates daily. Ours is in the bedroom so it was a bit spooky to find it switching itself on every morning at 4 AM. This was quickly remedied by changing the setting to later in the day.

I have no hesitation in giving this piece of kit 5 stars for performance and price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - changes the way you watch tv!!, 14 April 2009
Firstly I'll cover the points raised in 1-star feedback:

The fan only comes on when you turn it on, and lasts for about 4 seconds. Totally quiet after that.

There is indeed no male-female RF lead (required if you want to use your TV's own tuner). I reckon you can get one for about 99p in Wilkinsons.

The guide does take a while to load. Hard to put a distinct time on it as I tend to not scroll through to the next day, but I reckon under a minute for the current programmes and the rest is built up from there and takes a few more minutes. Guide is lost even when left on standby, but this may be a side offect of the low power consumption during standby (0.9W). At least you can watch TV and see whats on whilst the full guide is uploading. In my opinion low power in standy is more important than retaining the guide. Scheduled recordings still works in standby.

Timed recordings generally starts when the program does. I have found that I have might have lost the first few seconds of 1 or 2 programmes though.

OKay, so now my review. (I have had this 10 days so this is still work in progress)

The unit is brilliant, even does things that a Sky+ box doesn't such as picture in picture.
You can search for programmes, to see when they are on again if you've forgotten to record them. Searches all channels over the next week (and may be beyond).

Fairly straight forward to use.

No HMDI output, just Scart. So this doesn't 'upscale to 1080p', whatever that means. Well I think it means that if you had a HD TV then you wouldn't benefit from an enhanced picture. Possibly one to think about if you are buying a HD tv. If you wait a couple of years you could probably get an equivalent device that receives HD freeview anyway (which would be better than 'upscaling' current digital transmissions anyway).

I got a included a 5 year guarantee with mine (not an Amazon purchase) However, you should only anticipate electronics to last 2 years before they get outdated anyway. If I get 2 years use out of this I would consider it a good investment.

Buy it now.

**There is no USB slot. There appears to be some sort of mistake with the manufacturer's description on this site**

Update November 2010:
No real probs with this. I have found that the recording misses the first few seconds now and again. I think this may affect BBC1 more than other channels but am not too sure.
This is still a brilliant unit.