on 13 October 2010
This is my first pro camera, having upgraded from a canon 40D, and I haven't spent a lot of time using nikons so I really cannot compare the two. I'm a wedding photographer and so as soon as the camera arrived through the post it was put to work and it has never disappointed me! It may not be as fast as a nikon d700 and the autofocus can sometimes be tricky in low light, but it's not a big deal. As with any piece of kit, you come to know its limitations and work around them. If you're expecting miracles and perfection, then you'll almost always be disappointed. The 5d mk II gives excellent image quality and is capable of taking fantastic pictures.

Of course it's expensive, but it's clever and worth every penny in my opinion. It's my favourite camera!
on 2 January 2011
I hope people will find this review useful. I'm one the few brave souls that has switched from Nikon to Canon in order to use this wonderful camera.

After reading many reviews and being sold the idea of owning a Nikon by a pro press photographer friend, I bought a Nikon D700 and used it for a year. I also had both 50mm f/1.4 and 70-300mm Nikkor lenses. During that year I took some good images and about 30 of them have found their way onto online stock libraries and been downloaded a few times, but I never really got on with the camera. Back in earlier years I shot weddings and portraits as a hobby and used Olympus bodies (OM1 and OM2). I did all my own processing too, so I'm not new to photographic principals. Making the switch to digital with the D700 was not a good experience for me though. Being used to to film and (as a graphic designer) daily processing high quality images on a Mac, I found 12 megapixels often a little too constraining on larger jobs (double-page spread backgrounds for instance). And the camera never really 'allowed' me to mess about creatively. It's too clinical, too exact, too Nikon. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I fell out of love with photography for a while, and quite often left my camera at home when going out walking etc. I just knew that photographically I wouldn't get what I wanted.

OK, a lot of this has to do with my skills as a photographer, and my ability to use the Nikon to its full potential. But I think a great deal of the photographic experience is about the photographer's sensibilities, the ability to 'see' and create a striking image... without the camera getting in the way. The Nikon got in my way. I just had to sell it.

Enter the Canon EOS 5D Mark ii. Straight out of the box it's a different animal. It doesn't feel as tough as the D700 but it's forgiving, easy to use, intuitive and, above all, creative.

I have just one lens at the moment; an EF 85mm f/1.2 L ii USM. Images from it (and the camera) are staggering... and that's without any post processing.

The video is unbelievable and adds an extra dimension to an already wonderful product. RAW files are capable of use at A2 size and (despite what I've read online) you can save just RAW files on their own... not only in combination with a secondary JPEG. The manual is well written, easily understood and pocket sized.

I would use the word 'clunky' to describe Canon pro stuff. It's almost kind of 'loose' in a way. The Nikon D700 is clinical, something like a BMW... compared to the Canon, which is more like a Land Rover Defender. I know this all sounds a bit silly, but it's the way I think about things. I like to feel comfortable with what I use.

I know which car I would rather drive. And I now know which camera I would rather create with.

The Nikon D700 is a wonderful camera and no doubt it's right for many people. I'm not one of them.

So if you're the arty type, you prefer real ale and you react to things instinctively, I would heartily recommend the Canon EOS 5D. To my mind, the Nikon D700 is a hard working tool for photographers in a hurry... who probably don't like beer.

Finally: a word or ten about Amazon. I paid for express delivery and the camera took one day longer to arrive. Amazon refunded the difference between standard and express delivery immediately. These people understand the principle of retaining good customer relations. I trust them completely and would never hesitate to use them. Well done Amazon. I wish there were more companies like you on the net!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 May 2009
The Canon EOS 5D Mark II is an excellent tool in the hands of anyone serious about photography. Comparing it to models I previously owned (400D, 10D, 20D, 5D), this camera delivers in every single aspect. The improvement over the 5D is so significant that the simple Mark II extension doesn't do the camera justice. Calling it a 6D would have been more appropriate.

The most important additions to me are live view and video. The 10x magnification in live view permits absolute precise manual focussing and immediate feedback to any ISO/shutter speed/aperture changes, as well as white balanced adjustments. Before, I had to take test shots and zoom in. Live view zoom is a much more elegant and quick solution to this. Video is also a major extension. Most point and shoot cameras - and phones - have been supporting photo and video for years. It's good that DSLRs finally catch up. Being able to use the dozen of Canon EF lenses, especially at wide aperture, is great. Sure, there are some limitations such as 30 frames/s instead of 24 frames and no manual adjustment of aperture (work-arounds exist and are well-documented in various online forums), but all in all, it is a highly usable feature.

Apart from that, there are many small additions which make a big difference. For instance, you can now configure your own menu - great for the mirror-lock-up function. ISO is permanently visible in the viewfinder and there is even an Auto ISO function. And the anti-dust sensor shake is also very useful.

This camera is highly recommended.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A great upgrade to the original 5D, with image quality to rival the 1Ds3 which costs twice as much or more, but the focusing system has been taken straight out of the old model and even if has been tweaked a bit, it just isn't good enough on a camera of this price (especially compared to the new Nikons). Doesn't bother me for my line of work too much, but it would bother many to distraction. Shame as it spoils an otherwise virtually perfect product. Well built, well specified and as I said (especially in RAW mode) with simply fantastic image quality
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After 5 months of use I love this camera! I upgraded and changed from my Nikon D70 plus kit that was about 7 years old sold it all to a friend who is now into photography and went over to Canon. Mainly for the Full Frame sensor and Canon's build quality and L glass lenses. But there's so much more about the camera that I love. I have now settled in with the 5D MK II. The LCD display is so much better to check exposure and detail. The menu system is so easy to use and adjust. Awesome piece of kit. My only gripe is I am hooked on Canon and cant stop spending on new kit.
on 19 November 2009
Obtained after a opportunity presented itself I must admit I doubted that I would feel the need for such a camera over my existing 40D, I was wrong. Within a few frames I didn't want to give this stunning camera up, there is just something about full frame that gives images a special look and feel.

I have had some focusing issues, but it turns out my technique was not as good as it should have been and a couple of my lenses needed calibration, thankfully it is easy to fix the latter with the camera calibration setting in the menus. The former is something I will have to live with however.

In the end this camera has reignited my passion for photography. The image quality is nothing short of stunning, the movie stuff is a nice addition, handling is improved over the 40D and it sounds nicer to boot. Scarily I almost feel it justifies its price tag.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have been using a Canon 7D for almost a year and bought a 5D MkII a couple months ago. Although fairly similar in functions, I can only hope that the talked about 5D MkIII will incorporate some of the features of the 7D such as the 19 point autofocus system and a faster continuous shooting speed. However, I must say that unless I need the 8 fps, I now almost always use the 5D MkII because it is such a wonderful camera, it works well under low light and high ISO settings, and when shooting below 3200 ISO will have almost no noise. Even if I need to considerably crop a photo then end results shows virtually no noise. Therefore without hesitation I would highly recommend this camera (while keeping a 7D as a second).
on 3 July 2011
I love this camera. I took it out to a bar with some friends, and although they started off making fun of me wanting to show off my new gadget, once they saw the picture quality they were blown away and all wanted to try shooting stuff with it. My main interest in buying it was for the video mode and it is great. Although there are some problems (compression, rolling shutter, moire are the biggest ones) I'd happily work around them to get the images this thing produces. Due to the full frame sensor, it works great in low light conditions and shallows the depth of field, giving everything a great look when the aperture is opened up.
on 11 September 2009
This is an absolutely superb camera. I currently have a 30D and a 5D (Mark 1) but this beats them hands down. I have a collection of 'L' series lenses and they really complement the camera. The LCD screen is so much better than the 30D/5D and I like the new menu layout. It is very intuitive, especially if you are used to Canon DSLRs.

I don't see me using 'Live View' and I certainly will not be using the HD feature. If I want HD video I will buy an HD camcorder. Why did Canon bother with this feature.

Picture quality is fantastic, as are the A3 prints on my Epson printer.

Like another reviewer, I am surprised about the folk complaining about files sizes. What on earth do the expect from a camera of this resolution?
on 4 September 2012
I've been lusting after this camera for years. I've had a Canon 40D which has done sterling service, but the 5D is another world. Friends at my camera club used this and I always struggled to keep up (my secret weapons have been travel and composition).

I waited for a few years for the successor model, but the Mark III is so much more expensive and, with not that much extra to show, it's a nudge up, not a step up. So, for my 60th birthday (crikey, am I that old?) I got the 5D Mark II. And it doesn't disappoint.

The only annoyance is that I can't use my Canon 10-22 lens with it, which is a pain as it's a great landscape lens. So I've also bought the Sigma 12-24, which has good reviews although with caveats about how best to use it. It also doesn't have a filter thread nor image stabilisation but it seems to be the best out there.